Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3

Post by rustyblade »

I bought this camera last week and it is quite spiffy in my opinion. It is a compact-ish camera that takes pictures with the quality approaching that of an SLR. It has a fast lens (f2.0) which is great for taking indoor pictures with no flash and a 24mm wide angle lens. Panasonic, instead of getting into the silly mega-pixel race with other manufacturers kept the pixel level similar to that of its predecessor and made the sensor larger which long story short produces a nicer picture. Also takes HD video, and has buckets of features that more advanced photographers appreciate. In short, it is a great 'walk around' camera, it is much easier to carry around (and less conspicuous) than a full fledged SLR and yet you don't compromise much as you do with other compact cameras. BTW, it is also the exact same camera as a Leica DLUX-4 (not a complete surprise as Leica supply the lenses to Panasonic and presumably Panasonic makes the electronics for Leica). It also has a very cool old-school look to it.

Richard
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I have a TZ-5. I loooooooooove my Lumix, and carry it everywhere with me since the day I got it (no exaggeration!). Great pictures, quick response time (except when the flash is recharging), and the moves are good.

Yay, Panasonic!

- Will
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I'm still digital free, but if I were to buy a camera, this one would be it. How people buy anything else is beyond me......A leica for a couple of hundred dollars???

Richard, is there a big elapse time between shots?

Clive

p.s. use it in good health dudester
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.p.s. any pics with the new camera of the princess?? :lol:
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

wenestvedt wrote:I have a TZ-5. I loooooooooove my Lumix
The TZ series is already up to 5? Wow. I love my "old" TZ-1 (three years old... ancient) Would not trade it for any other brand.

I've been trying to get my father to jump on the LUMIX bandwagon for some time. With the TZ's at 5, I can probably find a few bargains for older 2's and 3's. Looks like it will be a camera for Dad on Father's day. :)
~Greg
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The portability of this camera with the given feature set does indeed make it an ideal walk-around camera -- Leica lens and all. Happy shooting -- and pls post pics! \:D/
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nothing too special or fancy, mostly shots to prove what this camera can do. I haven't had a great deal of time to tinker with it this week but here are a few:

Evening, cloudy, not a great deal of light f2.0, ISO 80:

Handheld, indoor, no flash, some light coming in from the window f2.0 ISO 800 (a bit grainy at this point). Damn near impossible shot with other compact cameras:

16:9 ratio here. Wide angle, I'm sitting fairly close.
Richard
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Richard, that is one sweet camera. I really should purchase a new one for the summer vacation this year. :roll:
Regards,
Jani
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Richard, your daughter is really growing up!

I still haven't gone digital, myself, having a closet full of film gear and a preference for TLRs and medium format. Additionally, being left-eyed, I have a major problem with the ergonomics of all modern SLRs that I know of.

This camera is attractive, however. Does it have a finder other than the unit mounted on the accessory shoe, or is that a sensor of some kind that I see near the lens?

- Murray
Needashave

Post by Needashave »

I've heard some really good things about this camera. Congrats on your purchase!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Richard

Clive
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

The word is getting out on this camera, it is getting hard to find and in some cases selling for above retail.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Some B&W shots. No post-processing. Just remember this is a 'compact' camera.

You can tell I don't get out much anymore:

Another example of that great wide lens:

She won't eat an apple sliced, got to have it whole:
Richard
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I bought a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 thinking it would be an idiot-proof point and shoot camera that would deliver Rustybladesque pictures. I am living proof that it is not the camera that counts but the man behind it.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Ren, I wish I had a fraction of the talent as Yukio.

And for some reason taking a photo in B&W makes for a more interesting picture.
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Richard

the painting on the wall needs to be straightened :D

Clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

maybe its me thats off balance, anyhooooo, on the subject of photographs and cameras etc, Spiegel Online has a half decent photography section that might be of some inspiration

Clive
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Clive, I thought Richard did that so the shore would be level. :7)

And Ren, I have a TZ5 and not a whit of ability, and I get OK shots. Give it another try, I encourage you!
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

wenestvedt wrote:And Ren, I have a TZ5 and not a whit of ability, and I get OK shots. Give it another try, I encourage you!
The problem is that I started pushing buttons willy-nilly and now I don't know how to get back to the default settings. I don't have much patience for reading the manual, assuming I can still find it. Oh well. :oops:

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ren

Could you not write to Panasonic explaining your predicament and also asking them to help you?. You could say you are Mrs. Ren, thus preserving your camera manlihood while at the same time getting real answers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive