Beer Review: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Beer Review: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

Post by Chris »

Gents,

In addition to wetshaving, I have a few other passions. Above all, my main passion is beer, particularly craft brews, "extreme" beers and micro-brews. I like to share my passion, and I keep a database of beer reviews, and being as this is by far the most friendly and helpful forum I have ever been on, I figured I'd share them with you, and if you gents like these reviews, then I'll continue posting them. Please, let me know what you think!

Tonight, I am drinking one of my favorite yearly offerings, Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine style ale. What is this Barleywine business, you ask? Well, Barleywines are pretty much the strongest traditional ales brewed as far as alcohol content (I'm not including "extreme" beers, some of which have a very high alcohol content, as "traditional" ales). Barleywines are strong (Not whiskey storng, mind you, but far stronger than typical beers). Barleywines typically range from 10-15% ABV.

There is more to Barleywines than just alcohol though, in fact, most are smooth enough that you don't notice the alcohol content (you gotta be careful, this ales must be respected, these are not ales you drink 6 at a setting. They can literally kick your ass). These ales, in my opinion, offer the best flavor nuances of any style ales. Not alot of breweries brew Barleywines as they are expensive and very time consuming to brew, but those that do, for the most part, do it extremely well.

Perhaps my favorite Barleywine is Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine. I am currently drinking the 2005 vintage (Yes, beerscan have vintages...some age VERY well, changing there total character. If you were to drink a 2005 Bigfoot in 2006, it will have aged and become a mellow and smooth masterpiece). Here are my tasting notes:

1. The Pour: This vintage poured extremely nice, with a thick head, which is not typical of Barleywines.

2. The Smell: Loads of smells here, mostly malt, but lots of citrus and fruit influence. Sweetish smell.

3. Taste: This vintage has a bit of bite to it. Very fruity, with a bit of grapefruit tartness, a bit of coffee and a touch of earth and hops. Very, very good.

4. Mouthfeel: Thick and viscuous.

Overall, this is a great beer. I highly recommend you pick it up. It is particularly enjoyable on a cold night, and goes great with cheese (especially a nice imported Italian Asiago).