Hot air ballon ride

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
desertbadger

Hot air ballon ride

Post by desertbadger »

SWMBO and I returned from New Mexico last week, after attending the annual Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. Her brother Steven is an active balloonist and here are some pictures that I took. Sorry the pictures aren't in the same quality as Ian's, however, I was kind of limited because of the camera that I was using. (At least that's the excuse that I'm going to stick with... :lol: ) I did learn that when you're inside the gondola or basket and the balloon is moving, it's tricky to get pictures of other balloons that are also moving! Still, it's some great memories from an activity that most people will never partake in.
For those of you that are into specifics, the name of his balloon is Miss B' Haven and its 80,000 cubic feet. Steven operates a single burner, but it's a really tricked out, provides ultra high performance, and the BTU's are higher than most double burners.
The event is the largest in the world and was attended by over a 100,000 people from all over the globe.
BTW, you have to have a pilot's license and pass all the different aeronautical tests and qualifications in order to operate these balloons or envelopes as they’re called.
The night shots unfortunately, did not turn out well. I took a bunch of them as the subject matter was very colorful with the different balloons all lit up. Most of the photos to my deepest regret, were blurry. Talk about being pissed off!

Bro-in law, Steven Adams: owner, operator, and one hell of a pilot. If he wanted to, he could land on top of a tree and make the balloon stay there! No joke! But that's another story... :lol:
The little munchkin he's holding is his lovely daughter, Elizamarie, his first child. She's just as sweet as she looks.

Getting the envelope ready for inflation.

Initial blast of hot air air to get the balloon inflated.

Still going...

Amost there...

Viola! Now you have to keep it on the ground!

Adding a bit more heat to stablize the envelope

We're flying!

Perfect landing in a nice flat area...a wash near a sewer treatment plant... :shock:

A few random shots

Regards,
David
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Wow, looks amazing. An experience I've never had. Looks like a lot of fun.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I took one trip in one locally. We were floating over a ranch and the pilot thought it was cute to spook the horses below. I asked him not to. He said 'Awe, but it's fun!' I said 'awe, but the big sorrell is mine and shes in foal. Her stud fee was $1500. Do you have $1500 to lose?'
Beyond that, it was a marvelous ride and I've flown sailplanes and sat shotgun in some vintage aircraft.
The USN had special wings for it's blimp pilots. You can still find them.
Nice gift for your pilot there.
teabag

Post by teabag »

A lovely collection of colourful pics, David.

An enthralling time was had by all judging by the photographs.
Regards,

Phil.

Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat - Fortune favours the brave
rgc

Post by rgc »

Some nice pictures you posted. My mom (who recently retired) and a couple of her friends were there this year too. Not sure yet if she went for a ride as she is still enjoying her trip, but, she sent a bunch of pics back to her grandkids. Seems like a lot of pictures must have been taken of that clown fish envelope.
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

Nice photos, David!

I have many fond memories of the ABQ balloon fiesta... my mother-in-law was a balloon pilot and I have many fond memories of flying with her at the fiesta and other times. She was a great mom-in-law, much missed since her early passing ~12 yrs ago. She used to have a bumper sticker that said, "Don't tell my mother I'm a balloonist, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse!"

I haven't been to the Fiesta for about 5 years now -- about time to do it again!
John
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I don't know if this is true or not, I'm just passing on what I was told.
Back in the day before digital cameras when you used print or slide film, Kodak sold more film for the ballon fiesta than for any other single event.
At first I thought that maybe it was just a "fish story" but after being there for several days, I did notice that almost everyone carried a camera.
Regards,
David
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

rgc wrote:Some nice pictures you posted. My mom (who recently retired) and a couple of her friends were there this year too. Not sure yet if she went for a ride as she is still enjoying her trip, but, she sent a bunch of pics back to her grandkids. Seems like a lot of pictures must have been taken of that clown fish envelope.
Yeah, rgc, that's Elmo, the fish cartoon character. The people that fly it are factory sponsored and it's a big hit with the kids; I took other pictures of some really different balloons, the kind where you wondered how they ever got it off the ground. Unforunately, the pictures turned out blurry.... :x
Regards,
David
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

'Back in the day before digital camera'------Primal scream.
Along with my old/new 'old fashioned shaving set' as my nephews call it ( electric razor users, you can CUT yourself with a disposable uncle chris)
I respectfully ask for ; real silver in my coins, staples in Playboy again- and real women,rotary dail , black telephones and Ma Bell with every cellphone,blackberry and ipod confiscated on pain of death, Red Skelton on friday night instead of Judge Judy and Doctor Phil, real creme in my coffee, 37 cent gasoline and ties- even bad ones for xmas instead of 'hoodies' with some EMO rock band on the chest.
I probably have more,much more if I think about it.Clutches my new shaving brush like a frightened child holds a teddy bear. :lol:
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

KAV wrote:'Back in the day before digital camera'------Primal scream.
Along with my old/new 'old fashioned shaving set' as my nephews call it ( electric razor users, you can CUT yourself with a disposable uncle chris)
I respectfully ask for ; real silver in my coins, staples in Playboy again- and real women,rotary dail , black telephones and Ma Bell with every cellphone,blackberry and ipod confiscated on pain of death, Red Skelton on friday night instead of Judge Judy and Doctor Phil, real creme in my coffee, 37 cent gasoline and ties- even bad ones for xmas instead of 'hoodies' with some EMO rock band on the chest.
I probably have more,much more if I think about it.Clutches my new shaving brush like a frightened child holds a teddy bear. :lol:
I remember all that stuff.... :cry:
Regards,
David
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Wow! That's so cool! I also like some of the unusual baloons.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Looks like the sky every labour-day weekend here in Ottawa, when Gatineau, Quebec run their annual balloon fest across the Ottawa River from us. Quite a cool sight, I agree.

I've always wanted to take a ride in one -- my wife refuses to even try -- it's not the height, it's the worry about having to need a toilet while way up there in the air. Truth! :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Very cool. My wife was with a balloon crew (and was studying for her pilots' license...yes, balloon flyers need licenses too) when we met and had been to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque several times. She says its an amazing site and would like to go back sometime.

--Mark
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

My wife and I took a balloon ride a few years ago down in Scottsdale, AZ. It has to be one of the most peaceful and pleasant ways to fly.

Even with the early flight time (we took off shortly after 6:00am) and the crash we happened to have on take off (talk about some excitement) it was a most enjoyable way to spend four hours.
Good shaving,

Gary
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i must have this one.

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

D.Irving79 wrote:i must have this one.

Hmmmm.....Dave, you might want to reconsider.....from what I understand that particular type of balloon because of the geometrics involved, is bitch to fly!
Regards,
David
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Oh, THAT would speed up a New Jersey commute! :lol:
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Oh, THAT would speed up a New Jersey commut
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

incredible thread. many thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

The weather was a little dicey for some of that week but there were a few great days. A heavy work schedule didnt allow time for me to go, but my wife went with a friend and got a few pics.

soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Those look really interesting. I wonder if they were harder to fly.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com