baseball glove?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Big Swifty

baseball glove?

Post by Big Swifty »

Hello gents,
Lately I have been shopping for a new ball glove so that I can start playing in an adult softball league. I have not purchased a glove in about 20 years since I played baseball in H.S. I have always really liked Rawlings gloves as they have been the gold standard for gloves for years. I never had the money to get the higher end models (gold glove, Heart of the hide) but I loved the ones that I used. Recently I visited a small baseball oriented sporting goods store here in Vegas and the selection was overwhelming to say the least. I must have tried on no less than 50 mitts! I had decided I wanted a new heart of the hide Rawlings and I was trying all the different sizes but a 12 in softball really didn't fit in the pocket too well. Then a young kid who worked there informed me that all the top tier Rawlings are pretty much baseball gloves. He showed me their softball range of Rawlings and they pretty much were cheap and felt that way. Then I tried on some Mizunos and Eastons but nothing reached out and grabbed me, then he started talking about Nokona...hmmm, never heard of them. He said they have been around a long time and made some really high quality stuff (made in USA) and had a loyal following. I must say they were quite comfy and felt really good. Has anyone here ever heard of Nokona basevall gloves? I just wanted to see what anyone here thought before I go searching for some wierd baseball forum.
thanx...
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

(Baseball My Face is a painful place to visit...) :)
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

speaking as someone who pitched from teeball - senior year of high school i will say that either the rawlings gold glove series or a company called ZETT are awesome gloves.
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Steve,
If you are playing softball all you need to worry about is finding a glove that is comfortable on your hand, big enough to catch a softball, and is the right length for the position you are playing (longer if you you are a pitcher, 1st baseman, 3rd baseman, or outfield; a bit shorter if you are a middle infielder.) I have played competitive baseball for the past six years, pitching over 100 innings per year, so I give my gloves a pretty serious workout. You know what I've discovered? It doesn't make a shred of difference how much I spend on a glove. I usually buy a $35-$40 dollar glove every year or two, off the rack, from my local sporting goods outlet. If you are the kind of guy who has to have the best of everything then by all means, but you certainly don't need a "heart of the hide" glove to play recreational softball (nevermind the fact that they are meant for baseball.) In fact, there is a derogatory term for guys who show up all decked out in expensive equipment that may or may not be appropriate, without any regard for whether or not they can actually play.

Now shoes are a different story. I only play once or twice a week depending on the time of year and my feet take a beating. No wonder most older Major League players can't run anymore. I don't know how some of those guys can walk after a long season.
Brett
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Brett G wrote:Steve,
If you are playing softball all you need to worry about is finding a glove that is comfortable on your hand, big enough to catch a softball, and is the right length for the position you are playing (longer if you you are a pitcher, 1st baseman, 3rd baseman, or outfield; a bit shorter if you are a middle infielder.) I have played competitive baseball for the past six years, pitching over 100 innings per year, so I give my gloves a pretty serious workout. You know what I've discovered? It doesn't make a shred of difference how much I spend on a glove. I usually buy a $35-$40 dollar glove every year or two, off the rack, from my local sporting goods outlet. If you are the kind of guy who has to have the best of everything then by all means, but you certainly don't need a "heart of the hide" glove to play recreational softball (nevermind the fact that they are meant for baseball.) In fact, there is a derogatory term for guys who show up all decked out in expensive equipment that may or may not be appropriate, without any regard for whether or not they can actually play.

Now shoes are a different story. I only play once or twice a week depending on the time of year and my feet take a beating. No wonder most older Major League players can't run anymore. I don't know how some of those guys can walk after a long season.
I enjoy a good derogatory term, but was unable to find this one on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ually+play
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

hahahahahahahahahaha
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

Steve,

Nokona does indeed make fine gloves. They've been around for quite a while, and I don't think you'd be disappointed. I am, however, a Rawlings loyalist, and when I went from college baseball to fastpitch softball, I stuck with a Rawlings baseball glove. I bought the largest Heart of the Hide baseball glove they made (a 12" outfielder's glove), and I'm still using it twenty years later.

On a somewhat related note, there is another company called Akadema, which makes fine baseball gloves and accesories, and they've been producing a line of vintage-looking gloves that are very cool. I recently bought a replica of Lou Gehrig's first baseman's glove.

jt
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

ichabod wrote: I enjoy a good derogatory term, but was unable to find this one on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... ually+play
Here is a web site with a video that explains baseball slang. Make sure your speakers are on.
http://tinyurl.com/2s4x6q
Brett
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I don't get it Brett cause all I saw was that lame Rick Astley video, but it must mean something because I noticed your signature line...
anyways I do really appreciate your view on the whole glove thing, solid advice for sure. I would say someone who does not know the game showing up with a $400 Primo or pro preferred would be something to make fun of. I'm looking to spend $150 or less and I have played enough baseball in my time to deserve it. Still pondering though...
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
DCLawyer

Post by DCLawyer »

Nokona is an EXCELLENT glove maker.

They cost a little more because their gloves are made in the US. I recently got a new Nokona baseball glove, and I can safely say I'll never buy another glove.

They have been around for decades - they are a real connoisseur's glove. It's a small shop, so they don't hire the big names to go out and promote their gloves like Wilson or Rawlings, but they don't need to.
Vin Mays

Re: baseball glove?

Post by Vin Mays »

Nokona is a great glove. I got one for my son about 5 years ago and he still uses it. Nokona offers great quality and durability. If you are interested www.baseballbargains.com is a great site for any gloves.
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I still played ball I'd have one of those Nokonas. For some reason I associate the brand name Nokona with cowboy boots. Maybe they do/did make boots too?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

In all my years of playing softball, I've only run across one guy who really had any issues with a Nokona. Very durable, easy to break in and about as comfortable glove you'll ever put on. Obviously the down side is the expense, but if you plan on playing for several more years then by all means go for it. But if you think you might only play for a couple of years, then I'm with the general thought that you get a decent glove for a decent price that fits well on your hand and move on. Sports Authority (if one in your area) typically even offers "glove insurance" just in case you buy a lemon by chance. What ever you decide, enjoy the game!
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I bought both of my sons-in-law gloves and a ball for Christmas so we could have some games of catch at the beach this summer. Got $50 Wilson gloves from Amazon. Broke them in a little over Memorial Day.

Edit: Looking back, I'm wrong. I got Rawlings Derek Jeter Signature gloves in 12.5-inch size from an eBay seller. Nice gloves with basket webs. My glove is an old Louisville Slugger model.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have always been a Rawlings or Mizuno man myself. Matter of fact I bought my son (12yo) a new Rawlings glove to pitch with over the weekend. He like a smaller glove...almost the size of a middle infielders glove.

Nokona is a great glove by all accounts. I do not think you can go wrong with it. Just do not fall for the A2000 hype. Wilson seems to have created a market for their gloves by jacking up the prices and then touting them to be the best. Kinda like Beats by Dr. Dre...not so.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I will add a little to the mix. I can't speak much for softball gloves specifically as I hail from Chicago where softball was played in the sixteen inch variety as opposed to kitten ball. You have some sound advice above. For baseball gloves, I used to be a Rawlings guy when I was younger. About 8-9 years ago I picked up an Akadema glove. It was a quality glove, but I never grew to like it. I've been on the search for another glove this season, and was about to pull the trigger on an A2000. I will heed Jay's advice on that one, and keep looking. I've always been intrigued by the Nokona's, but the price has me second guessing if I should spend that much. After all that rambling I suppose my point is that there are plenty of quality glove makers out there. Keep trying them on until you've reached that sweet spot where you're happy with the glove...
--Greg