Any Blackberry Pearl users?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GregPQ

Any Blackberry Pearl users?

Post by GregPQ »

Due to chronic poor reception, I am in the process of making a trial switch to Verizon from AT&T, and Verizon is currently offering a Blackberry Pearl 8130 for free.

I have a bulky work-supplied BB with full qwerty keyboard, but use it only for email. This would allow me to have everything in one compact package.

The issue of course is the SureType keyboard, with two letters for every key. I've heard you can learn to love it.

Any users care to chime in?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have been using a Blackberry for 5 years now - and have never had one with the full qwerty keyboard -- but have always had the Sure-Type models.

I have been on a Peal since it first came out -- the main downfall, imo, is the screen size. It's small - and is a pain to read at times. I came for a Texas Instruments' T-9 keyboard for text entry, so moving to the Sure-Type was a piece of cake for me. The Pearl is a great device -- nicely sized, and fits easily in any pocket.

I am at the point where I am going to be replacing my trusty Pearl -- and will either get the Storm or the World Edition to accommodate international travel. I will miss it, for sure.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My wife has the Pearl and daughter and I have the Storm. Wife wanted the smaller size and now regrets it. Too small of a screen. However, the keys on the Pearl are a bit bigger than on the Storm so if they could marry the two .....
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:My wife has the Pearl and daughter and I have the Storm. Wife wanted the smaller size and now regrets it. Too small of a screen. However, the keys on the Pearl are a bit bigger than on the Storm so if they could marry the two .....
Exactly ---- the reason I am considering the World Edition (aka 8830) -- showing here:

Easily the most common of all the BBs hanging around my office (and all IBM offices here in Canada, to be honest). The Storm is getting bought, then getting dissed with lots of buyer remorse -- because it's too slow to type with in the end of the day. They have recently released a new updated Storm without the touch-press screen thingie -- more iPhone-like, just touch with no press. It might be worthwhile checking out as well.

In the end - the screen of the Pearl is brutally small -- even though the form factor fits easily in most all pockets. Give-and-take - as always - with electronics.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

I have a love/hate relationship with my Pearl. Some days I love the Suretype but on other days it's a pain. Mainly my issue is with words that are not in the dictionary or when trying to use abbreviations. But when typing common words it is quick and easy. The plus side is its size. Very pocket friendly. But yeah the screen is kind of small. Overall I am happy with it. I plan to upgrade in a few months to a 9630 when it is released. It is also rumored that a Storm 2 will soon be released that improves on the many complaints users had about the original. Btw, these are both on Verizon.

The reliability and data speed has been good in my experience with Verizon. The one caveat is cost of service and lack of Wi-Fi that is offered on other carriers. Blackberry Media Sync allows syncing with Itunes but does not allow you to transfer music or other media with DRMs. I use it for podcasts only so not an issue for me.
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
never2close

Post by never2close »

I briefly used the Pearl, but the screen was too small. If you need reading glasses I would choose carefully.
rgc

Post by rgc »

The only BlackBerry I have used is the one I have now, the 8900. What a perfect phone for me. That said, if you can wait a few months there are going to be a slew of new BlackBerry phones released.

rgc
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

I too had one; if you rely on sending numerous emails from your smartphone, you may find this unit to be frustrating as one key is allocated to several letters.

For this reason, I upgraded to the curve.

Regards,
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Gene

Post by Gene »

I picked up the 8830 World Edition in January. I admit is it a bit wide, but I prefer the full keyboard and larger screen.

When I bought this phone I had the choice of this one, or the Curve, both at the same price. I picked this one because it takes a SIM card, so I can use it Internationally. I expect to go to China this year, want to have a working cell phone.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore