New bicycle

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
sgtrecon212

New bicycle

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Well, not new, but new to me. It's a 1989 Schwinn World Sport 12 speed road bike.

I've been wanting a new bike like I had circa the 70s. It was a Sears 10 speed road bike. I'd been riding a Huffy Stalker trail bike since 1994. I got it from the Ft Hood PX with a gift certificate I got from being the 1st Cav Division Soldier of the Year. That seems so long ago.

Anyway, this Schwinn is a great ride. It's in really good shape for a 20 year old bike. It shifts smoothly, and the shifters are the indexing type. In addition, the wheels have quick releases which makes it easy to transport. It's very light.

Pretty happy with my new/old bike.

Last edited by sgtrecon212 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Steve

Ride it in good health and stay away from toronto :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/world ... da.html?em

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Now that's a *proper* bike, and in a proper colour, too. Much more elegant than those damn things that look like athletic shoes or Fusion razors...
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
John 5

Post by John 5 »

I like it. Simple, elegant.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Steve,

I have a soft spot in my heart for Schwinn's. They used to be handmade in Chicago where I grew up as a lad. They were built like tanks.

Enjoy your new old ride!!!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
NickNCut

Post by NickNCut »

That is a very good looking ride.

The only thing you might want to look into upgrading-is the seat. They have come a long way in the past 20 years. The new ones may look skinny and uncofortable, but they just support where needed and don't rub where not.
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Ditch the indexing for friction shifters--less maintenance. Better yet, ditch the gears and convert to single speed (or fixed gear if you're looking for a good time).

That's a beautiful frame in fine condition.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Three thumbs up! :mrgreen:

Great vintage bike and I'll second the friction shifters if you can find them. Turning the bike into a single speed coaster or with a flipflop hub so you can switch to a fixed gear drive train would be great but perhaps best suited to an enthusiast.

A few things that would really make that bike look and ride great would be to swap out the saddle for a nice honey brown Brooks saddle... and... what the heck, hang a nice Carradice traditional waxed cotton saddle bag off the purpose built loops on the back of that Brooks saddle. And finally, a nice mustache handlebar, tape wrapped and coated with shellac, bar end friction shifters and uh....... sorry, I'm getting carried away! :oops:

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
DEF

Post by DEF »

That brings back memories. Back in '85, I did a 500 mile tour on a black Schwinn World Sport. Mine had white and yellow accents instead of the red, and traditional friction vs. indexed shifting, but was otherwise very similar. I had mine gussied up with two water bottle cages, a pump mount, toe cages, and a rear rack with a small saddle bag. Not the lightest bike, by any means, but mechanically solid. Enjoy!
Doug
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I love road bikes.

The old Schwinns were real winners, imo. Not to steal any thunder, while I have posted pics before of my Specialized Sequioa I am posting a pic again below.

Some day I'd like to own a Roubaix - they are, imo, the best bike value available today.

Of course, if $$ weren't a consideration, then I think I'd own a Cervelo.

The best ride on two wheels, imo.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gillette1904

Post by Gillette1904 »

Pashley Roadster Sovreign.

Hand built in England.

WANT.
Best, Michael
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

The Pashley is a very beautiful old style, steel framed bike. I found them in the US for $1500. Quite inexpensive for a handmade bike that comes with a Brooks leather saddle, but I wouldn't have expected anything less than the Brooks saddle.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
redriver

Post by redriver »

that's a cool bike man. 8)
drumana

Post by drumana »

nice bike... nice...
-Andrew-
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Yes, the OEM seat has to go. I have one from another bike I may try.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gillette1904 wrote:Image

Pashley Roadster Sovreign.

Hand built in England.

WANT.
Gorgeous -- just don't try to take a time trial or hit 80km/hr on a downhill run -- you'd be toast. :wink:

Seriously -- this is one fabulous piece of English engineering, for sure. Too bad they lost Rover and Jag..... :(
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I like the look of Avon Bicycles for that throwback to the olde English bikes. I can't see prices on the site any more, but I'm sure they were there previously, and were very resonable (barring the cost of the flight to India - of course, fly to India, stay a week, pick up an Avon bike and fly back and you may still spoend less than $1500*).

(*I have absolutely nothing upon which to base this claim, other than the length of bristle I found in the sink this morning.)
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

There are also the dutch bikes available from Jorg & Olif. Only not quite the same price range as the Avon perhaps.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.