Wendell's Hearing Devices Updates

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Wendell's Hearing Devices Updates

Post by jww »

I picked up my devices about an hour ago (1630pm EST) and the initial reaction is that I can't believe my ears. I truly don't know where to start.

Initially, everything sounded a tad on the tinny side, but after only an hour, that's starting to disippate slightly. Normal expectations are that it takes the brain about a week to fully assimilate to the sound coming from the devices. I got in-ear-receiver style devices, and at first they did feel a bit odd -- itching my ear canal slightly. That too is waning slightly, and I can see that in a couple of days that I won't even notice that. Hearing my own voice amplified through the devices does take some getting used to -- like in my teen years singing in a basement band and using a monitor. This too I will get used to according to the audiologist who fitted me.

At the moment I am waiting for the bluetooth dongle (literally a device that hangs around my neck when being used) to charge and I hope to play with that later tomorrow or Wednesday.

The big news for me is that my tinnitus has been reduced so much that I can't even perceive the ringing any longer.

Gotta run for now -- but will give additional updates in the coming days and weeks.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Congratulations. I hope they will work out for you.
Regards,
Jani
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Good news Wendell, wish you all the best!
Good shaving,

Gary
Gene

Re: Wendell's Hearing Devices Updates

Post by Gene »

jww wrote:IThe big news for me is that my tinnitus has been reduced so much that I can't even perceive the ringing any longer.
Wendell...I am thrilled that they work for you, especially the news about your tinnitus has been beaten back!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Wonderful news Wendell! I was so pleased how you mentioned your tinnitus being remedied.

Great news. Enjoy your audible upgrade!

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Good news Wendell, I'm sure that you will get used to it and won't even notice that you have it on.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

That's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous!

Gene

Post by Gene »

I was going to comment that now Wendell will probably be able to hear the sheep milling about in his shave den as he uses his beloved Fat...
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
druphus

Post by druphus »

What a great start Wendell!
Regards,
Andy
function

Post by function »

Did anybody tell you to use earplugs when you were a teenager?

They told me too, at 29, after years of drumming, firearms and concerts, I know I'm headed down a similar path. Nice to know that modern technology can help.

Glad to hear you are comfortable again.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Great news, Wendell! I still don't understand how the devices reduce tinnitis, but the good news is that they do. That's a valuable little bit of information.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Very good news, Wendell! I do hope that all goes well for you.
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on all the comments from the gents that have already posted.

985 thumbs up!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A word about tinnitus reduction -- the best way to fight tinnitus, as any of you who suffer from it will know, is to mask it - usually with some sort of white noise. My hearing devices work in a way that creates something of a mask effect by amplifying certain white noise register sounds in a way that reduces the ringing significantly. It doesn't entirely disappear, but boy-howdy it is reduced so mach that I only notice very mild ringing if I try to pay close attention in silent surroundings. Apparently many hearing devices are including this feature now - Widex being one of the more popular brands that are at the forefront of this specific technology. I didn't go with Widex as they were still quite a ways behind in bluetooth technology - and that was important to me.

My first day at the office has been interesting so far. A bit echo-y and still somewhat tinny, but that's also due to the fact that I haven't heard all my consonants in many years. It's been epiphany-like to realize that people do indeed say their "s's" at the end of words -- a miracle to my ears.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Atta-person, Wendell!

As someone who suffered from tinnitus as a child (I'd ask my mother "do you hear that?" and she'd look at me like I was crazy), I can understand the feeling you have when it finally goes away. Its sort of like someone standing on your toe: it feels a lot better after it stops!

FWIW I masked my tinnitus by taking up a musical instrument and training my brain to mask out unwanted sounds, much as you describe. I still get a flare-up every now and then, but nothing like it used to be.

I'm very happy to hear (ahem) you're finding relief!

--Mark
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

My dear Sir,

I am truly happy for you.

Wonderful news, simply wonderful !

Cheers.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by Seamaster »

I'll be following this thread with interest.

I'm 36 and have been hard of hearing - and suffered severe tinnitus - since childhood. The latter, I have simply learned to live with. The former, I have tried to arrest, if not reverse, with surgery (most recently bilateral tympanoplasty).

I recently admitted defeat and bought a hearing aid for occasional use. But I didn't pay anything like a fortune for it, and it works great. I got it from these guys who are trying to bust open the hearing aid business in the UK:

www.hearingdirect.com

Best £99 I've ever spent.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Hurray! Great news!
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Great news, Wendell! Let's hope you get used to them super-fast.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I have some hearing loss in the upper ranges---from many unprotected years in a machine shop. My tinnitus is mild and it only bothers me when I think about it---like trying to sleep when I'm not sleepy. I have been considering hearing aids but they are very expensive. If you don't mind my asking, which company did you go with?
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.