Its that time for a cell phone plan

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Its that time for a cell phone plan

Post by Sam »

Well, my daughter always gets her cell phone to crap out. I dont know what it is with her, but then again, I keep my phone in the car and it is off all day. She has hers on 24/7. We have the Razrs from Motorola and we have Sprint.

She wants the Unlimited plan. Currently, my wife and I have nothing but phones, and no text messaging, and Daughter has unlimited text. We pay about $140 with taxes for unlimited nights and 1500 a month in minutes.

So, any ideas what plans to get? Advice on phones?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Why not just get her a new phone?

Having said that, I prefer GSM, so I'd go with one of the GSM carriers if you're heart is set on changing.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ichabod wrote:Why not just get her a new phone?

Having said that, I prefer GSM, so I'd go with one of the GSM carriers if you're heart is set on changing.
Uh, English? Remember, Im lowtech
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Sam, the choice is pretty much GSM or CDMA: Verizon is a (the only?) CDMA carrier, other carriers use GSM. They're two different...well, think of them as different sets of channels, like the old separate UHF and VHF dials.

The rest of the world uses GSM, but many phones today are made to be tri-band or quad-band (and so will do analog, CDMA, GSM, and who-knows-what-else).

In many cases, people are changing phones in the middle of a contract so they have to get whatever type of phone their carrier supports; if you're also switching carriers then you can pick whatever.

Phone nerds, did I get that right?

- Will
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Sprint is CDMA, I think. In fact I'm about 100% sure, more or less.

GSM has SIM cards, which means one could theoretically have a wardrobe of phones for different occasions or moods, or indeed switch from a broken or worn out phone to a new one more easily (are you reading this Sam's daughter?).

CDMA phones in obscure places like south Asia are alleged to have SIM cards, but not in Tennessee.

This is a good place for the old "horses for courses" adage.
Dominic
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have heard the I-Phone is fragile. I see things like the Sidekick but I dont know that I want to flip something out. Dont know if we will get internet plans or not. I dont really think Ill search the web all that much and just having email or text messaging while sitting in court would be miles better than what I have now.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Sam, you're an attorney, you should by rights be staring at a Crackberry 24 hours a day.
Dominic
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, went to Verizon and a package with my daughter and I have unlimited Internet and text messaging and wife having only text messaging would have been $150. Sprint matched what we had and better: all of us have unlimited Interent and text messaging and 1500 mi minutes for $126.00. Daughter and I got Blackberry Curves for $100 each and Wife got a Blackberry Pearl for $80. I thought that was a decent plan. It was neat being able to see voicemail on my phone - another good thing to have with the Memphis Grizzlies are getting blown out at home, lol
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I retired 2 1/2 years ago and the first and best thing I did was ditch the cell/mobile phone. I always felt cheated when I looked at my monthly cell/moble phone bill, even though the company was paying it, and vowed I wouldn't have one once I retired. Mind you, I always regarded my cell/mobile phone as being for my convenience and not for other people to be able to contact me 24 hours a day. Now that I am even less important than I was when I was working I can see absolutely no need for a cell/mobile phone. More important, however, is that I can use the +$100 per month a cell/mobile phone would cost me to invest in shaving gear and fountain pens and enjoy it.
Stubble

Post by Stubble »

Wife and I are also just retired, however we really like our cell phones. Makes it easier for us to keep in touch, as we are each doing different activities during the day. So, coordinating dinner or lunch, picking up groceries, when we are getting home, etc, etc., is much easier with the cell phone.
We went with a AT&T Friends and Family plan. Cost us $60 per/month for two phones, with unlimited evening and weekend minutes. Also unlimited anytime minutes if we are calling another AT&T cell phone. This works well for us, as both our grown kids have AT&T cell phones, so no minutes whenever we talk to them. We also get 500 daytime minutes per month, with the unused portion of these minutes rolling over to the next month.
So, anyway this works well for us.
Ken
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The Blackberry Curve 8330. I need a belt holster and prefer the horizontal or side loading. I understand it may be better to get the one that puts the battery to sleep while holstered.

Where can I find one cheaper?

Daughter wants a skin for hers. Do I need one?

Wife has a Blackberry Pearl, also last night, and keeps hers in her purse all the time. It came with a leather holster, no clips, no nothing. Does she need to put hers to sleep somehow, cause she is fine with her holster, but we do desire to conserve battery life.

Thanks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blackberry stock holsters all have the sleep magnet in them. If you are purchasing a 3rd party product, just look for the sleep magnet -- if it's designed for a BB, it'll have that in the holster.

I have been BB owner for 3 years now, and frankly have no idea how I got on without it. Of course, it is from work - and I needed it for client-facing reasons - but I really do like them. I own a Pearl -- because I prefer the chocolate-bar profile to the full qwerty keypad styles.

Our son owns only a cell phone, and in the end pays no more than he would with a land-line. I can see myself going that direction some day.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

I've been a Sprint customer for 9 years or so. If you call them threaten to cancel and ask to speak to Account Services. Once you speak to someone in Account Services they'll do just about anything to save you. Tell them you're shopping around for new plans and phones and they'll take care of you.

I have 1400 shared minutes for 2 phones
500 text messages per month per phone
unlimited web and data plan

$89.99-15%=$76.50

They also threw in 2 free Razors.

That was two years ago and I still have the plan.

Since then I have received 3 new phones for them in the middle of my contract.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

If anyone needs a nice holster, check out www.fortte.com.

I got mine for $28.54 delivered since they have a 30% off sale on until November 17th. Choose the belt clip you want, and you can have it personalized. I got the side pouch (phone goes in horizontally) with a fixed belt clip, steel covered with leather and not the plastic one.