Cigar Etiquette

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Pete

Cigar Etiquette

Post by Pete »

I've recently sparked an interest in the occasional cigar. My local tobacconist also has a smoking lounge, which I've been considering as a place to enjoy a cigar immediately after purchase. I felt it was best to do a bit of research regarding basic cigar etiquette before sharing a smoke with veterans, as not to "make a stain of myself", so to speak. Most of what I've read seems very easy to accept, as it falls under the category of common courtesy. However, there are a few tips I've read that make little sense to me, either due to conflicting information, or the fact that I find it illogical.

1. Cigar Bands - Leave them on, or remove them immediately? There seems to be strong information for both sides of this one, so I don't know there's an easy answer. From the little experience I have with cigars, I can tell you that removing the band without damaging the wrapper isn't easy. What's the consensus?

2. Smoking no more than HALF your cigar? I've read this only once, so perhaps it's only one writer's view. To me, it seems foolish, not to mention wasteful. Granted, I've never needed a roach clip to smoke a cigar, but I have smoked more than 2/3 of a cigar in the privacy of my own home.

3. Clearing ash? Some sources make it seems fashionable to allow your ash to grow, while to me it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Any answer or discussion of these points would be greatly appreciated, as would ANY additional tips you may be able to offer.

Thanks,

Pete
-Pete
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Re: Cigar Etiquette

Post by drP »

Pete wrote:I've recently sparked an interest in the occasional cigar. My local tobacconist also has a smoking lounge, which I've been considering as a place to enjoy a cigar immediately after purchase. I felt it was best to do a bit of research regarding basic cigar etiquette before sharing a smoke with veterans, as not to "make a stain of myself", so to speak. Most of what I've read seems very easy to accept, as it falls under the category of common courtesy. However, there are a few tips I've read that make little sense to me, either due to conflicting information, or the fact that I find it illogical.

1. Cigar Bands - Leave them on, or remove them immediately? There seems to be strong information for both sides of this one, so I don't know there's an easy answer. From the little experience I have with cigars, I can tell you that removing the band without damaging the wrapper isn't easy. What's the consensus?

2. Smoking no more than HALF your cigar? I've read this only once, so perhaps it's only one writer's view. To me, it seems foolish, not to mention wasteful. Granted, I've never needed a roach clip to smoke a cigar, but I have smoked more than 2/3 of a cigar in the privacy of my own home.

3. Clearing ash? Some sources make it seems fashionable to allow your ash to grow, while to me it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Any answer or discussion of these points would be greatly appreciated, as would ANY additional tips you may be able to offer.

Thanks,

Pete
Ad 1. It's strictly and purely personal, there is NO rule for this.

Ad2. Rule of thumb: smoke no more than about 2/3 of your cigar; however, occasionally you can smoke almost til the end....

Ad3. Also a very personal thing: leave the ash as long as you want/dare. This means that you don't have to tap the ash off after each draw, but neither do you let the ash grow until it can fall of every second...practice will give you more feeling over time...
Peter
Zach

Post by Zach »

Pete, as a Rangers fan, I am compelled to offer that 'cigar etiquette' is a contradiction in terms, or an oxymoron if you prefer, like "deafening silence" or "random order".

I don't care much (and know even less) about cigars, but I hate the Flyers and feel compelled to respond in some way.

Go Rangers!
:twisted:
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

1) I believe that all gentlemen were taught to take off the bands immediately, prior to Marvin starting Cigar Aficianado. He thinks that you should leave the band on, and many newbies followed his advice.

Since then, some manufacturers glue the band to the cigar to discourage removal, so that people will see that you are smoking their cigar.

2) Oils collect throughout the length of the cigar as the smoke is drawn. That usually makes the last two inches more bitter.

3) Some people believe that the smoke is hotter when the ash is flicked too frequently.

Pete, I especially recommend a small Miami brand called La Tradicion Cubana, which is the product of a fellow named Luis Sanchez. You may also want to try another Miami company called La Luna. Both of these companies had websites the last time I checked.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I take it off. Why? It gets in the way in case I enjoy the cigar enough to nub, and taking it off while smoking can be a messy, and destructive affair.

Depends on the cigar. Some naturally go out when you get down to certain spot because of how its rolled. Some don't taste good in the last couple of inches. Some I can smoke down until it burns my fingers. CAO Brazilias fall in this last category.

It doesn't really matter too much, but I like to leave about an inch of ash on to keep the smoke cool. Too much ash, and you run the risk of having ash all over your lap if you move too fast. What I do is every so often, I give it one or too soft taps. The loose ash will fall off, and the tight ash with stay on.

Just my take though. Now days there isn't really a real, written down, cigar etiquette. Just be nice when smoking at your shop, and you'll be fine.

Also, if you see a cigar with the name Don Pepin on it, pick it up. :D That man has not put out anything I dislike. He does a line called Tatuaje, which are amazing. If you can find some Rocky Patels that are about a year or so old, pick those up too. He's had some quality issues as of late, and his recent stuff, even the same old blends, just don't taste as good anymore.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

GA Russell wrote:1) I believe that all gentlemen were taught to take off the bands immediately, prior to Marvin starting Cigar Aficianado. He thinks that you should leave the band on, and many newbies followed his advice.
Agreed. My grandfather always removed the band first thing when selecting a cigar. He said it was garish and tacky to leave the band on. If someone was curious about what was being smoked, then you offered one to that person if you had another.
~Greg
minderasr

Post by minderasr »

I sometimes find it easier to remove the label after the cigar is lit. I guess the heat softens the glue. Makes it much simpler to remove the label without damaging the cigar.

I believe you're not supposed to tap the cigar to shorten the ash. It's supposed to fall off naturally.
-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
Pete

Post by Pete »

Zach wrote:Pete, as a Rangers fan, I am compelled to offer that 'cigar etiquette' is a contradiction in terms, or an oxymoron if you prefer, like "deafening silence" or "random order".

I don't care much (and know even less) about cigars, but I hate the Flyers and feel compelled to respond in some way.

Go Rangers!
:twisted:
Well, if it's any consolation, I suspect the Flyers could be joining your Rangers on the Lynx very shortly... perhaps as early as this weekend.

-Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

GA Russell wrote:...Oils collect throughout the length of the cigar as the smoke is drawn. That usually makes the last two inches more bitter...
This is the first I've heard this, but it seems quite logical. Funny, as I was hesitant to buy longer cigars because I wasn't able to finish the shorter ones. Perhaps I need to take this into consideration.
GA Russell wrote:Pete, I especially recommend a small Miami brand called La Tradicion Cubana, which is the product of a fellow named Luis Sanchez. You may also want to try another Miami company called La Luna. Both of these companies had websites the last time I checked.
I thank you for the recommendation, and I welcome any/all. I have been partial to Arturo Fuentes, but have recently been considering fuller flavored cigars. While they Fuentes are enjoyable, I'm beginning to find them almost TOO mild. Some puffs taste like smoke - and ONLY smoke, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!

-Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

MiloFinch wrote:...taking it off while smoking can be a messy, and destructive affair.
The bands on my Fuentes rarely loosen, even after smoking them for a while. I've tried to remove them gently, but when my effort seemed as though they'd damage the wrapper, I just let it be.

-Pete

BTW - Thanks for the recommendation on the Don Pepins and Rocky Patels. May be a silly question, but how can you tell the age of a cigar?
Last edited by Pete on Mon May 12, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Try a Punch Punch Rothschild or a CAO Brazilia Piranha for a nice fuller flavored/bodied smoke. I always have a couple of boxes of each in my fridgeador.

Wayne, who usually removes the bands
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Pete

Post by Pete »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:Agreed. My grandfather always removed the band first thing when selecting a cigar. He said it was garish and tacky to leave the band on. If someone was curious about what was being smoked, then you offered one to that person if you had another.
I have read that it's viewed as tacky, and perhaps pompous. Maybe I'm being TOO careful in my attempt to remove them. Perhaps they're easier to remove on other brands.

I think your grandfather's method of satisfying one's curiosity regarding your cigar is great! I've read that leaving the bands on encourages conversation among smokers, but I'd have to say his method would seem most effective, not to mention incredibly gentlemanly.

-Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

bbqncigars wrote:Try a Punch Punch Rothschild or a CAO Brazilia Piranha for a nice fuller flavored/bodied smoke. I always have a couple of boxes of each in my fridgeador.
In a search of this forum and other shaving forms, I've read good things about Punch cigars. My tobacconist carries Punch, and I was going to purchase one, but was hesitant to do so due to the fact that they are said to be most full-flavored. I've been buying only singles, so I'll have to add a Punch to the list. CAO Brazilia I've not heard of, but I'll check to see if they carry them, as well.

Thanks,

-Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

minderasr wrote:I believe you're not supposed to tap the cigar to shorten the ash. It's supposed to fall off naturally.
While these videos may be a bit over-the-top, I found them quite helpful. This particular video supports your statement, in that it's "technically" bad etiquette to tap your cigar. Admittedly, I've NEVER seen anyone remove ash using the method the presenter uses... or at least I've never noticed it. It seems to work for him, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0vsAkiI ... re=related

-Pete
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Pete wrote: BTW - Thanks for the recommendation on the Don Pepins and Rocky Patels. May be a silly question, but how can you tell the age of a cigar?
Ask your tobacconist. Chances are he won't have any that are old though. Not that there's anything wrong with his new stuff, just the old ones were better, and no because of the age. The ones I was smoking a year ago were just higher quality than the ones I'm smoking now.

I second the Punch Rothschilds as well. Don't worry, they're not so harsh. You want to talk about strong, have a Joya de Nicaragua Gran Consul. I've been smoking cigars for years, and this one made me dizzy, and sit back down after I tried standing up.

Also, give the Padron Thousand series a try (2000, 3000, etc). They're the plain banded ones. I prefer the 3000. They're all the same blend, just in different sizes. It has the best balance of wrapper, filler, and binder. The 2000 is a little tangy for my taste.

Bucaneros are good too. But they're a small company, so they're sort of limited in the amount of stores they distribute to.

Fuente 8-7-8 are a good classic, all around smoke. They're the bread and butter of the Fuente line.

The best piece of advice I can give when getting into cigars is to build a relationship with your tobacconist. Not only will your wealth of knowledge grow, but he'll be more apt to give you discounts and throw in an extra here and there. :D
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
Loki

Post by Loki »

1. I agree that the band should come off as soon as possible. I learned early that it is pretentious to leave the band on. After a few puffs the heat usually softens the glue and the sucker slips right off.

2. I have never heard the half rule. I smoke it untill I dont like it anymore. Actually the shorter it gets the better it tastes IMO. Usually time is what shortens the smoke. Smoking a cigar usually commands a 30-60 minute commitment. I've ruined a few good smokes by running out of time.

3. I will leave the ash long and never tap it off. Roll it off in the ash tray. Leaving the ash on can tell you a great deal how well the cigar was made. The ash should be even on all sides as it burns down. Often a poorly rolled puro will burn quicker on one side. This can be a good guage for your next purchase.

Mostly though enjoy your smoke and smoke what and how you like. Insert jokes here....... :wink:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
El Yanqui

Post by El Yanqui »

The answer to all three questions is do what tickles your fancy. It's your cigar.

I personally prefer to remove the bands. Most of my cigars come from cabinets and don't have them anyway, although Havana has recently started putting them on. If my smoke has a band, I'll usually remove it when it loosens so as not to tear the wrapper.

As to when to pitch a cigar: When you are no longer enjoying it. I've dumped some at 1/8 down when I wasn't liking it and others I've burned my fingers on.

I tap the ash right before it falls. Sometimes I'm late and it lands in my lap. Such is life.

Seriously, don't let anyone tell you how to smoke a cigar. They're supposed to be enjoyable so do what you enjoy.
Cheers,

Dale
RIDave

Post by RIDave »

Welcome to one of the last acts of a civilized society.

The Band I remove the band only after the heat of the cigar releases the gum that is used to attach it .
One of the legends of the band , and there are several, is that bands were placed on to protect the ladies fingers when they smoked.

Smoke as much as you want. Some of least expensive choices only allow me to smoke 2/3 or less. The acids collect at the foot, you'll know when you need to stop. Conversly when I smoke , say an AVO 787 I stick a toothpick in the end to hold it.

You didn't mention relighting a cigar. Winston Churchill said a cigar should never be lit more than twice. I never go more than 3 times, and after I do a relight I blow through the cigar to evacuate any ammonia or bitterness

Ash is determined by the quality of the cigar and who rolled it. I like Cusano products but don't expect a long ash. Spark up a davidoff and you can keep a long ash. Longer ash keeps the cigar cooler, also look at the ash it can tell you a lot about the soil the tobacco was grown in.

smoke slowly. If you have a pyramid on your head of your cigar than you are smoking to fast and heating up . Cigars like shaving are a period of meditation, feel and taste the flavors changing. Find the Zone

May all your cigars be rolled on the naked thighs of virgins.

DaveR - enjoying the leaf for 36 years-
Musago Pre Shave Oil
Poraso pre/post
Trumper Violet, Musago Real, Poraso
Nancy Boy C&E soap Tabac
Merkur HD
Musago Original Scent. Loreal for Men
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

Great advice here on these questions. Cigars are one of my passions, I hope someday I can enjoy being back in that line of business as I really do miss it.

The bands I've always viewed as a personal preference and nothing more. I have some friends that can't stand the band on the cigar and others that wouldn't dare take it off. I tend to leave mine on until the cigar is about halfway smoked, by that point it usually comes off easily. I'd rather not damage the cigar trying to remove it and I also like to not tear the bands as I collect them, they make really interesting art projects! If the band is loosely applied I'll just slide it off, I don't take any special effort to keep it on. OpusX bands on the other hand can be quite difficult to remove and it's almost necessary to leave them on until the heat loosens the gum enough to remove it.

Smoking only half the cigar is another one of those odd practices that seemed to become more popular with Cigar Aficionado's suggestions several years ago. It appears most agree just smoke it until it is no longer enjoyable. A high quality tobacco will smoke to the nub. I couldn't imagine throwing out half of a Davidoff Double R!

Once you've gotten some experience with cigar smoking it won't take you long to get a feel of when the ash is ready drop off. You certainly never want to thump it off or keep it short too short. As Dave said, the long ash is a good indicator of the cigar's quality and also keeps it from overheating which will accelerate the point the flavor starts to turn sour and unpleasant.
Mike
Pete

Post by Pete »

I am very pleased with the overwhelming response this thread has yielded in such a short period of time. Thank you to all for the advice and recommendations.... KEEP IT COMING!

I have never been one to smoke cigarettes (although my father and girlfriend do), and right now my smoking is limited to a cigar or two only on weekends. At this point, it's simply a means of unwinding and celebrating the end of a work week. I'm still buying single sticks - only enough to smoke that weekend. Having a local tobacconist seems much like having a local fruit & vegetable stand - buy only what you are using within the next couple of days.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a small humidor. For as often as I smoke, I don't know that I necessarily need one... but admittedly I'm curious.

-Pete