Fountain Pens

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Gone Troppo

Post by Gone Troppo »

"...but that's not what I want to do. I want a 'user' to write with."

That's what I said to myself a few years ago. I now have 10 pens in rotation, five inks, and occasionally make pen boxes for "fun." Seriously, if you really just want a user, you can pick up the heir to the Shaeffer school pen, the Pilot Varsity, for five bucks at Staples. They don't leak or skip, and write more smoothly than far more expensive pens I've owned. For a few bucks more, I suggest:

http://hisnibs.com/pilot_pens.htm
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

I think I have the exact pen you are looking for. It's called a Shaeffer School Pen. I am pretty sure I have an original one. I'll check and if I still have it I'll sell it to you cheap. I also have a bunch of great Parker pens that would work for a daily writer that you can get for way under $100. PM me if you want more info.

Tony
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I too have been looking into the world of Fountain Pens. I've always been a stationary geek. I love notebooks and things like that. I guess it's because I'm a writer. I have a drawer full of blank notebooks I bought because they spoke to me. It's only lately that I've gotten into the pens too.

My grandpa gave me an Esterbrook J Model from when he was in high school a couple of weeks ago. I've been using it around the house. I can't seem to bring it outside though. It was a gift from my grandpa and I would dread losing.

I would love to own a Waterman or something, but they're just too expensive. I know, I know, it'll last me a lifetime, right? I lose things so easily I can't count how many pens I lose in a week. I go through boxes of them. I have taken to buying disposable gel pens three boxes at a time.

On top of the losing issue, what if I flat out don't like them? So what I've been looking at is the Ohto Tasche pen. It's around $15 and has gotten some decent reviews. So you might want to look into that. I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever get one.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

For my money, the best everyday pen is the classic Parker 51. I have used several iterations of the Parker 51. The most recent, of course, is the limited edition, which would set you back several hundred bucks, more than you've budgeted for a starter pen. But you can get an excellent used aerometric for under $100, and, if you shop around, you can get a pen/pencil set for a reasonable price. It's a classic design that always garners comment when you pull it out of your pocket.

Check it out:

http://www.parker51.com/index.html

jt
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Hi gents and thank you for all the feedback, PM's, & info; it's really been very helpful.
I decieded on a black, Waterman Phileas, with gold trim and a fine nib.
It's NIB and comes with a converter, 1 or 2 cartridges ( I forget) and the box. The whole thing was $26.33 plus shipping and I believe it will suffice my needs very nicely. You know, writing all those NSF checks.... :lol: for all the shaving gear!
I'm glad that I asked for info on this forum before I just went of blindly and purchased one. Thank you all again!
Hmmm....you know, that Lamy Safari looked allfully good too......:-k
Regards,
David
Gene

Post by Gene »

MiloFinch wrote:I would love to own a Waterman or something, but they're just too expensive.
I agree on watching over a keepsake carefully. The Waterman Phileas that DB talks about is a very nice pen, at a fantastic price. I have that same model, in the extra fine nib, and I love it. My daily writer.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

desertbadger wrote:Hmmm....you know, that Lamy Safari looked allfully good too......:-k
Why spend more and get less?

I've had much more expensive pens that didn't write as well and were nowhere near as trouble-free.
Gene

Post by Gene »

I've heard that about the Lami pens...and will probably buy a few some day.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore