25 Amazing Pre-Prohibition Absinthe Posters

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
minderasr

25 Amazing Pre-Prohibition Absinthe Posters

Post by minderasr »

-= Jim =-

"If your knot flops and splays you are working it too hard."
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

The last ad looks like it has Steve Martin in it...ha ha ha
Last edited by razorburned on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
buster

Post by buster »

Sure does. And what's with letting that cat get lit up? Did some marketing genius figure out that drunk cats sell more absinthe back in the day?

Neat pics

-C
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

I say let the cat get lit....what else does he have to do today.....sleep?....hack up a furrball in the middle of where I wanna walk barefoot in the dark?....that can wait!
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

buster wrote:Sure does. And what's with letting that cat get lit up? Did some marketing genius figure out that drunk cats sell more absinthe back in the day?

Neat pics

-C

hahahahahahah.

if youve had it, youd know.

:wink:
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Well, it the ad might be a play on the mythology of the black cat...

I say let the cat drink! (If he lives, you can have a glass too...)
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
billski

Post by billski »

The dictionary says that that drink is toxic. What is the story on that stuff?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I prefer it the traditional way (water and a sugar cube etc.) than the Heming Way (mixed with champagne).

I think the reputation for toxicity came not from the absinthe itself but from some of the ingredients in the home brewed versions. (This is also why I always recommend buying angel dust from a trusted vendor, because that way you know what's in it...) Ahem - :wink:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Zach

Post by Zach »

Now that it's legal I seem to have lost interest, but, back in the day, I has serious AAD. The best tasting was Pernod; the biggest kick was from Czech Strong.
I tell you this with a considerable amount of experience; there is no Green Fairy.
Absinthe is like 150+ proof, it doesn't need a fairy.
And if you like Anise you'll love the taste of it.
Would be happy to expound if anyone is interested, but I give you my word, try it and don't worry about it!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I concur with Zach's comments.

I don't drink much absinthe in the traditional manner; I use it to make Sazerac cocktails, one of only 5 or 6 cocktails I ever drink, and a superb concoction.

That said, I'm a sucker for old advertising; these posters are very cool.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Zach, like anise? You've got me thinking...

Stronger in taste than Mediterranean anise water?
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

STRONG anise. strong.
Zach

Post by Zach »

paperpundit wrote:Zach, like anise? You've got me thinking...

Stronger in taste than Mediterranean anise water?
Jack, if you like anise, don't buy any Czech absinthe.
Buy a French one, 100%.
Try a White Fairy - Absinthe Blanche, it's clear.
If money were not an option, try Jade Liqueurs Nouvelle-Orléans, about $80 or so. It will last years, and it's top notch.
For a little less money, try Les Fils d'Emile Pernot, or a Absinthe Doubs Mystique, both about $50

You can get them in a wine shop, since they are legal, or at absintheonline.com

And do get the accoutrements, the slotted spoon, you can use any glass that's the right size, and I like the method of sugar cube, soak, and set on fire.

If you want any more info don't hesitate to ask!

Tim, do you use rye or cognac?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Zach, I'm a rye guy, generally, though I'm not militant: I think either version could be considered "authentic." A nice variation is to use a 50:50 blend of rye and cognac, though if you're going to do that, you have to go w/Overholt or Rittenhouse 80-proof for the rye, as WT Rye and Rittenhouse Bonded are higher-proof and will overwhelm the cognac. Peychaud's bitters required. I used to use Herbsaint, prior to the reintroduction of absinthe into the market, and while it's a fine spirit, it doesn't touch even basic absinthes for complexity. Flame the oil from the lemon peel before you drop it in the drink.

Another really nice drink, closely related, is the Vieux Carre, which is 50:50 rye and cognac, a teaspoon of Benedictine, and two kinds of bitters, at least one of which must be Peychaud's. Endless variations are possible here using the 1:1 ratio of base spirits and a teaspoon of whatever liqueur one wants (I'm fond of using rye and apple brandy with a teaspoon of pimento dram - an allspice liqueur).

BTW, I'm also fond of rye and Spanish brandy together in the Sazerac; the raisiny edge to Spanish brandy plays off of the spicier components of the rye (I think cognac accents the floral notes in rye).

At this point, we're far afield of absinthe, though, so I'll stop the extended digression. The most widely available absinthe that's shown up in the year or so since the U.S. loosened its grip is Lucid. I'm no connoisseur, but I'm told by those in the know that it's also one of the better American versions and a good place to start exploring. I like it.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Zach

Post by Zach »

Tim, I'm coming over one day this summer; I'll help you cut the grass, then I'm thinking BBQ, maybe crack open a mead after dinner; let's not waste any time on shave-speak :grin:
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Zach, you are welcome any time, my friend. Mead? Of course. And if you were to bring a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout along, I might be persuaded to open the 21-year-old barrel-proof rye I have in the cabinet.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Zach

Post by Zach »

How can you POSSIBLY know about that??? :lol:

Done!
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

mead =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

That Sazerac recipe got me thinking...

Oh, and the mead too. It's been so long :idea:
A chin / Where barbed wire / Bristles stand / Is bound to be / A no ma'ams land / Burma-Shave
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Pretty cool posters!
I'm impartial to the Czech absinthe. :D
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com