Star Trek...

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Thalay Sagar

Star Trek...

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Go see it.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Chris, is it that good?

I would be a Trekke also...

The trailer where the cop is chasing a car and it goes off the cliff, then you see a child climb up the cliff and the cop asks, "Whats your name son" and the child answers "James Tiberious Kirk Sir" ohh love that trailer....

After dinner tonight I said to the little woman, hey ya know Star trek opened today :-)
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Oh, yeah. It's not the old Trek- gritty and far from utopian- but it's a lot of fun. which I can't say for the last few movies. Or TV Series.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I watched a downloaded cam version. Interesting movie that reinforces my belief that young American actors can't act.
Ron
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Chris, great news, Star Trek is supposed to be all about fun and excitment, the acting I can live with.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Marty, while I'm no great judge of the thespian arts, I thought this cast as a whole did a better job than the Next Generation crew did as a whole (Stewart and Spinner excluded). That may damning by faint praise, though.
Best,
Chris

rgc

Post by rgc »

This is Star Trek for pete's sake, it has never been about the acting, it is about the adventure and fantasy in space. They say real trekies (I am not one) will not like this movie as it is fun and entertaining.

Can't wait to sneak away without the little ones and be entertained for a couple of hours.

rgc
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

My 9-year-old wants to see it.

Of course I'll take him to see it.

I have never, ever, watched a single episode nor any of the films so far :oops:

I don't know if that puts me at an advantage or not.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Saw it last night.

My fiancee is the huge trekkie in this relationship. Said she never missed an opening night of a Star Trek movie in her life.

We decided to go see it after dinner. Had to go to two restaurants. The first one was a debacle. It was a new place, one we had never gone to before. Let's just say the service was downright terrible. They put us in a terrible spot. We never even got to order entrees. We paid for what we ate and drank and left.

The second place was great. And since I was in a bad mood from the place before, the waitress got a little extra on her tip. Anyway, after that, my lady friend claims that she's running out of steam and doesn't know if she wants to go see it.

I load her up in my truck and force her into the movie, and let me tell you, she was glad I did. The movie was amazing. And if my trekkie-elitist of a fiancee who refuses to watch Enterprise or Nemesis says it was great, you'd better believe me that it was friggin amazing.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have to chime in here. I just got home from Star Trek and I have one word: awesome. The best space movie since Serenity. Just amazing. Go see it, you will not regret it! I think I might go again and I am not a huge Star Trek fan...

Edit: I do have to say the overuse of lens flare was getting a little old 20 minutes into the movie.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Loved the previous Trek movies -- and I am pretty sure I'll see this one as well -- only, I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD -- I am not into the movie scene - and prefer to watch on our home theatre. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Jukkie

Post by Jukkie »

I feel compelled to find time to sit down and watch the entire series from beginning to end (not in the same day) before I'll let myself watch the movie... I know... It's not necessary... I just don't like watching movies like that without getting all the inside references and really understanding the series for what it was.

It was one of the many shows that I liked, but never cared enough to follow the series to any great deal.

When I started watching it (I think I was about 4?) it was just for the cool intro with the planets and the music and that familiar opening line "Space... The final frontier"... It was pretty cool...

Back then I sorta wished it was a bit more like StarWars though... :lol:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

big fans I know went yesterday to see it....one did the imax version which he raved about. Anyway, both said the film rocked. I have never seen one of these films either. I think you space guys are all a little, shall I say, spacey??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive

p.s. rumour has it; lots of inside jokes.....so maybe first time watchers might be disadvantaged?
de gustibus non est disputandum
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Definitely the best Star Trek movie since the original crew. I'd put it on par with 2 and 4 (my personal favorites). If you're wanting to get the inside joke, I think they all came from the first six movies (except those that we're running character lines in both the series and movies). I'd also say that they did a great job with keeping the inside jokes subtle and you wouldn't be lost or fail to enjoy the movie if you don't catch them.

I'll say it's not the original series or movies. They we're rather clever in how they changed things so that they're not making tons of terrible contradiction with the existing movies. A good balance to allow a different presentation of the cast that will appeal better to modern audiences without ruining things for long time Trekkies.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Does the unknown crew member die (as always), That's got to be the toughest gig in the world.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

StGeorge wrote:Does the unknown crew member die (as always)....
That's "Unknown Red-shirt Guy". Red uniforms were the kiss of death on the original series.( with the exception of Mr. Scott and Lt. Uhura )
~Greg
Gene

Post by Gene »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:
That's "Unknown Red-shirt Guy". Red shirts were the kiss of death on the original series.( with the exception of Mr. Scott and Lt. Uhura )
I always heard it as "Red Shirt = Dead Shirt"

We were down to Start Trek or X-Men yesterday. My wife wanted to see X-Men, it was Mother's Day...you know how it is.

Star Trek next!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Scrapyard Ape wrote:
That's "Unknown Red-shirt Guy". Red uniforms were the kiss of death on the original series.( with the exception of Mr. Scott and Lt. Uhura )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWogTTQJRmE

Ensign Ricky gets a SAG card for speaking, that's the only difference.
Ron
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

rsp1202 wrote:
Scrapyard Ape wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWogTTQJRmE

Ensign Ricky gets a SAG card for speaking, that's the only difference.
"Ah crap!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! He knows he's dead. :P
~Greg
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So I ended up seeing it last night - I am traveling for work, and in Toronto where our oldest son lives so we met up, had a bite to eat and went to the AMC at Dundas & Yonge.

I will say that I enjoyed it -- but found a couple of problems with the physics of some of the effects. For example, since when do you "fall" in space towards terra firma where there is no gravity to pull you down?????? That one threw me off and it spoiled the story line of disarming the "drill".

The portrayal of Spock and Chekov were my favourites, for sure. Kirk was a bit over the top -- but then, so was Shatner, so no real complaints there.

Special effects were, for the most part very good as well - although perhaps a bit too much Star Wars/Star Trek overlap, imo.

The moving cameras bug me though, and for the first time in my life, I actually got motion sickness from the effect. Weird.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?