I'm a little pissed/disappointed

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Gramps
Canadian Badass

I'm a little pissed/disappointed

Post by Gramps »

http://www.youtube.com/v/tcJn5XlbSFk&hl

It might be time to burn the WhiteHouse again....

I hope this "news" show does not represent the US citizen concensus
on Canada...
~~ Larry ~~
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

NO, it does not. Most Americans, especially ones within driving distance of Canada, know that Canadians are good people, and that most of you have it better than most of us.

Additionally, that is Fox News....100% bad openion...0% 'News'....the only people who watch that crap are idiots.
Last edited by razorburned on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

See this:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03 ... cking.html

The fact that people follow the Fox Network and accept it as news scares me.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
druphus

Post by druphus »

Larry, trust me, this group has nothing to do with the White House; and, I'm sure you are aware this is not news. So keep your powder dry.

There are Buttheads everywhere, and more and more of them are getting on TV.
Regards,
Andy
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I love Canada. My brother was born there. I certainly admire many things about the fine nation to our North.

I won't comment on Fox News or former President Bush, as I try to follow the forum guidelines regarding political comments.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Andrew's an unusual name for a man? (I didn't get through the whole thing.)
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
rgc

Post by rgc »

Yes, I read foxnews.com from time to time (getting to be less and less frequent due to what they consider news) but all the major TV "news" stations down here are full of useless crap and banter by talking heads (empty heads really). Although I only made it about half way through the video clip, as it was really asinine, it is not the way most Americans feel about Canada or Canadians. Sorry you had to see it, but I am sure that like here there are some talking heads that spew senseless trash on TV up in Canada too.

Loving Canada (especially Algonquin Provincial Park)
Dick
DEF

Post by DEF »

In American media culture, it's more important to sound catty than to actually have any substance or thought behind your message. This is about 1/16th of a tick above "Chelsea Lately" -- which isn't saying much.
Doug
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

This isn't news guys it is a late night comedy show. No better or worse than the ones on other stations as they are all cut from the same cloth.
Regards,
Squire
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I'm still quite fond of Canada. Even after that whole Rick Morranis thing :D
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

Squire wrote:This isn't news guys it is a late night comedy show. No better or worse than the ones on other stations as they are all cut from the same cloth.
I find this brand of "comedy" in extremely poor taste, especially as this story comes on the very day when four Canadian soldiers killed in service have been brought back to Canada. This is the type of tasteless political satire that breeds anti-American sentiment, and rightfully so, IMO, and I can only take solace in the hope that what is presented in the video is NOT a reflection of the views of the average American citizen, as the posts in this thread would indicate.

Ren
Last edited by Big Ren on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

I've never watched that show, but from the clip it appears to be 99% Talk Soup, 1% news discussion.

Canadians, let's make a deal. If you let this slide, we'll let Tom Green slide. :lol:
Jim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Squire wrote:This isn't news guys it is a late night comedy show. No better or worse than the ones on other stations as they are all cut from the same cloth.
Squire, that's technically true, but there could be some difference in the way the shows are perceived, since this show appears on a "news" network. The shows it resembles, or wants to - The Daily Show, The Soup, Real Time - appear on Comedy Central, E!, and HBO, respectively.

That said, it does appear to be an attempt at comedy, albeit misplaced and in bad taste. Then again, Bill Maher was fired from ABC for calling the United States (not the U.S. military) cowardly on a comedy show...

Trying to skirt political commentary. Hope I haven't overstepped things.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Exactly as you said Ren, I'm on the side of the Canadians here. My point was this is not nor does it pretend to be a news show. It is an example of the Howard Stern model of shock broadcasting under the guise of comedy. This show competes with similar shows on other networks in a effort to see who can be the most tasteless.

No one I know watches this stuff, if I'm up late the History Channel is on.
Regards,
Squire
DEF

Post by DEF »

No amount of Molson could make that stuff funny.
Doug
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

As a retired member of the military, the Canadian Army will not take a year long vacation. Trust me. They are a very professional and ready force with which to contend. There may be some truth in the fact that their vehicles are in disrepair, as are ours. We are leaving many of ours over in Iraq because it would cost more to bring them home to repair them than it would to just leave them in place. The environment in Iraq just beats the hell out of them to the point they are in some instances unrepairable.

I believe the General (if the truth were known) meant the Army needs to back up and regroup, retrain, rebuild, rearm, and yes take a litttle R&R. Not an unreasonable request in point of view. A year is not unreasonable to accomplish this task. Will they be available in a crisis situation, you bet.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
never2close

Post by never2close »

jtpca wrote:See this:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2009/03 ... cking.html

The fact that people follow the Fox Network and accept it as news scares me.
You're easily frightened.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Without venturing (much) into politics, and as a service to our Canadian friends, I'll just reiterate what others have said above, and state what is more or less a known fact to most in the States. 'Fox News' is not a real news channel, their 'news' starts and ends in their name. It is Rupert Murdoch's mouthpiece, say like The Sun but with a good dose of political ideology on one side of the spectrum. I say 'fact', for beyond it being taken as a given by the entire journalistic academia, all studies and fact checking organizations have found as much.

And to that, add that that 'show' is on their lowest rung, like a supermarket gossip rag. I was subjected to a 5 minute segment the other day while in a waiting room, and there was a shirt-less male on that show making animal noises. The topic at hand was Paris Hilton.

For shame, we have nothing like the BBC news. The best we have, if judging by neurality and integrity, would be NPR news on public radio, and CNN if one absolutely must get the news with visuals, though they do lean slightly on the other side of the political spectrum. MSNBC, the other large news network, is the equivalent of Fox 'News' in Bizarro World. Knowing this, whilst I don't watch television with any frequency, The History Channel being the sole network that my TiVo records, I'll admit feeling happiest perching at MSNBC should there be something newsworthy to watch, such has the presidential elections. I guess one always wants to reinforce one's views. :wink:

/subtle_ politicking
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire wrote:Exactly as you said Ren, I'm on the side of the Canadians here. My point was this is not nor does it pretend to be a news show. It is an example of the Howard Stern model of shock broadcasting under the guise of comedy. This show competes with similar shows on other networks in a effort to see who can be the most tasteless.

No one I know watches this stuff, if I'm up late the History Channel is on.
Very well stated, Squire.

I've never seen this program, and I was more and more astrounded as it progressed. At one time, this would not have been considered fit for national television. The ignorant are influenced by drivel like this, and I frankly found it indecent.

To our Canadian members, you have my respect and my admiration. This certainly doesn't represent my view of Canada.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Larry, For shame! I thought EVERYONE outside the US knew to pay no attention to Fox. Hell, everyone here with any sense ignores it. What else can you do? America has always had more then it's share of loonies, the only question has ever been; are they taken seriously by anyone else? Hopefully, during the next few years they will recede back into the shadows on the periphery of the society, which is where they were when I was younger.
Regards,
Gordon