Your favorite "budget booze"

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
DavidB

Your favorite "budget booze"

Post by DavidB »

Posts on several cocktail-related discussion threads showed that there are several fans of low-cost spirits, notably Gordon's gin, and not just because of price or "bang for the buck," but because they like the taste, and in some cases prefer it over the premium offerings.

I'm a recent convert to Gordon's, and not just for gin and tonics; it makes a nice martini.

Another fave of mine is Early Times bourbon. ~$15 for 1.75 liters. I love the high-end stuff, but find myself coming back to Early Times for sipping, Manhattans, etc.

What budget booze do you really like and recommend?

Dave
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

famous grouse whiskey, but only with water or some other additive...neat isn't that great

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Tesco's own brand blended whisky. Surprisingly good.
Araner

Post by Araner »

Kessler’s Blended Whisky – cheap and tastes great with coke.

Gordon’s Vodka – people can keep their fancy boutique vodkas, I’ll take el-cheapo Gordon’s any day of the week; great for Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys!

Ballantine's Blended Scotch Whisky (12 years old) – Not dirt cheap but a bargain considering (in my opinion) the quality one gets for the price.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

fallingwickets wrote:famous grouse whiskey, but only with water or some other additive...neat isn't that great
I read mention about the Famous Grouse in a novel, so of course had to try it. I used to sip a whiskey-rocks while watching "Magnum P.I." on TV, and both went down easier together than separately.
Ron
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Nice thread topic, Dave.

I agree with many of the suggestions, and would add:
Vodkas: Gordons, plus Popov and Gilbeys
Whiskeys: Kessler and Early Times, with Old Crow just a step behind.

--Glenn
MrSmooth

Post by MrSmooth »

Well, you've mentioned Gordons, and Seagram's Extra Dry gin is good too.

In my opinion the best cheap bourbon is Evan Williams Black label. 1.75L runs about $20 around here. I even sometimes enjoy sipping it on the rocks, which I can't say I enjoy with the other lower shelf bourbons.

I'll admit, I spent some time on the lower shelves hunting for bourbon and gin values, and those three are what I've settled on as the best values for the money -- and my tastes. Sometimes I splurge, but those are the 'well liquors' at my place.

When it comes to scotch, Grouse is fine. I'd be more likely to buy Johnny Walker Red or Dewars tho.
John
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

E&J VSOP Brandy.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I'm a Gordon's man. I don't drink bourbon, but my dad used to drink Early Times and then later switched to Virginia Gentleman. On VERY special occasions, he would pull out the Wild Turkey. His crowd -- and they were not poor, just a different generation -- would not think of buying the premium liquors that are so popular today. It was Smirnoff or Popov vodka, J&B scotch and Gilbey's gin.
Jim
Araner

Post by Araner »

Kyle76 wrote:I'm a Gordon's man. I don't drink bourbon, but my dad used to drink Early Times and then later switched to Virginia Gentleman. On VERY special occasions, he would pull out the Wild Turkey. His crowd -- and they were not poor, just a different generation -- would not think of buying the premium liquors that are so popular today. It was Smirnoff or Popov vodka, J&B scotch and Gilbey's gin.
Great post... makes me remember the reason for being here!
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

I normally adhere to the adage that life is too short to drink cheap booze (or use inferior shaving products) however there are some instances where you can get away with less expensive liquor, such as cheaper vodka in a screwdriver. There is one drink where lower quality booze is actually necessary and that is the margarita. I make a killer margarita and cheap tequila is a key ingredient. I'm not talking about the bottom shelf stuff which is essentially lighter fluid. I mean middle-of-the-road hooch like Jose Cuervo or Sauza. Tequila bite is a main component of the margarita. The top shelf stuff like Patron or Don Julio is too smooth and gets lost among the other ingredients. Good tequila = bad margarita.
Brett
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Kyle76 wrote:I'm a Gordon's man. I don't drink bourbon, but my dad used to drink Early Times and then later switched to Virginia Gentleman. On VERY special occasions, he would pull out the Wild Turkey. His crowd -- and they were not poor, just a different generation -- would not think of buying the premium liquors that are so popular today. It was Smirnoff or Popov vodka, J&B scotch and Gilbey's gin.
Gilbey's gin. My folks always had that at their cocktail parties.

Dave
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Araner wrote:Gordon’s Vodka – people can keep their fancy boutique vodkas, I’ll take el-cheapo Gordon’s any day of the week; great for Screwdrivers and Bloody Marys!
+1

Hell, I think it's nice enough to drink on the rocks...which I do...almost every night. I usually get a 1.75L for $14.

I always chuckle to myself when people buy expensive vodkas like Skyy, Smirnoff, and Absolut. Not only are these no better than Gordon's, but when you're mixing a vodka drink (as folks who buy those vodkas usually are) you wouldn't taste a quality vodka anyway. The profit margins of Skyy, Smirnoff, etc must be through the roof. Or maybe they blow it on their advertising budgets.

Actually reminds me of people wasting their money on "designer" shave products like Anthony Logistics that are no better than cheap drugstore counterparts.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The TV show 20/20 did a blind taste test of super premium vodkas a year or so ago, and they threw in a ringer. Nearly all of the judges, so-called vodka snobs, said the most disgusting of the group was Grey Goose, while the clear winner was the ringer -- plain old Smirnoff.
Jim
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

Being a 'beer snob' I typically haste in in downgrading my selection, though when I do, I will sample some Pilsner.

For those not familiar with this Canadian classic, please see http://www.oldstylepilsner.com/home.php

Cheers!
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Kyle76 wrote:The TV show 20/20 did a blind taste test of super premium vodkas a year or so ago, and they threw in a ringer. Nearly all of the judges, so-called vodka snobs, said the most disgusting of the group was Grey Goose, while the clear winner was the ringer -- plain old Smirnoff.
Hahaha. I would've predicted that. But even Smirnoff is over-priced, compared to Gordon's.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
Clay

Post by Clay »

Seagrams Dry Gin

Evan Williams 1783 Bourbon

Evan Williams Bonded Bourbon

Buffalo Trace Bourbon - best buy on the planet

Pabst Blue Ribbon beer

Cruzon Diamond Rum
CK

Post by CK »

There is something about the Buffalo Trace Bourbon that I dont like. Can't drink it straight. It does make a fine old fashioned though.
Charlie
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

My favorite budget beer is Beck's \:D/ \:D/ .

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Overall, Jack Daniels is my choice.

Notable runner ups:

Beer = Lakeport
Scotch = J&B