Disc Golf

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Straight Arrow

Disc Golf

Post by Straight Arrow »

My son took me disc golfing on Saturday. Great fun! I stink at it. Anybody play?
Rich
infotech

Post by infotech »

Yes, I play! I love the game. I started playing in 2002 and quickly got into local leagues which led to statewide tournaments. I've made a lot of good friends playing disc golf. It is a lot like wet shaving - very addictive, the old plastic is way better than the new stuff and you can build up a ridiculous collection of discs in no time... I even had a disc catcher basket in my one bedroom apartment for a while :lol:

Now the statement about old plastic being better is a bit of a stretch these days, but when I first started playing Innova changed plastic from Champion Edition (CE) (real hard, durable plastic) to what was called Champion plastic. Some of the CE discs would sell upwards of $200 for one disc on ebay. Now they have an even newer plastic I really like which Innova calls Star. Very durable and it added a lot of distance to my drives..
James
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Am I missing something, or is this a 'sport' made up of frat boys, frisbees and garbage cans nailed to trees.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
JP

Post by JP »

You're missing something. It has long ago evolved into permanent laid out courses with dedicated tee locations and holes that are posts with baskets designed to catch the frisbee. There are also specialty fribees used for the game.

I have at least 3 courses in my area in city parks and they all stay busy. Free to play.
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

So you are saying that it is still a 'sport' made up of frat boys, frisbees and garbage cans nailed to trees....but now has product marketing.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i never even heard of it until now :shock:
Griswold

Post by Griswold »

D.Irving79 wrote:i never even heard of it until now :shock:
Me neither. :oops: Had to look it up. I'm not aware it's played this side of the pond.
Best Regards

Peter
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

razorburned wrote:Am I missing something, or is this a 'sport' made up of frat boys, frisbees and garbage cans nailed to trees.
It is my understanding that being inebriated or otherwise chemically enhanced greatly aids one's enjoyment and performance at this sport.
Thus, frat boys and other such collegiate slacker types seem to be the principal players.
A chin / Where barbed wire / Bristles stand / Is bound to be / A no ma'ams land / Burma-Shave
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

My experience with disc golf is limited to:
1. playing with my brother-in-law, who was not a frat boy but was and is often inebriated, whether playing disc golf or not;
and
2. watching the people who play on the course in the park across the street.

I have enjoyed it a lot when I've played; it is endlessly more fun than hitting that damned little white ball all over the place, and it doesn't require pristinely manicured lawns that suck up half of the water in our reservoirs. It is, though, still not something I can see myself pursuing as a sport or pastime. Fun way to kill an afternoon, though.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I've been playing for over 10 years. It is a blast. If you have ever enjoyed throwing Frisbees, and live anywhere near a course, you should give it a try.

Here is the web site for the Professional Disc Golf Association web site. There is a lot of good information there (including a course directory for courses throughout the world).
Danny
infotech

Post by infotech »

razorburned wrote:Am I missing something, or is this a 'sport' made up of frat boys, frisbees and garbage cans nailed to trees.
razorburned wrote:So you are saying that it is still a 'sport' made up of frat boys, frisbees and garbage cans nailed to trees....but now has product marketing.
You are REALLY missing something :roll:

Disc golf is like having a bathroom full of shaving goods... some people will never get it :wink:

But I bet you were just joking, right?
James
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

infotech wrote:Now the statement about old plastic being better is a bit of a stretch these days, but when I first started playing Innova changed plastic from Champion Edition (CE) (real hard, durable plastic) to what was called Champion plastic. Some of the CE discs would sell upwards of $200 for one disc on ebay. Now they have an even newer plastic I really like which Innova calls Star. Very durable and it added a lot of distance to my drives..
I have one of those 2001 CE Rocs that sell for so much money. However, I bought it to throw it and it is still one of my favorite discs. I paid $25 for it. Even though it has many years of use, I'm pretty sure I could get around $100 if I ever wanted to sell it.

I also have a ridiculous number of discs. Most of them were bought in my quest to find that magical disc that would let me throw far. I still haven't found one. :(
Danny
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

i cant believe this thread. who wouldve guessed? not this guy.

:lol:
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

D.Irving79 wrote:i cant believe this thread. who wouldve guessed? not this guy.
Fortunately, this forum is sufficiently large that no one need waste their time reading topics which are of no interest to them.
Danny
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

infotech wrote:
razorburned wrote:So you are saying that it is still a 'sport' made up of frat boys, frisbees and garbage cans nailed to trees....but now has product marketing.
You are REALLY missing something :roll:

Disc golf is like having a bathroom full of shaving goods... some people will never get it :wink:

But I bet you were just joking, right?
Joking on the 'Am I missing something' part as I already knew exactly what it is......and still think it is a stupid enormous waste of time....similar to hackie-sak and many other more-fun-inebriated games. But, I guess if it gets you off the couch and out in the fresh air it has to be worth something.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

You know, I've been on this forum for over 3 years, and I don't recall ever feeling the need to jump into someone's thread and #$% all over it.

However, there are obviously some here who can't resist doing just that.
Danny
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Dan, and others....I was not meaning to poo on the thread...I was meaning to playfully jab....it was meant in good fun. Sorry. Really. Did not mean to convey ill-will or insult.
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

I think insult is being interpreted where none is intended.
My remarks were based solely on what I've observed here around Austin.
(which is a college town)

I certainly mean no offense to those who enjoy it, inebriated or otherwise.
As razorburned put it, anything that gets you off the couch can't be a bad thing. :wink:
A chin / Where barbed wire / Bristles stand / Is bound to be / A no ma'ams land / Burma-Shave
D.Irving79

Post by D.Irving79 »

Cigar Dan wrote:
D.Irving79 wrote:i cant believe this thread. who wouldve guessed? not this guy.
Fortunately, this forum is sufficiently large that no one need waste their time reading topics which are of no interest to them.
dont get me wrong, it has officially caught my interest. i hadnt even heard of it before this thread. it sounds like fun.
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Played a few years ago. I still have the t-shirt I think. Great fun!
Steve
______
Go Cubbies