How's work?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

How's work?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Fantastic, I love my work.
20%
Really good, but nothing's perfect.
23%
Good enough. It's better than job hunting.
18%
I'll hang in for now, but when the economy turns around, adios!
5%
Man, I hate this, but income's a must.
13%
Stay at home dad, and liking that.
No votes
Stay at home dad, but unsatisfied with that.
No votes
Retired and comfortable.
5%
Retired, but I need to find some work.
No votes
Unemployed, but not worried.
No votes
Unemployed, and worried!
13%
On disability.
No votes
Full-time student.
4%

Total votes: 56

2clfrwrds

How's work?

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Just curious: how's work? (Poll closes mid-September 2009.)

--Glenn
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

I wish for multiple choices to be available. I am a full-time student, but certainly work part-time. In regard to the job, I enjoy it, though no job is perfect. And, thanks to living extremely poor while going to grad school, I have to depend on the income of a roommate, who is currently in slightly dire straights due to the economy and not being able to find a job. I may be booting him soon, too, simply because of the money issue. It's a shame as good roommates are hard to find. So there you have it. Would love to be able to check multiple due to the complexity of the situation.
IanM

Post by IanM »

I'm busy at work, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, at this moment in time, I'm not really enjoying it, which is a bad thing, but looking for something else would be foolish until things perk up economy-wise.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Work? What's that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rgc

Post by rgc »

I was looking for the option of "I don't know, I still need more coffee."
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

fallingwickets wrote:Work? What's that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive
It's that thing that some people do so they can get those doo-dads that allow them to obtain knicks and knacks. Hope that helps. 8)
~Greg
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I've got a great job and look forward to going to work each morning. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
Danny
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

I'm in the boat with Cigar Dan...I absolutely love my job and look forward to work.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Cigar Dan wrote:I've got a great job and look forward to going to work each morning. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
I'd give my eye teeth to be in your position. More power to you =D>
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Well, I feel like I'm a lucky dog, too...I've got a good job in the field I always wanted to work in (newspapers). I look forward to the challenge each day, and marvel that a public school kid who had to pay his own way to college -- ten years after high school -- has made it this far.

Then again, that might reflect how bad things in the newspaper business are these days! :shock:
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I put good enough, but almost said the not quite perfect option. I'm having to do whatever work comes up, not getting to delegate the stuff I don't like, and do more travel. It would be the same anywhere else right now for me. When the economy picks back up, I'll be at one of the top two spots again.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I love my job; I just wish there were less of it to love. What I do feels all too often like "meatball surgery" as people leave but work does not. But they treat me pretty well there and it sure beats looking for a job....
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I consider myself most fortunate to work for a company who has allowed me to move my career along at my own pace, and given me opportunities to really stretch, grow and make excellent money while doing so.

So -- for me, work is excellent, and I enjoy it very much. Sure - it is extremely busy, and many is the time that I find I need to work well in excess of 10 or more a day in order to get the job done. The up side is that when the job is done, I can sit back and relax a bit while I wait for the next big wave to hit. As I say, I am very fortunate, and well taken care of.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Paddywhacked

Post by Paddywhacked »

rgc wrote:I was looking for the option of "I don't know, I still need more coffee."
Nice.

I'm a full time student, so I'm still looking for work on a part-time basis. But there seems to be no work this summer, at least in the Detroit area.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Jack

Nice story.....you should be the poster boy for : It's never to late or too hard

clive
Chap

Post by Chap »

Student doing some research over the summer, I spend most of the day staring in a stupor at endless equations, then go home. The upside is, no one cares when I come in or go home, which means long lie-ins and afternoon naps.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wendell

You must be doing a bang up job over there or else how did IBM blow out its numbers???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clive
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Yesterday stank, today is pretty good, tomorrow as with with any other sunrise is up to the subordinates.

:wink:
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Recently graduated with a BA in English. I was rejected from all the graduate schools I applied to. I've had one interview in April for a teaching position and didn't get it because the current teacher resigned her contract. I took my civil service exam to work at the public library in March. I scored an 85. They haven't even begun interviewing for that position yet because of the bureaucracy.

I've been sending out two and three resumes a day for the last two months and nothing. I've applied with offshore drilling companies, and I'm about as far from a roughneck as you can get. I've applied at Barnes and Noble, Bed Bath and Beyond, Hibbett Sports, Wal-Mart, Albertson's, Target, and yes, even Taco Bell. Nothing.

I haven't even had an interview since April. And I'm not just applying locally. I've been submitting resumes everywhere from New York to LA to Montana and Mississippi. The economy is in the crapper and no one is hiring.

The best prospect I have is being a security guard. A friend of mine does that. Says that his company is always hiring because turnover is so high. I'm heading there soon.

Any of you fine gentlemen need a writer/editor with a creative writing background and intermediate knowledge of the Spanish language?
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Working in Child Protective Services for 26 years, the subject matter can become oppressive. Nevertheless, I work with a great group of people and I'm grateful to be employed.

- Murray

PS. Milo, I wish you the best. Trying to start a profession, and/or simply finding employment, in times like these is a rough place to be.