Cufflink recommendations

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
PACHUCO

Cufflink recommendations

Post by PACHUCO »

Gentlemen, I want to purchase a set of cufflinks for my upcoming wedding. I've tried doing a bit of research but there are so many options I'm lost. Preferably purple incorporated somehow would be nice, or silver/stainless in color. I'd like to keep it under $50 but may be willing to go up to $100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Serg
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

try thomas pink. they have cloth/textured cufflinks for around $40. I have red and light blue
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Serg,

You may want to try looking at Macy's. I've had good luck there for cufflinks. I've also gotten a lot of mine from antique stores, You can find great cufflinks at great prices.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

www.kentwang.com Kent has many old art glass cufflinks, a inexpensive silver knot and (hopefully) will restock very simple double sided argentium silver links in square and oval. Kent is good people.
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Thank you gentlemen. I'll look into these.

Serg
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Serge, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I only purchase antique cufflinks. Check out rubylane.com. You may find something you like in your price range.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Austin wrote:Serge, congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I only purchase antique cufflinks. Check out rubylane.com. You may find something you like in your price range.
Serge, this is a great website for antique cufflinks. Antique cufflinks are almost all I wear. I went to this website and man, do I love it! Thanks, Austin!

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

St. Justin's jewelry from Cornwall make some fabulous celtic design cufflinks. They have various styles and are well made. My wife recently gave me a pair of Lugh's knot t-bar cufflinks, and they are very nice.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

kum a part. you can find them all over ebay. very snappy.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Some really great cufflinks in the Ben Silver collection.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Leisureguy wrote:Some really great cufflinks in the Ben Silver collection.
I have never seen these before - while a tad on the pricey side, they are indeed very classy looking. I have a pair of inexpensive 1938 Liberty Nickel cuff links which I really like as well - they make a great statement when I am all decked out in my formal IBM BlueWear for work (dark blue hint-of-a-pinstripe suit, white french cuffed shirt with windsor collar and one of my regimental striped ties) - they are great conversation starters with clients - especially being a Canadian. :wink:
Wendell

KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

You state purple as a colour preference. Is this the colour of your suit?
Style details won't make or break this day, but avoid looking like a promo for grape juice.
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

The color scheme of the wedding is purple. For the groom that is usually the tie, vest (if worn), etc. I was going to purchase a black suit with charcoal pinstripe, but as the wedding is becoming an ever evolving beast I am going to forgo the suit and wear a Irish linen guayabera. I'm still looking at cufflinks, but those will be for use at a different time. I really like the Mother of Pearl ones on the website you mentioned KAV. I hope I don't develop another AD. :lol: I also purchased a Panama hat from Panama Bob (Montecristi Ecuador blocked Medio Fino) ...I'm already considering getting another one (Cuenca and cheaper) for daily use. :D Thanks for the recommendation Sam.

Serg
KAV

Post by KAV »

I have 14 pair of cufflinks. This is a bit silly considering in my present financial sitaution I have all of ONE quality french cuff shirt :oops:
There are endless choices and even a collector's society. The most elegant are double faced connected by chain or bar links. Then you have
those connected by arched solid bars connected to a 'bean or smaller plate, older ones with a mere push through button and finally the contemporary togglebacks. Bringing up the rear are silk knots and unmentionable are the huge mesh wraparounds best left to disco revivals.
In a class by themselves are the snap together 'kum-apart' buttons in art deco colours made of celluloid or enamel. These remind me of Sam Spade and a film Noir night in San Francisco with evening fog.
I just surrendered a pair of vintage mexican silver links with jingle bobs and chains. My Amansadore HEARD me wearing them to his niece's Quincinada. Took one look and explained I had a rare pair of Californio links made by a famous bitmaker. Seeing as he owns 9 of the maker's spade bits I just took them off on the spot :roll:
function

Post by function »

KAV wrote: Bringing up the rear are silk knots
Don't those just come with the shirt to show the user is supposed to have cufflinks? They have on a couple of my shirts.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
KAV

Post by KAV »

I know one shirtmaker includes a really cheap potmetal cufflink in one cuff along with the hundreds of pins. I knew a guy who TOOK an extra one from another shirt over the clerk's protest :roll:
Silk links, and even these can be cheapened with polyester , can be fun for more casual affairs. I have a pair in red,white and blue for Bastille Day, 4th of July and the Queen's birthday.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I also have a couple of pairs of the silk knots -- and they do make an interesting statement.
Wendell