Help with a pipe

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rich53

Help with a pipe

Post by Rich53 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Good evening,
I want to smoke a pipe again. I am always strapped for cash and I'm thinking about a Peterson system 317. I do know I want a bent stem. Any one have any thoughts?

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.

JimR

Post by JimR » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Well, I used to smoke a pipe in college and I never found it to be an excessively expensive habit. It can be, of course, but that's all on your taste.
The Peterson pipes always seemed a bit overpriced to me, and the "system" never seemed to make such a difference. Also, the mounting on the stem I know gave some people trouble, coming loose and in some occasions falling right off. Of course, that's been a good ten years ago...I have no idea what they're like now, and it was probably a "budget" line thing.

Personally, I preferred Italian pipes like Savinelli, or Danish pipes in general.
You can also get some lovely meerschaums for a good price, if you don't mind an acrylic mouthpiece.

Edited because obviously, you live in Massachusetts, so OK is not really an option.

Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:41 am

If you want to dip your foot in the water instead of diving in the most cost effective avenue would be a corncob pipe. That is what I started with and I still occasionally smoke one. It was good enough for General Macarthur so it can't be too shabby. The Peterson system pipes have been around since the late 1800s. Those that like them swear by them and they make a decent pipe. They require more maintenance and I never cared for the "P" lip which directs the stream of smoke to the roof of the mouth. To each his own though. Try some GL Pease Robusto whatever pipe you choose. Great stuff.
Regards,

jimmy

jtpca

Post by jtpca » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 am

You may consider a Medico Varsity for a great entry/cost effective unit. For a bit more $ the Wessex Classic Sandblast 600 series is a nice smoke. Both are fine straight pipes.

Some Captain Black Blue and cognac makes for a pleasant evening. This only occurs quarterly as I am told it is a nasty habit!!!

Hope this helps.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman

DEF

Post by DEF » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:19 pm

For dabbling, I'd recommend a drugstore Dr. Grabow pipe. I have a smallish bent pipe in a "rustic" finish that actually is solid for the money. Especially at first, you may find yourself relighting a lot, and you run the risk of scorching the rim of your bowl until you know what you're doing. I'd rather do that on a cheap utility pipe than on a Petersen or Savinelli.

Get your tobacco at a real tobacconist, though; I wouldn't trust the drugstore inventory for freshness. Go ahead and get some sweet aromatic blends if you're interested; there are a lot of great boozy, fruity, caramel-ly mixes that are beginner friendly.

Remember to get some basic wood matches, a tamping nail to keep the ash nice and compact, and some pipe cleaners, too. Be careful not to draw to aggressively or you'll overheat the pipe and sip some nasty gurgly juice.

Regards,
Doug

MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:45 pm

DEF wrote: Get your tobacco at a real tobacconist, though; I wouldn't trust the drugstore inventory for freshness. Go ahead and get some sweet aromatic blends if you're interested; there are a lot of great boozy, fruity, caramel-ly mixes that are beginner friendly.
Real men start out with Dunhill Royal Yacht. And they like it! :wink:

Seriously though. I rather remember liking Blue Note a lot when I first started smoking.

Now, I stick to the 965 and the like. I especially like Frog Morton too, though I haven't had some in a while. Nightcap is a good one too.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Squadron Leader
Regards,
Squire

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:55 pm

MiloFinch wrote: I especially like Frog Morton too, though I haven't had some in a while. Nightcap is a good one too.
+1

Frog Morton was a favorite of mine as well.
I only smoked Nightcap a little--If I recall correctly, it was a bit heavy on the Perique for my tastes.
Frog Morton On The Town is a nice one, too. Very mild, very smooth.

Rich53

Post by Rich53 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Thursday I'm going to a pipe store....I smoked a pipe for 20 years and stopped 20 years ago. Yeah I know, I ain't young......I am still deciding what to get......thanks for the help.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.

MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey, you can never go wrong with a $20 factory seconds basket pipe. I have a few of those. In fact, I've only got one "nice" pipe. Just make sure and inspect it first. I've picked up a few that shouldn't have been even sold.

But I'm more of a cigar guy anyway. I just dabble in pipery.

This thread is making me want to go sit outside and smoke one.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.

Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:50 pm

MiloFinch wrote:
Now, I stick to the 965 and the like. I especially like Frog Morton too, though I haven't had some in a while. Nightcap is a good one too.
I like 965 on cold evenings. The latakia reminds me of being around a campfire.
:wink:

kd7kip

Post by kd7kip » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:22 pm

Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe. Yum!

Stopped by the tobacconist this morning to get some EMP: they were out. Chap behind the counter explained the importer is discontinuing most of the Dunhill imports since Americans like the sweeter "cherry and maple syrup blends".

Nightcap has apparently ceased to be manufactured, which is gut- wrenchingly sad as it was one of a kind, and had a Hell of a kick (after 3 or 4 bowls).

Squadron Leader is a splendid blend, but a little too mild for my tastes. 965 too mild, also-- I bought some today and the tobacconist was kind enough to add some straight Latakia to perk it up a mite.

I plan to buy a pound or two of EMP bulk while it is still available…

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm watching the value of my hoard of pre-Orlik (blended by Murray's) EMP, Nightcap, Royal Yacht, London Mixture and Standard Mixture rise!

Talking of Orlik, Dark Strong Kentucky wasn't bad, especially in a Kirsten.

Chris
Those were the days...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

Jukkie

Post by Jukkie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 pm

I've considered many times whether I should grab myself a pipe.

I'm wondering though, does pipe tobacco contain all the same additives as cigarette tobacco? Surely the tobacco must be higher quality so they wouldn't need the additives as much?

While no forms of smoking are healthy, would a pipe be a potentially suitable way for a cigarette smoker with an oral fixation to ween away from the habit of inhaling? Would the absorption of tobacco through the mouth be low enough to help with weening my daily nicotine intake to make a quitting attempt less harsh?

Basically I hate the way cigarettes make me feel, and I run so I'd like to help my lungs out a bit, but an addiction is an addiction, and I've had a lot going on making it hard to think about quitting seriously. Would this be a suitable band-aid solution to at least reduce the immediate damage I'm doing to myself?

cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:15 pm

I'm not the Dr. here, but I bought a cigar sampler and researched this recently before I lit up.

Pipes are less bad for you. Some study in the late 70's had pipe smokers living longer than nonsmokers!

I think the advantage of pipes over cigarettes is that pipes are easier on the lungs and give you a less deadly form of cancer.

My neighbor smoked a pipe and lived into his 90's. However the last few years of that were without saliva glands and he wasn't happy.

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Jukkie wrote:I've considered many times whether I should grab myself a pipe.

I'm wondering though, does pipe tobacco contain all the same additives as cigarette tobacco? Surely the tobacco must be higher quality so they wouldn't need the additives as much?

While no forms of smoking are healthy, would a pipe be a potentially suitable way for a cigarette smoker with an oral fixation to ween away from the habit of inhaling? Would the absorption of tobacco through the mouth be low enough to help with weening my daily nicotine intake to make a quitting attempt less harsh?

Basically I hate the way cigarettes make me feel, and I run so I'd like to help my lungs out a bit, but an addiction is an addiction, and I've had a lot going on making it hard to think about quitting seriously. Would this be a suitable band-aid solution to at least reduce the immediate damage I'm doing to myself?
Every single time you light up, no matter what it is that you light, you're making a decision to keep on smoking, which is the opposite of quitting. Don't do the opposite of what you say you want. Be true to your own wishes. If you truly want to keep smoking, then at least tell the truth and enjoy it. If you want to quit, then quit, and enjoy that. Quitting is not a mentally difficult thing if it's what you really want.

"Easy for him to say": BS. You're a runner and athlete. Training is tiring and painful, but it's what you really want, so you do it, and do it gladly. I'm happy not to be a runner, because I honestly don't like it, and so the pain would never be worth it to me. I spend hours every day doing stuff that would probably bore you to tears, but I love what I do.

Smoking is enjoyable. Other things are enjoyable. Life itself is enjoyable, one way or the other, somehow. You choose. But after you choose, don't go and do the opposite.

[/sermon] :)

Jukkie

Post by Jukkie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:14 am

Quitting is a challenge one way or another, chemical withdrawal kicks in regardless of how bad you want to quit, and it does get to be a stress factor when you're used to smoking at least 10 a day as a way to pass the day.

To put my situation simply, I have too much free access to cigarettes, too much time which I can't spend doing much else, and too much that I've already gotta worry about making me edgy without being edgier from withdrawal.

You think running's bad, try it on lung full of phlegm. The fact that I run is plenty of motivation to quit, trust me when I say that it's bad circumstances to start quitting and going through the withdrawal. I've quit before, so I know what I can do.

So for now, no, I don't want to quit smoking, I want to keep enjoying it until I've changed some circumstances, then I want to actually quit.

If I can limit the damage until then, smart move. If this were my attempt at slowly weening off the addiction, I'd be looking for patches or gum instead. But that's not my plan because I know that stuff doesn't actually help you quit at all. Weening is a flawed quitting method.

Anyways, let's not derail this thread.

BlankTim

Re: Help with a pipe

Post by BlankTim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Rich53 wrote:Good evening,
I want to smoke a pipe again. I am always strapped for cash and I'm thinking about a Peterson system 317. I do know I want a bent stem. Any one have any thoughts?

regards,
The Peterson Aran Pipe #B11 is currently my favorite.
I have three others, all bents; a "Missouri Meerschaum" with a chunky rubber bit on it, a Savanelli that I bought for my Granddad the Christmas before he passed, and a bent bulldog basket POS, it "gurgles" terribly, that I keep meaning to fix, but I always reach for the Aran first.
IIRC, I paid $75.00 for mine a couple of years ago but it looks like they're down to about $65.00 most places online currently.

The Missouri Meerschaums (Corn Cob Pipes) are always a good buy. They start at around the $5.00 mark in most shops and I don't think I've ever seen one that cost more than $15.00. If you're careful not to run them too hot they'll last a long time. The one I have is least 5 years old now and still smokes just fine.
I don't use it often, maybe a couple times a month, but still that's not bad on the budget at that rate.

I'll close with some new acronyms for you:
PAD - Pipe Acquisition Disorder
TAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder

They're just as expensive any shaving related AD. More so probably. :lol:
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...

nolawis

Pipe tobacco

Post by nolawis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm fond of most of the house blends of Georgetown Tobacco, especially their Reverie blend. One of the few things that actually makes me miss being assigned to DC.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.

D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:55 pm

meerschaums are great. i dont smoke a pipe, but i have one as a cigarette holder (the shorter variety).

you can get something really nice looking at a very affordable price.