Watches????

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Watches????

Post by blackgrass »

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of you that are watch collectors here on the forum and I have a few questions.
I have always wanted an old WWII military style watch. I have been looking at ebay and it looks like you can pick them up fairly cheaply. One guy in particular looks like he really gives them a going over and replaces gaskets and any parts that are worn out. I know by doing this is affects some of the collector value. I'm looking at them more along the lines of wearing it daily and not really concerned with having a "collector piece". I have seen several different brands. My grandfather fought in WWII and he wore a Bulova so it might be nice to find something similar. Are there any brands that you guys think might be better than others? Most of the ones I have seen are manuel wind and have anywhere from 15-17 jewels.

Also, the band sizes on the ones I have seen are a 16mm. I have a buddy that has one that is 16mm and it sort of looks a little small on me but I have been wearing a Tag Heuer and a Casio G-shock so my frame of reference might be a little skewed. What do you think about band sizes? Is 16mm going to look like a ladies watch on me?

Anybody have any good suggestions besides ebay where I might look? I'm hoping to pay no more than $30 or so. Most of the ones on ebay seen to be going for $20-30.