HTC Touch Pro2 smartphone

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
m3m0ryleak

HTC Touch Pro2 smartphone

Post by m3m0ryleak »

And I'm not smart enough for it. :roll:

My employer saw fit to issue me this new phone after 5 years of a "dumb phone". Unfortunately, the user's manual is not (for me) very user friendly.
Any tricks, tips for this "old dawg" to help drag me into the 3G world.

Wow, now I'm like the cool kids on the playground, I can go into Starbucks, Panera Bread, and the like and suck up their Wifi.

Tony
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Same with an iPhone or the new Blackberrys -- regarding wi-fi. I am a fan of smartphones, but not because of the wifi thingy - because of the push email on my BB.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Tony, the HDC Touch Pro 2 is a Windows Mobile phone; Windows Mobile has never quite caught on in the phone world despite numerous attempts on Microsoft's part. However, it has been around for a loooooong time, so there are numerous "cheats" out there to help initiate you. One I found that looked pretty helpful is downloadable here. I'm sure there are others, depending on exactly the help you're looking for and the version of WM on the phone. If you're looking for help on the HTC itself, HTC's Web site has a quick reference guide to download from the first returned link here. You might also consider checking out reviews of the phone or some popular cell phone forums (just type the name of the phone into your favorite search engine); oftentimes they've figured out the obscure and obtuse. Good luck!
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

check out howardforums. great info and helpful people in general. they use a tiered forum system, though, that's kind of a pain to get through at first, but their search engine works well enough to balance that out.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Have you looked at the deplorable state of Spanish American War monuments lately? Consumers have been paying a tax on every telephone unit since that Splendid Little War levied on the new luxury telephone of Alexander Graham Bell. That tax was enacted to maintain the monuments and never retired. I imagine the moneys are going instead to the batf to keep .30 govertnment Krag assault rifles out of our hands instead.
TONY! reject supporting that which you fear! Throw away your telephone!
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Thanks gents.
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

KAV wrote:Have you looked at the deplorable state of Spanish American War monuments lately? Consumers have been paying a tax on every telephone unit since that Splendid Little War levied on the new luxury telephone of Alexander Graham Bell. That tax was enacted to maintain the monuments and never retired. I imagine the moneys are going instead to the batf to keep .30 govertnment Krag assault rifles out of our hands instead.
TONY! reject supporting that which you fear! Throw away your telephone!
I would love to have a Krag! I understand hyperbole but a Krag "assault rifle (!!??wtf)" was outgunned by the Mauser.

Every morning I walk across campus to work and I pass a Spanish War monument. It's an old mortar with a plaque in front of it.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
norm

Post by norm »

I have a Touch Pro 2. Windows Mobile phones can be some of the most powerful and customizable phones out there, but they kind of sacrifice usability for power.

If you're a phone geek and like customizing things, then it's a lot of fun. If you just want a phone that works, you're probably frustrated with it.

I wouldn't really know where to start as for tips and tricks. Are you looking for basics, or do you want to know how to push your phone to do cool things it can't do out of the box? Any specific questions?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

norm wrote:I have a Touch Pro 2. Windows Mobile phones can be some of the most powerful and customizable phones out there, but they kind of sacrifice usability for power.

If you're a phone geek and like customizing things, then it's a lot of fun. If you just want a phone that works, you're probably frustrated with it.

I wouldn't really know where to start as for tips and tricks. Are you looking for basics, or do you want to know how to push your phone to do cool things it can't do out of the box? Any specific questions?
I'd like negotiate the menus (quicker) as well as learn some shortcuts.
What freeware is out there?. Is the "touch" screen sensitivity adjustable for instance?, frustrates the hell out of me to touch/tap/swipe and nothing happens.
norm

Post by norm »

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this thread.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to adjust the screen sensitivity. I'm guessing that if something doesn't register as a touch then the device is maybe hanging. You do have to push a little harder on the Windows mobile devices than some of the others as it uses a different type of screen (resistive) which is more suited to a stylus, while others use capacitive which is more suited to finger use.

As far as freeware, there's quite a bit out there. the simplest place to get it is using windows mobile marketplace http://marketplace.windowsphone.com/Default.aspx. you can download it to your phone, and you can filter by freeware. There's lots of stuff that's not available from the marketplace though.

I don't know if this will help or not, but you can get a lot of good info at ppcgeeks.com. Most of the people there are power users, so it may be a lot more than you want to sift through, but you would probably get some good help there. Here's their Touch Pro2 forum http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Is Windows Mobile like regular Windows in that you need to keep downloading one "Critical Security Update" after another?