A prayer for our friends in Texas

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Sam wrote:Yet gas that was about $3.45 or so this morning is close to $4.00 when I saw it.
Gas here went from $3.63 to $4.19 today.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

I found the streaker on the Weather Channels site

It's in the last 4 or so seconds of the report.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Zach

Post by Zach »

Was pleased to hear storm surge in Galveston was only 11 feet, not the outrageously over-predicted 25 feet. I'm starting to hate the sensationalist news media that has spread to the reporting of weather. News from Galveston still slow to come, I read that there were over 20K people that did not leave the area and that Galveston police got over 100 calls for help over the night (that they were not able to respond to) and there were lots of fires and 4 million plus without power.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

We made it through without very much damage. They are telling us not to expect power to come back any time soon. There are large trees down across my street in both directions. Not that I had anywhere to go anyway.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Jim, good news, I hope the same is true for most out there, but I see now there is a lot of flooding damage, unfortunately.
Royal Flush

Post by Royal Flush »

Ive JUST got power and internet, just posting right now to let y'all know I'm fine, right now the roofers are at work, soon we should get the carpet people in. I'll explain stuff in detail later on, but overall I'm somewhat astonished in the "planning" for this hurricane.
-Syed
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Syed, thank you for letting us know how you are. When you g et a chance, tell us about the conditions you find.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Roof AND floor? Shit; I can just imagine. If you've never had a flood before, you cannot relate to what a pain in the ass recovery is, especially now with all this mold fear; Syed, unfortunately I myself can relate very well. The fact that you have people already working on this is good news; I hope for a speedy recovery.

Best,

Zach
otherstar

Post by otherstar »

Well, we made it through pretty well all things considered. We lost lots of limbs from trees, but no whole trees. We lost some shingles off of the house and several off of the garage. My carport, somehow, survived intact. We just got power back around midnight last night. Luckily, the temperature broke somewhat a few days after the storm and it wasn't too bad "camping out" as it were. The eye went right over us at some point and that was just strange having the storm all but quit for a bit and then start back up. Better get back to doing laundry, etc.
Turn me over, I'm done on this side...St. Lawrence

--Jeff
Zach

Post by Zach »

Good to hear; much better than that "Don't come back to Galveston" news I've been reading. Sadly, it turned out a lot worse than I thought it would.
gooup

Post by gooup »

As a South Louisianian, i want to send my prayers and thoughts to my neighbors in Texas. Gustav dealt quite a wallop to our hometown, and Ike caused some significant flooding in the Southern reaches of our Parish. I hope and pray that all the ones you care about are alive and well.
Cheers,
gooup
Zach

Frightening pictures

Post by Zach »

These are some scary pictures

I'm going to pass on any discussions about prayer, sadly. :cry:
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Zach,
Those pics just make me want to bawl.I live just south of Surfside and have spent many days on those beaches with my kids. My home was spared but we did have quite a few trees down so the cleanup is ongoing. The strange thing is that around here the high winds seemed to be up off the ground a ways. I had a few items on the ground that never moved but my trees were twisted and broke off about 30 feet off the ground.
It is good to hear that our coastal members seemed to have fared okay through this storm.
I'm going to try to get out later this week in my boat and check out to see how our areas coastal water has changed since the storm.
Stay safe.
Bob
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I live in an older neighborhood with a lot of older trees. That makes for a lot of downed power lines. It has been ten days without power so far but we are better off than many others. Still, a hot shave with plenty of light would be nice!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Rev,
You certainly have my sympathy,it must be a real pain to be without power for that long.I have friends who still don't have power,but they are welcome to soak up my a/c anytime. :lol:
The one thing that has really gotten my goat around here is all the burning going on without thought to the people without a/c trying to stay cool with their windows and doors open.
They really need to wait until power is restored everywhere.
Glad to hear you are safe.
Take care.
Bob
otherstar

Post by otherstar »

It's the same up here near Kingwood. Lots of burning going on, so it really stinks outside. Most of the area has power now (we've had it since late Thursday night/early Friday morning), but the burning is bad. We are going to wait until it cools down again to do any more work.

--Jeff
Zach

Post by Zach »

What is being burned, what used to be houses and fences and so on, clearing out the debris? You want I should call Al Gore? :P
otherstar

Post by otherstar »

No houses being burned that I've seen, just cut up trees, branches, and limbs. It's getting better, it's just that we are in an unincorporated area so there is no service to pick them up and the only option is to burn them, I just wish more would have waited until power was back on so I wouldn't have had to smell it inside. Don't call Al Gore until I have a chance to get my yard cleaned up and the stuff burned (we have power, so the A/C will keep the smell out).

--Jeff
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Crap! I got electricty back tonight! That's sixteen days. I like camping as much as the next manly man but this was too much. I'm getting a whole house generator. I will never be put in this situation again.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Jim, I assume you had running water and phones? What did you guys do for food, shop every day? And did the markets have power? I bet you're tired of the BBQ as well; so sorry to hear this!