A new knife

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Murray, I do need better kitchen knives. Ill just keeo the blue knives since that is all I really use them for is opening packages. Ill get some hunter friend to sharpen them sometime down the road.
Reed2600

Post by Reed2600 »

Sam really if all your doing is opening a few boxes every now and then I would keep the blue knife and get it sharpened every 6 - 12 months. The knife from your first post is a decent knife the steel is an upper end low level steel that will be a little better than the blue one. Personally I think a benchmade or even a spyderco is gonna be a little overkill for opening boxes. As far as needing just a straight edge with a hard enough steel and yea they work great but start at around $150. This guy makes really good high end custom knives http://www.rockriveriron.com/ if that is what your wanting.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sam, I suggest Case. They make all levels of knives and prices. The best part is they come with a life time guarantee. I have about 20 pocket knives, from my pocket knife AD days. If you just want something sharp to open boxes I'm sure I can set you up.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

For opening boxes, (even the volume of boxes going through Sam's hands containing Feather AC razors to be bought, sold, rebought and resold) I'd just go with one of those folding Husky box cutters.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

As much as I would like a new knife, Ill use the funds on shave stuff and cologne. Im gonna have a hunter friend try to sharpen up the two blue ones
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

MadAussie wrote:I have a CRKT edc (every day carry) style knife (old m16, tanto style blade for easy sharpening, non serrated).

When I upgrade it (its been through the washing machine 10 times and keeps going), I'd go for a reverse tanto, most likely the benchmade 940 or 950.
My Benchmade 940 was delivered to my office today. I went with the plain (non serrated) edge. I think it is exactly what I was looking for. I expect that we will become very good friends. :)
Danny
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Bwaaaaa, I love Benchmades. *pats Griptilian*
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

Have you hunter friend show you how to sharpen your knife i feel it is a skill everyone one should know how to do. Then you can get by with less than stellar knives.
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

Cigar Dan wrote:My Benchmade 940 was delivered to my office today. I went with the plain (non serrated) edge. I think it is exactly what I was looking for. I expect that we will become very good friends. :)
nice choice! I've hinted to my wife but I dont know If I'll get one.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

wenestvedt wrote:Bwaaaaa, I love Benchmades. *pats Griptilian*
The 940 is a replacement for a Griptilian which I somehow misplaced... :(
Danny
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

MadAussie wrote:nice choice! I've hinted to my wife but I dont know If I'll get one.
Thanks. Good luck, I hope you get one. The best price I found was on a site called moontrail.com for $125 delivered. Oops--I just checked and saw that the plain edge is out of stock.
Danny
Blades

Post by Blades »

If you buy quality shaving supplies, then you need to buy a quality knife.
Why skimp on something as important as a pocket knife? There are thousands of choices-- Case, Spyderco, Benchmade, Emerson, CRK&T, William Henry, Bryd, Gerber, Kershaw, Swiss Army...the list goes on and on. Buy a nice knife and it will last you a lifetime.
Whatever you spent on a nice shaving brush($30 or $300) spend the same on a quality pocket knife.
greenman

Post by greenman »

I've always enjoyed Spyderco knives. Whenever mine gets the slightest bit dull (it takes a full fishing season or two of me mercilessly hacking through piles of trout bones to reach that point), I just send the knife in to Spyderco and they resharpen, clean, and lube it up like new for $5.

I used to own some great Spyderco's, but I seem to misplace them, so my last purchase was a Byrd Cara-Cara knife (made by Spyderco). It's supposed to be a "poor man's" version of a proper Spyderco, but for $30 shipped, I've never had a better knife. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what differentiates it from some of the "real" Spyders I've owned; it must be the type of steel they use.

I'd rather use this knife to gut a fish or field dress an elk, rather than risk breaking the tip off of a $200 knife, but that's just me.
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
Bertrand Russell
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I just bought my first pocketknife. :shock: (The one I've had for a long time (forever) was a freebie from some machinery company, so I had it without buying it.) :) The new one is a Swiss army knife, a little bit like the one Sam just decided to part with.

Just for laughs this evening, even though I was at home in the kitchen, I used the knife's can opener. Never having used one of those little can opener blades, I was pleasantly surprised that it's easy to use and works just fine.
Bowcephalus

Post by Bowcephalus »

"I'd rather use this knife to gut a fish or field dress an elk, rather than risk breaking the tip off of a $200 knife, but that's just me.".....Wow man them's some tough fishes and elkses you're cleaning there....How's your teeth holdin' up? ;).....As for a great pocket knife any stockman by Buck or Case works great for the money. The old stock Bucks on E-Bay are the best Bucks these days. You can get them small enough for a lawyer's pocket.
greenman

Post by greenman »

Bowcephalus:

Teeth? A REAL man doesn't need teeth to chew! :P

Admittedly, I am a brute when it comes to knives. I have no pity on my tools, and I inevitably end of jamming my knife into sand, ground, bones, trees, et cetera when I use it. (... that reminds me, I have a few sockets I need to replace, as I broke them wrenching on my car a few weeks ago...)

When I served as an airborne infantryman, my unit would sometimes get the new equipment that was being tested for production. The brass figured if it can survive a month with the grunts in the field, surely it can survive in any environment. We would often TRY to break things, just to see how far we could push it - better tested in the field than in war we always thought! :D
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
Bertrand Russell
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

My personal favorites are the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek and the CRK&T M16-13. I've got two of each.
Blessings,
Michael
mmack66

Post by mmack66 »

If you are just opening boxes, I would just get a box cutter or a utility knife.
Mark
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

southpaw wrote:My personal favorites are the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek and the CRK&T M16-13. I've got two of each.
I had a CRKT M16 for a while but it was, unfortunately, lost.
It was replaced by a Kershaw - Ken Onion "Vapor"
And yes, it goes everywhere with me.
Gibbs' rule #9 "Never go anywhere without a knife."

(except airports... *sigh*)
Blades

Post by Blades »

Adeptus_Minor wrote:
southpaw wrote:My personal favorites are the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek and the CRK&T M16-13. I've got two of each.
I had a CRKT M16 for a while but it was, unfortunately, lost.
It was replaced by a Kershaw - Ken Onion "Vapor"
And yes, it goes everywhere with me.
Gibbs' rule #9 "Never go anywhere without a knife."

(except airports... *sigh*)
I read on another forum that Ken Onion is suppose to be coming out with his own brand of knives. Looking forward to seeing those, the Kershaw's he has designed have always been nice.
I wonder if Kershaw will still have the assisted opening knives.

I just received a Benchmade Gaucho with M4 blade steel, and a Spyderco Paramilitary with black blade and S30v steel in a trade. Both excellent blade steels, but I think M4 might be the tougher of the two. I'll have to do some research.