Info. for possible new hobby- Pipe smoking

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
PACHUCO

Info. for possible new hobby- Pipe smoking

Post by PACHUCO »

Well gents, I've been looking into pipes lately. Problem is I don't know a person who smokes one. My question is; does anyone have any information on a good brand for a beginner, or what I should look for? After going to my local tobacconist, I know I’m partial to full bend pipes. As to tobaccos I know that is as subjective as cigars, and I do enjoy a cigar every now and then. I also don't intend to smoke more than a few times a year.

Many thanks,
Serg
BlankTim

Post by BlankTim »

I'm a big fan of Peterson pipes, but there's lots of makers out there that are just as good and affordable. Stanwell and Kaywoodie are two for example.

You might want to read over at http://forum.pipes.org.
They're the SMF of the pipe smoking world. Just ignore the stuff on the left side of the window and scroll to the bottom of the main window.

Enjoy your new OCD :lol:
-Tim
...So I lathered him with me shillelagh...
Laage

Post by Laage »

I'd recommend a Stanwell pipe as a starter pipe if they are available near you. They come in almost any shape and size and are not expensive if you choose one of their basic lines.

The Peterson Pipes are nice as Blank Tim mentions, but a number of their models have their quirks (special tip that redirects smoke upwards into the mouth; reservoir in the bowl for moisture) so I would recommend saving that for later, when you are sure you wish to continue.

If you choose to go with another brand of pipe I would recommend that you take a good look at the interior of the bowl before buying to check that the bowl is coated (basically a black layer looking like a charcoal covering)... some brands for, instance Savinelli, has a number of models which are uncoated briar in the bowl. As a new smoker it is easier to smoke the pipe too hot and burn through an uncoated pipe.

Be aware that with a slow burning tobacco a bowl can take an hour or more to smoke, and the smoke has different characteristics than cigar or cigarette smoke, so you may burn your mouth (especially if you smoke the tobacco too hot). Give this some thought before buying too much gear, as you risk reburning your mouth if you only smoke a couple of times a year.
Laage
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

The way i found my first pipe is..

I went to the local smoke shop(pipe,cigars,tea).

One of the older gentlmen that hangs out their was more than happy to show me the different pipes, explain everything to me, answer questions.
-- Ben
UsherLincoln

Post by UsherLincoln »

I'm a pipe and cigar smoker in the summer, when I can sit outside and really enjoy myself. I started with a Peterson pipe and worked my way up from there. One of the things you're going to want to find though is a pipe with a smaller bowl size. It's infinitely easier to start an ember with a smaller bowl, and you can stack your tobacco a lot denser. For me, I started with a large bowl and found myself puffing a lot of empty air. Once I moved back into a smaller bowl, I finally learned how to get a pipe really going.

Kinda like shaving, there's a technique - that's quite different for everyone.
-Lincoln

"Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee..."
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

Is budget an issue?
If you don't want to spend a lot to find out if you actually like smoking a pipe or not, I strongly recommend a corn cob pipe.
You can spend a lot and have an heirloom quality item that you may or may not use with any frequency or you can spend less than $15 and have something that even many long time pipe smokers enjoy.
Also, you don't have to worry about tainting a really nice pipe with some blend you don't care for.

Check out http://www.keepsmilin.com/pipecat.html
Laage

Post by Laage »

I'll agree with Adeptus_Minor that a corn cob pipe can be a decent and inexpensive starter pipe. However, the corn cob pipes widely available in Scandinavia are very roughly finished so the stems haven't been polished properly so they still have the seams from the casting running down the sides, which can cut into the corners of your mouth. I'm assuming the ones linked to are of a better quality though.

Another thing to consider is that if you find a tobacco you enjoy and decide to buy a briar pipe. The tobacco will probably taste differently in the briar - as any plant material pipe will add it's own flavor to that of the tobacco.
If you develop a Pipe AD you will eventually want to add a meerschaum pipe to your collection, these do not add to the flavor of the tobacco as they are mineral and therefore do not burn along with the tobacco.
Laage
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

Laage wrote:I'll agree with Adeptus_Minor that a corn cob pipe can be a decent and inexpensive starter pipe. However, the corn cob pipes widely available in Scandinavia are very roughly finished so the stems haven't been polished properly so they still have the seams from the casting running down the sides, which can cut into the corners of your mouth. I'm assuming the ones linked to are of a better quality though.
They are decent quality. The bits are a little on the soft side and if you're prone to clenching your teeth or chewing, you'll probably want to look into ordering a replacement stem or two.
Another thing to note; all of Missouri Meerschaum's regular sized pipe stems take standard Dr. Grabow or Medico filters.
YMMV on the usefulness or even desirability of a filter, just so you know it's an option.
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Thank you gentlemen, I took most of your advice; I visited the pipe forum and briefly browsed it (only about 4 hrs. straight...SWMBO was not so happy- this is how the shaving obsession began).
I went ahead and as suggested both there and here I purchased a Missouri Meerschaum pipe, with filter for now (all they had). Most of the other pipes suggested were much too pricy, well at least the ones I could find. I did see a wonderful green Peterson pipe that I cannot get out of my head. I also purchased the required nail, and "newbie" tobacco that was recommended all for under $13.
My first smoke and attempt at starting a cake will be tomorrow. Wish me luck. And if anybody has any further suggestions, comments, etc. please feel free to continue posting or send a PM.

Serg
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

What "newbie" tobacco did you get?
If you're just going to use a cob for now, I wouldn't worry about building cake.
I won't say cake doesn't help a cob pipe, but they generally don't suffer the same issues with burning out or cracking that briar pipes do.

Just work on your technique and try a few blends to see what you like.
:wink:
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Adeptus_Minor wrote:What "newbie" tobacco did you get?
If you're just going to use a cob for now, I wouldn't worry about building cake.
I won't say cake doesn't help a cob pipe, but they generally don't suffer the same issues with burning out or cracking that briar pipes do.

Just work on your technique and try a few blends to see what you like.
:wink:
Thanks, the newbie tabacco I got was a mainly burley blend with a touch of vanilla, truth be told I thought it was rather light. Thanks all for the corn cob pipe recommendation as I lightly scorched the bowl of the pipe when attempting to light it. The tabacco also kept going out I really need practice in packing the bowl. Other than that it was a very pleasant experience, I'll stick to the cob for now maybe even pick up a couple without filters and maybe some stronger tabacco.

Serg
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

Best way to pack a bowl is pretty simple if it's anything other than a flake tobacco. Make sure the tobacco's loose, so if it's clumped from being pressed, pull that apart. Drop tobacco in until it's full, tamp down firmly. Repeat until it's full. And make sure you can comfortably pull air through the pipe. If you can't, it's packed too tight. Any basic instructions you find online will give you something roughly equivalent to that. And honestly, don't over think it. If you've packed it firmly and can still pull air, you're probably fine. 'nough said, just do it a bit at a time.
Laage

Post by Laage »

One tip I heard somewhere about packing the bowl, is to compare the stem to a drinking straw; if it feels like you're just sucking air you've packed the bowl too lightly, if on the other hand it seems like you're trying to pull a thick milkshake it's packed to tightly - feels like soda = just right.
Basically you want some resistance when you pull on the pipe, but not enough that you have to strain.
Laage
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I take the filters out of my cobs before using them, but YMMV. Be warned that even if you stick with MMs (best pipe for the money), TAD can get expensive fast. Also take the info on tobaccoreviews with a large grain of salt.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant