Snowstorm

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Straight Arrow

Snowstorm

Post by Straight Arrow »

What a beautiful morning. Already a foot of snow on the ground in South Jersey and another foot is expected by tonight. Lovin' the weather!
Rich
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I'm jealous! It's been snowing all day here and we still don't have any measurable snow on the ground, just a few white patches here and there.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Here in Rhode Island they're upping the ante on the forecast: ten to sixteen inches by tomorrow. Like good Rhode Islanders we already bought bread and milk last night. (And being a good Minnesota boy, I also bought gas for the snow-blower and borrowed a movie.)

Oddly, the worst weather will be along the ocean shore. Usually it's worse farther inland. Neener-neener!

- Will
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

And my two sons, who were due home today for Xmas, are now stranded in Philadelphia....sigh. Well, we were fortunate though as we managed to get the last two seats on a rescheduled flight Monday. I do miss the seasonal weather though. No matter how long I am here I've never gotten used to, or okay with, this tropical swamp trip. Xmas just isn't real to me in this kind of climate.
Regards,
Gordon
DEF

Post by DEF »

Powered by D.R. Harris, my friends. And black tuque mojo.

That's about 800 square feet of driveway at 6-8 inches deep.
Doug
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Doug

you never fail to impress, but did you know that when the sun shines the snow disappears all by itself??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a great evening

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
DEF

Post by DEF »

Be your own sunshine, Clive. Be your own sunshine. 8)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Doug, great job on the driveway. Now, were you buff before you did all that??????
DEF

Post by DEF »

Ha, Sam. Not before, during, or since. Especially since; I just played the boy a game of Stratego on the bed and had to log roll off onto the floor. The back and shoulders are not happy.

I am going to have to hit it again tomorrow to clear the mailbox; I stupidly threw much of the snow from the lower driveway right in front of the post. ](*,)
Doug
druphus

Post by druphus »

DEF wrote:Image

Powered by D.R. Harris, my friends. And black tuque mojo.

That's about 800 square feet of driveway at 6-8 inches deep.
Doug, what can I say? You're a stud, bud!

Don't move to Colodado with that driveway unless you are ready for 2 feet of snow!
Regards,
Andy
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Doug, did you take a hair dryer to the driveway to dry it out like that? Very, very nice work!
DEF

Post by DEF »

We've been fortunate to have daytime sun and dry air, so we get some good melting/drying action. Unfortunately at night it refreezes to glare ice on the roadways. We had a late Christmas at my mom's yesterday, and the neighborhood streets were ice-packed curb to curb. When we must go out, we're doing it between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. to get full advantage of the sun.
Doug
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Doug, by the way, that's a very nice house.
Regards,
Jani
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thank you, Jani. That is the neighbor's house across the street, of course -- belonging to a retired minister and his wife. Ours has an upstairs, but it follows that style. One thing I can say -- they have large driveways!

In other news, the black tuque mojo was invoked again today. We visited my in-laws and got stuck at the bottom of their hill in our family van. We had to grab the shovels and bust through half-inch ice down to bare pavement, then sprinkle sand and salt for traction. We cleared a "launch pad" about double the footprint of our car, then left about 15 yards where snowpack still covered the ice. Then, on the critical part of the hill, we cleared two ruts running for about 20 yards. I put on the tuque, backed the van into the launch pad, and let it go. The launch pad gave me the momentum to cross the snowpack and hit the ruts. Coming out of those, I was able to skip over more snowpack to a dry patch where a car had been parked curbside. When I felt the tires bite on the dry patch and kick me out, I knew I had the last 20 yards of level snowpack in the bag. I never fancied myself a "lucky hat" kind of guy, but as I told my wife, "I know it's not causation, but it's correlation that is meaningful to me."
Doug
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Wow Doug -- we just push the snow and ice aside onto our lawns here in Ottawa. I am fortunate enough to have a snow thrower which does the work for me. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

Portland, OR, just got hit with a nice bit of snow out of nowhere today. Nothin' like what the Northeast, midwest or, apparently, New Jersey have been getting, but enough to make the roads icey and cause all kindsa fun watchin' people's cars slide around at odd angles.
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

And here I am in Australia sweating my behind off. I was over in the USA in NJ a few years ago at XMAS, first time I had seen snow. I loved it, not sure how I would go year in year out with it. Sure looks nice though, I could lay in your drive right now and cool off :)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

how about a trade.....NJ for Australia, say from now until May???

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Hi Clive,

I have some good friends in Cinnaminson NJ, I like NJ/Phily like my second home, not sure about a trade in winter though.

I hear its pretty brutal over there at the moment