Came to vent, the economy got another victim and this time,

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Came to vent, the economy got another victim and this time,

Post by Sam »

Wife called today. Her company sold out in September and the switch was made in November. She had been with the company since January 08, and that was because a former employer (all are in the window business, so home construction issues) curtailed. Well, there was a new system and she was processing orders as she had learned with the former business, and she would catch mistakes and they would catch hers. Something silly like not naming the project (the salesmen turn their orders in and they dont fill this out) when the former company did not care. Once pointed out, she would make a note of it and not make that mistake again. So here, we are talking 3 months of a new system. Heck, she found mistakes of theirs.

Big bosses come in and talk to her and they want to move in another direction and, well, that is a euphamism for you are fired. I think they see her position as paying $5 to $10k a year less if you ask me. I just hate to see her feel bad and go through it all again, and with the economy, it could be a few months. On top of that, daughter had planned to go to another country to study and so, tonight, we have to tell her that it looks like we will not be making that deposit on the trip that is due March 1st. You ever feel dread in going home? That is how I feel.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Sorry Sam.
My girl is only 6 but I can imagine the heartbreak of having to tell her 'no' about anything related to her future.
I'm sure the reason given to your wife was just an excuse, the sign of a coward.
Dreadful indeed.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Sam, I'm so sorry to hear this. Sad and dreadful indeed.
ssilcox

Post by ssilcox »

Sam -

Terrible news for all involved. Sorry to hear about it, and I wish you the best.
“Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.”
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Sam, sorry to hear the bad news and I hope that better things are in store for you and yours, hang in there.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Sam, so sorry. Lots of hurt all around for no gain. And it really sucks for your Little Girl, who I know you adore. :7) And blaming a demotion/layoff on failures in using a order system is pretty weak soup -- at the least they should have been honest and said it was financial.

I know it will be a quiet dinner at your house tonight, but it's no one's fault. Ugh.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Guys, thank you for the well wishes, but we will have dinner as usual and it won't be somber :). I have a deposition at 4:30 so dinner will be later and daughter has a law class until 7:00 so she will pick something up on the way home. We will live as usual (well, except for maybe eating out as much and the discretionary clothing or shaving purchase) as we have done. I anticipate it being May before we really look at re-evaluating budgets. Wife will look for work, but she may take a slow week next week so she can 'grieve' in her own way. The biggest thing is the trip for the daughter. We already laid up half of the trip ($4000) and daughter applied for a scholarship of $1500, so we had another $2500 to go. Guess where the $4000 goes now? Yup, that is why it is sad for my daughter's standpoint and I totally understand.

I also believe God opens one door after another closes. Who knows, she could get a better job next week and all is back on!!!

I know there are others in our forum whose circumstances are more dire. I know some have lost spouses, parents, children, have sons and daughters off at war in Iraq, or have had major illnesses. I am thankful we are a supportive group and there are many of us who would not say anything but have issues like this. To them, you are not alone, and just know that these guys also would be as supportive to you.
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you both the best of luck!
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Stop being so grown up & classy!
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

I hear ya Sam. I was laid off middle of Sep. 2008 and didn't find a job until the middle of December. The economy's terrible right now for finding jobs, and my situation was before it got really bad. I'm in grad school, so I've been only able to work part time, which means I barely make ends meet each month, where the job I had previously gave me plenty of cushion working part time. I had money in my savings, like you did, and that went to covering living expenses until the new job started. It sucks. And yet there's politicians and pundits who say this isn't a recession...
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Sam, I'm really sorry to hear about this. Here's hoping the next door opens soon.

Best,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sam, I'm sorry to hear the sad news, but it is heartening to see the strength and character your family is exhibiting in facing the adversity.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Ah crap. Sorry Sam...the worst part, I think, about being let going is thinking that, possibly, you did something wrong. All that self doubt drags itself in, and you wonder, just wonder...

I find myself saying that this is going to be a great lesson for our country, something that will turn into a strength down the road. On a personal level, tell your wife to keep her chin up...of course, she could always just join the forum and we could rat you out on your shaving purchases :D
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Sam, I feel bad for you and your family. It's starting to get bad up here too, everybody is apprehensive and losing jobs and new jobs are getting scarce.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Sam, I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's loss of employment. Hopefully things will turn out for the better.

Sergio
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sam

You're a good egg! Good things happen to good people like you.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Sam, I hate that this happened to your family. You know the saying "bad things happen to good people." Sam, I don't know your finances but if you stand to lose $4000 because you need to pay $2500 more it doesn't make sense to take that route. I say borrow the $2500 and let you daughter have her trip. The interest on a $2500 loan won't be $4000.

I got out of the car business just in time. The people at my dealership are starving. I hate hearing stories like this. You are not alone there are millions of Americans in the same boat.

God Bless,

Tony
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Oh, if we had paid the deposit, she would go. All we have done is pay $50 application fee and she paid to get her passport. Deposit of $4000 is due on March 1st, so unless wife gets a job in say 10 days, she feels that the $4000 needs to be in the bank so she can draw against it herself. I dont disagree.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Tough luck, Sam.

Everything is changing -- my son made a similar education decision on his own last November as things were really starting to heat up with the financial melt-down. He passed on the opportunity to attend Stirling University in Stirling Scotland. He had planned to live with friends of ours who had just bought a larger home. Everyone was all excited -- but Andrew decided one day all on his own that he didn't want to risk the deposit or not having the finances available (he maintains some very modest investments on his one, and saw things coming - smart kid -- smarter than Dad, I think).

I realize this is nowhere near as dreadful as you wife losing her job -- that is the pits, but from what you say, life will not end for you. Keep up the faith. We are all thinking about and praying for you and your family.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Sorry to read you've hit a tight spot Sam.
As for the "window".... I'm still looking for the Light switch so I can find the damn window....LOL
You know my situation.... for the last 4 1/2 years.

You'lldo fine, you're a smart guy and your wife is as well....

I'd lay odds that daughter will get the trip!
A lot can happen in a few days

Best always,
Gramps
~~ Larry ~~