Kindle book reader

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Andrew

Kindle book reader

Post by Andrew »

I am considering purchasing the Kindle book reader. Living in France makes it difficult to purchase books in english due to availability and price.
The kindle might solve my problem.
Any comments or suggestions concerning the kindle?????

Thanks
nolawis

Kindle

Post by nolawis »

I really enjoy mine. I was used to it in about an hour. Very easy on the eyes too. I've read about 30 books on mine. The browser is nothing to write home about and the newspapers are hit or miss. But if your primary focus is books, I'd highly recommend it.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Andrew, in Europe the BeBook Neo has a better reputation than the Kindle. I recommend that you take a look at it before you spend your money.

You might also consider the PocketBook 360 which has an excellent reputation.

PS - There are many French posters on the mobileread.com forums. I'm sure they would be happy to give you their opinions.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Why not pay a little more and get an iPad? It has a whole lot more functionality and a backlit screen, which means you can read in bed and not disturb your spouse. I've never understood why Kindles don't have lighted screens. Seems like that's a big reason to buy a reader.
Jim
nolawis

Post by nolawis »

Because lighted screens cause much more eye fatigue. The Kindle is similar to reading a book. The reader provides the light source of his or her choice.

As for the Kindle versus the iPad, I think that is just personal preference. I was playing with one the other day and it's like my iPhone, except that it needs wi-fi, it's heavy and really shiny, and its still a little buggy.

I'll keep on with the Kindle as far as books go. I read very few books with illustrations and I like the idea of not having to pay a monthly fee for wireless. As I said in my first post, there is no comparison when it comes to surfing the web, etc....but I have a really light MacBook and an iPhone for that, unless I'm at home or in the office, where there are computers aplenty.

To each his own. I'm sure that iPads will make a nice splash and I may try one out at some point. But not now. It's still the shakedown cruise and as a multiple Apple product owner, I have learned not to be the first guy to jump in the pool.

Nw
Fair winds and following seas.
mmortus

Post by mmortus »

I have an Apple iTouch and use the Kindle app, works great. Downloads books very quickly, and is comfortable to use for extend periods of time. The nice thing is you can do a lot more with an iPhone, iTouch, iPad, opposed to just read on the Kindle. It’s just like shaving though, preference.
Regards,
Matt
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Kyle, the iPad (and all backlit screens) cannot be read outdoors. Folks who like to read on the back deck or by the pool or at the beach cannot use it there.

Because Andrew is in France, I suggested only eInk devices. Here in the US, I would recommend as the best value the devices with TFT screens, such as the jetBook Lite (which I have) or the Aluratek Libre.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have the Kindle DX and it is an excellent reader. There is a huge amount of content available, much of it free or near free. The type size and column width are adjustable and downloads are simple and fast. I even like reading newspapers on it. Yes, you can't get the comics, crosswords, or good pictures (the Kindle newspaper pictures are infrequent and dismal), but it is much easier to read than a print newspaper, with good indexing and no need to skip from one page to another or from one section to another. I have a print subscription to the New York Times and a Kindle subscription to the Washington Post. I would guess that I spend more time reading the Post than the Times, not because the Post is a better paper (and I don't think it is), but because it is just easier to read.

Ken
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Everyone Thanks for the great advice :D

I still have a stack of books to read but I believe I am inching towards the Kindle.

GA thanks for the info I will look into the Bebook

Andy
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

The Kindle is a dead platform walking.

Wait for the iPad.
texasPI
Inspector of Beards

Post by texasPI »

Seamaster wrote:The Kindle is a dead platform walking.

Wait for the iPad.
Doubtful. The iPad is a jack of all trades and master of none. The kindle is purpose built for this.
Erik

"Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt,
and dance like no one is watching."
Aurora Greenway
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like reading books - I know, I know - with a device I can carry around 100s of books, can access the libraries of the world and have any information I want at my fingertips.

I still like reading books - nothing beats sitting on the beach with a great book to enjoy. Safer too - I have seen plenty of Kindles, Sony eReaders, etc. get trashed because they got dropped in the sand, stepped on, etc.

Yup - I'll stick with a book for now, I think. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

jww wrote:I have seen plenty of Kindles, Sony eReaders, etc. get trashed because they got dropped in the sand...
The recommendation when taking it to the beach or by the pool where there is sand or water is to put it in a freezer zip lock bag. Apparently there is no problem reading through the bag, and no problem pushing the buttons.

I have read (completed) eleven books on my jetBook Lite since Christmas. However, this week I have been reading a hardcopy of Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine, and I will admit that I enjoyed as a change of pace reading the pulp digest. So for this week, I enjoyed both the content and the medium.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Stingraysrock

Post by Stingraysrock »

If you are wanting an E-Book reader... look into the Sony E-Reader.. You don't have the issues of a proprietary system like the Kindle..and all an E-Reader is for is reading E-Books anyway...so...either stick with paper books or get a Sony...IMHO....Cheers
In The Spirit Of Clive's Thread; Please Call Me Jeff!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I used to make all the above arguments against an e-reader. Then I bought one and I'll never go back.
Richard
Rob

Post by Rob »

Richard, which reader did you end up buying?

Edit: Found a previous thread on this where you said you got a Sony Reader PRS-505. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 949#474949