A self confessed "Retro Grouch"

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
kaptain_zero

A self confessed "Retro Grouch"

Post by kaptain_zero »

What exactly is a Retro Grouch? The term I believe was coined by a cycling magazine when refering to Grant Petersen of Rivendell bicycles fame. Grant always felt that this newfangledness didn't "improve" the experience of riding a bike. I could go on for hours but if you have an interest in cycling and have not heard of Rivendell you may wish to check this website:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com

For me, this was the start towards searching out all that really made sense to me, technology and advancement is fine but when it goes awry it really is a sad thing to behold. Those of you on the forum know what I speak of, just look at the state of (and I use the term VERY looslely) modern shaving. Electric, rechargable, rotary, 2 blades, 3 blades, 4 blade... do I hear 5, ah yes to the gent in the back..... How many toxic Ni-cad batteries in long since useless rechargable shavers are now in our wastedumps leaching chemicals into the soil... how many plastic shaving handles (which still might have been usable had you been able to replace the blade alone) are going in the dump? I just picked up a couple of razors, one datestamped 1932 in perfect condition, I installed a $0.40 blade and it'll shave me for a week! Ok, I need not preach to you... this is exactly why you are here, isn't it?

When the mention of Old Taylor of Bond street and other such merchants find my ear I think of other fine British products that I still purchase and use today. Simple things, like a real leather bicycle saddle... the most comfortable seat you can find if you're willing to break it in. Modern seats come in a vast array of petrochemical materials, not one which truely molds itself to your very personal hind end, nor will it last 20 to 30 years and safely decompose at the end of it's lifecycle!

http://www.brookssaddles.com/

And for real saddlebags there's also:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/

I also got tired of the New Improved and Enriched factory baked bread... I now purchase whole grains and grind them myself, toss only natural ingredients into my Bosch universal mixer and make 6 one and a half pound loaves of bread per batch in less that 2 hrs including cleanup! Not only that, but my bread includes *all* the nutirents of the wheatgerm, you know.... that pesky little bit in the kernal that the "modern flour mills remove because if they didn't, it would go rancid while deteriorating in storage". Of course, you are most welcome to purchase it seperately, for an additional sum. Ah... I hear you say "What, an electric mixer?, and yes I said I had nothing against modern technology when it makes sense. Check with your nearest Bosch Univeral mixer dealer and you'll find that these beasts will last a lifetime in hard use.... The Kitchenaid machines are not in the same league...

Digital cameras.... I have a bittersweet love affair with these devices, they eliminate all the chemical waste from the old silver based processes but they on the otherhand give rise to the replacable ink cartridge in my inkjet printer. I'm surprised that our disposable razor manufacturers didn't get in on the act! Still... there are ways around this dilemma as well.... refill and reuse is possible. There are printer manufacturers who try to make it as difficult as they can and I avoid those with a passion, the unit I have not only uses individual color cartridges but makes them of a see through plastic so that even lowly little I can see when it's time to refill it. They even thought of me when it comes to the print head, I can actually remove mine for cleaning should it ever become plugged up. Yes, it can be done... modern design and materials with a view of the future. My other pieve with digital imaging is the planned obsolesence with the various models. Today a manufacturer plans on something like a 6 to 18 month lifespan of a model. Something around 12 months is probably the average.... Still, I find them usefull, I stayed away until the 4 megapixel units became reasonably priced... I bought mine maybe a 2 years ago now, and it still is perfectly usuable. I plan to keep it for a long time although the electronics inside being so miniscule with surface mount components means it has a limited lifespan just because of it's size. Electrolytic capacitors for one seem to only last so long as the do involve compounds that can dry out.

Well, I could go on and on, things like Olfa style knives with the snap off blades, conveniant yes but but I've had a pocket knife I use at work for cutting paper/cardboard and non-metalic strapping for 18 years and it's got another 18 years left if I don't loose it. All I need to do is sharpen it once in a while......

So... yeah, I'm a retro grouch....... Maybe you are too? :-)

Time to go put the Corey vac pot with permanent glass rod filter on the stove... I need a cup of java... made from freshly roasted beans I got today, from my Coffee roasting retro grouch friend. Did I mention that if your coffee beans are older than 2 weeks after roasting, they are horribly stale.... and if you're buying gound coffee... I hope it's not more than 20 minutes since it was ground, cuz if it is... it's stale!

Regards

Christian
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, so i am a work in progress on the retro grouch, lol.

plastic cups: you had better believe when we go to knoxville this weekend for the game and to see my daughter, those souvenier cups of cola are coming home with me.

colognes: i have a mixture of old stuff and the new.

sam
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Dude you need to lighten up :lol: .

Seriously, a lot of us on the board are traditionalists. We do not jump on the latest and greatest advertised. I like things simple and easy. I recently upgraded my digi cam and have yet to read and learn about all the bells and whistles. I just use it on automatic.

Welcome to our world.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Hmmm...
blackpowder muzzle-loading caplock rifles and shotguns
If I'm going to have to go waterfowl hunting with a black powder firearm, I'll follow the old traditions to a tee... make mine a punt gun, I refuse to reload in the field! :lol: Barring that and turning to upland game I would have to insist on a nice Brno over/under in 20ga... my all time favorite. Did I mention I used to be a gunsmith some 20 years ago?

Wet process photography...., almost sounds on topic, doesn't it? Well, lets see here... I've have a Minolta X2 range finder, the only leaf shutter I've found that would do 1/2000 of a sec. I had a full Olympus kit, OM's 1, 2 and 4 with about half a dozen lenses from 24mmF2 to 350mmF4.5 ( I still miss that one), Bronica SQ with 3 lenses and my big rig was a Sinar Professional, 5"x7" sheet film, with extension rails, Rodenstock lenses, 4"x5" reducer and assorted accessories. In the darkroom, an Omega D5xl with color head, a Phillips 6x6 medium format with additive color head, the sweetest item in the darkroom was my sodium vapor safelight... I could read the newspaper sitting in a chair while developing b&w papers! I neved did find an affordable 5"x7" enlarger though.... Oh yes, shouldn't forget the Jobo processor either for those days when I had too much film to process.... Favorite films were Tri-x, Plus-x and in the Olympus it would have to be Techpan pushed to the wall using every trick in the book...

Pens?!?! Nope.... my scribbling is so bad I could have been a Dr! :wink:

Vacuum tubes? Well, another one of my hobbies had to of course be Ham Radio... so I have sat in the warm glow listing to static on one of the many Heathkit rigs I've played with over the years..... Now there's a dying hobby... it used to be experimental and that was loads of fun, now it's mostly appliance operators buying overpriced junk radios... modern design electronics with a built in limited lifespan. Argh... I can feel the vitriol building up....

Oh well, unfortunatly most of these hobbies are no more for me. All those chemicals I used to stick my hands into in the darkroom appear to have caught up with me... my hands now suffer with eczema on a regular basis, come to think of it is has just flared up again.. perhaps related to the shaving creams I'm playing with?!?!

Anyway, thanks for another chance to wander down memory lane... might as well practice now... before I get old! :twisted:

Christian
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Caplocks?!! I don't know about those newfangled guns. One of my favorite handguns to shoot (and least favorite to clean) is my kit built Harper's Ferry .58 flintlock. A properly working flinter is a real joy to shoot. I always have guys begging to try it when I bring it to the range. The fact that it shakes the whole range when it fires may have a little to do with it. :wink:

Wayne, who alternated it with the Automag last weekend
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

kaptain_zero wrote:Pens?!?! Nope.... my scribbling is so bad I could have been a Dr! :wink:
If you like, you can visit here for (in my opinion) a simple, elegant, and normal-looking plan for making your handwriting not suck.
I'm almost fast enough with it to ditch my bad old printing.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Notthesharpest, is that your webpage?!?!

I've never mentioned it but even though I was born and now live in Canada, I spent most of my youth in Norway! I'm afraid the teachers in Norway just gave up on me and my handwriting... To be honest, it's not that bad anymore as I get lots of practice working at Canada Post. Still... calligraphy is one of those skills I hope to find time to master.... someday.

Regards

Christian
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

No - Gunnlaugur S.E. Briem is a type designer (and apparently some sort of writing expert) from Iceland.

I am a Canadian, who has never been to Iceland, Norway, or in fact anywhere outside of North America, and my only connection with Mr. Briem is that my writing may soon no longer look like that of a heavy-handed and very nervous six-year-old. :lol: