Flu Shots

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Julius_Rodman

Re: Flu Shots

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Anyway, I was woken about 3AM Sunday morning by a horribly upset stomach, and have had trouble with diarrhea ever since. I've never had this illness hit so fast after getting the shot, but I've also never had the H1N1 shot either.

Tom[/quote]

i'm not a doc, but flu is a respiratory ailment. i used to think it was discomfort until i started getting it regularly over the past 10 winters.

i'm in the midst of another battle with it. coughing violently for 5-10 minutes 20 times a day. starts to get annoying after a few days.

i'm asthmatic so i've kind of learned to calmly work through whatever lung hassles hit me at random times.

and the bacterial antibiotics are kicking in so i'm filling up a Big Gulp with broken up gunk each day.

i wasn't able to get a shot this fall.

people complained about a sore arm for a week after H1N1.

-----------------

Kent
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Kent, I understand that my symptoms are not the flu, but some adverse reactions to the shot itself, not necessarily the vaccine, but possibly the chemical carrier in the vaccine.

My problem with it is even though it has been documented in my medical records that I have these reactions within days of getting the flu shot every year, they still insist on giving me the shot, which really isn't effective. Before I joined the Air Force, I had the flu 3 or 4 times in my entire life, but never had a flu shot. Since I've joined the Air Force, I've been forced to get the shot every year, and every year I get sick from the shot, and still get the flu later in the season. I'm still forced to get the shot, even though it makes me sick and it's not effective against the flu.

That's what really bothers me. They treat all of us the same, regardless of common sense and logic pointing to the contrary.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Roger, I agree that it has been blown out of proportions.
Regards,
Jani
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

This H1N1 thing got a LOT of play in the media here in Canada. It was relentless.

While I'd like to believe the government was acting prudently and in our best interest by encouraging all of us to get shots and then taking over the distribution and administration of the vaccine, I suspect this was actually a test drive - a rehearsal for a genuine pandemic situation. It was a disaster. I hope lessons were learned.

I took both shots on the same day. The nurse suggested I take the H1N1 punch in my off hand arm. It was a good call. Aside from a bit of tenderness, I had no problems.
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

I always get the flu shot and never get the flu, but this year it nailed me good. I'm better now but my lungs still think I'm not: in any cool air they kind of seize up. I picked up something today from the pharmacy (Flovent) which should help.

I work at a college, and they firmly said no H1N1 shots for us....until today, when we found out we would get them soon. :7) Have to say, I am a little gun-shy of that one based on conversations with our esteemed pediatrician.

- Will
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

My wife, 2 year old, and I all had seasonal and 2009 pandemic H1N1 vaccine; no complications or problems in any of us. My daughter had the live attenuated vaccine up the nose for her H1N1. I had the injected H1N1 -- asthma and a history fo lymphoma being contraindications to the live attenuated vaccine.

Rather than attempt to rehash this stuff, if you are interested, go to sciencebasedmedicine.org for info on the hows, whys, and epidemeology of the flu vaccine.

The people I've seen die from the H1N1 pandemic flu... it wasn't pretty, they were in their 40s with families, and their deaths were probably completely preventable if a vaccine had been available at the time... all around tragic and sad affairs.

dave
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm a relatively healthy 31 y.o. health care provider and don't believe I need flu shots. I don't get them. My fiancee, who is a Speech Pathologist and works in the public school system, is on the other end of the spectrum and gets her shots every year. Aside from feeling 'under the weather' for a day or two, neither of us get sick, certainly not the flu - at least in the past 5 years or so...

I guess the moral of the story is whatever works for you, works for you...
-Andrew-
function

Post by function »

I think I managed to get the swine flu late this summer. I was not out too bad, but I had some horrible respiratory symptoms that lasted over a month, as well as some unexplained hives for almost a week. This coincided with a time when I was supposed to undergo treatment for another ailment, and it was a bad combo. Fortunately I avoided the treatment, and my lungs recovered after a month and a half.

Anyway, I got the regular flu shot soon after because any other ailment plus possible treatment was a bad combo, and I am happy I did. My job exposes me to lots of different businesses, and my wife is in healthcare and may or may not be regularly exposed to all kinds of lovelies (but HIPAA can't say which).

I could not be happier with getting the flu shot as I have avoided the flu since then, and I usually get hit once or twice a winter. I actually think I will get them yearly unless there is a shortage, at which point I will leave the care for the elderly and more vulnerable.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

drumana wrote:I'm a relatively healthy 31 y.o. health care provider and don't believe I need flu shots. I don't get them. My fiancee, who is a Speech Pathologist and works in the public school system, is on the other end of the spectrum and gets her shots every year. Aside from feeling 'under the weather' for a day or two, neither of us get sick, certainly not the flu - at least in the past 5 years or so...

I guess the moral of the story is whatever works for you, works for you...
I hope your patients are neither immunocompromised or elderly. Again, I refer interested parties to sciencebasedmedicine.org.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I have changed my mind. My very knowledgeable Dr. says Get the shot, now.
This is an email he sent to me on Jan. 23:

The H1N1 "swine flu" is making another round.
This strain has the potential to be serious.
There have already been a number of deaths (4000 In US, last I heard).
Young healthy people are more at risk for serious injury or death than is seen in usual varieties of type A flu.

This is similar to the pandemic 1918 flu that killed millions world wide (more soldiers died from the flu than died from the hostilities of wwI)
The vaccine for this flu is readily available --usually for the administration fee only.
This vaccine is made on exactly the same equipment and by the same process as the regular season flu vaccine has been made since 1977.
It is showing NONE of the problems seen with the vaccine of 1976--which did have some problems.(I took that one too)
The injection is NOT a live virus and cannot give you the flu.
The nasal spray is a live virus that is severly weakened and gives an almost impercetable infection.(I prefer the injection)
No, this is not a conspiracy to make the manufacturers rich by big time scare tactics.
Yes, it is possible and, I hope, likely that the whole thing is not as big a deal as some experts think it can be.
If it is a big deal, it may be a VERY BIG DEAL.
the best way to avoid getting sick and protect those around you is to get the vaccine, NOW!

I have had it, my wife has had it, most of my kids (grown) have had it, my formerly pregnant daughter and both my pregnant daughters in law have had it. I have seen NO SIGNIFICANT reactions in anyone that has taken it.

We are always happy the weather man was wrong when the tornado doesn't hit us, but we never consider it a sinister plot when he puts out the warning and gives us time to run to the storm shelter.

You have been warned. Full effect of the vaccine takes 2 wks. Don't wait till you see the funnel cloud to run to the cellar--you won't have time!!

Paul E. Schwartz MD

ps. The best antiviral drugs cost about 70-90 dollars per person. The virus is already showing 30% resistance or more to these drugs.

I know Dr. Schwartz and trust his call on this. Take it for what it is worth. - Roger
Last edited by Shave4Fun on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Needashave

Post by Needashave »

My personal theory is that if everyone else gets vaccinated, then I don't have to go for the jab!... :lol:

Besides I am sure that I have had both seasonal and H1N1 influenza already.
mattbramanti

Post by mattbramanti »

Shave4Fun wrote:Flu shots are for drug companies to make money.
That's irrelevant to this discussion, because the entire batch of H1N1 vaccine was bought and paid for by taxpayers.
“If you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas.” --Benjamin Franklin
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

mattbramanti wrote:
Shave4Fun wrote:Flu shots are for drug companies to make money.
That's irrelevant to this discussion, because the entire batch of H1N1 vaccine was bought and paid for by taxpayers.
Why is that irrelevant?
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.