I think I figured out why this forum is here

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
function

I think I figured out why this forum is here

Post by function »

As you can tell by my join date, I'm a relative newbie, not just to the forum, but to wetshaving/DE shaving in general. I came by this forum in my early search for knowledge of the topic, and found a pleasant place. Personally I am no stranger to internet forums, and am actually a member of a forum composed almost entirely of members who were booted from another forum for being, as we so delicately put it, a$$clowns.
But I digress. I found m way here, to a forum of decent size, and solid knowledge. The number of frequent and regular contributors o significant information is pretty steady, and there is logical discussion among a larger number, all seem to be willing to provide sound advice and support.
Now onto another forum, name is irrelevant, lets just say it is an larger cousin. I joined that forum as well, and have found there to be a proportionate number of contributors(yes more, but more members as well) and some good discussion. Alas this forum features something unpleasant, and that is the desire by many to give a general "that is crap" attitude to a number of things just because they want to. There are posts regularly bashing a product not because of poor quality or bad reputation, but just because they don't like it. Moreso, there are posts bashing others and calling them dumb among other things, and in these posts are spelling or grammatical errors.
Maybe I am climbing on a high horse here, I am a college graduate and do not frequently socially associate with a large number of people who are not, I also came from an area with well-regarded primary education.
My point is I have felt, on a number of recent occasions, the desire to simply open up on posters on the unnamed board for bashing any person, place or thing without use of a logical argument to prove their point. I choose to restrain myself, and come back to this board to find a discourse that does not make me want to abandon civility. I cannot say I am perfect in my actions, I still let myself make a joke at the expense of another, but I do my best to make the point that my actions are not personal or malicious.
In light of all of this, I'd just like to say thanks SMF, for being a decent place, and I'll try not to screw it up.
Last edited by function on Sat May 15, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
95%

Post by 95% »

Yes, this is a very friendly place. It's particularly unusual for a men's forum in that competitiveness is downplayed. Testosterone doesn't rule. Instead, we talk among ourselves with as much restraint and respect as if we were holding a live conversation in real space. That's a rare thing in cyberspace, at least in my experience.
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Higher education is not by rote hand in glove with gentility.
A recent work 'Everything I know I learned in Kindergarden'
seems to have been bypassed by many online heroes. Perhaps they were homeschooled by the family pitbull?
prism

Post by prism »

Hope you continue to enjoy your stay here Nick. As for the other forum, why bother? If they flame each other, that's their business. SMF offers a civil and relaxed atmosphere. That's one of the reasons I come here; I find it very relaxing. And rewarding - the breadth of experience and knowledge is amazing. Finally, there is a certain espirit de corps present that I have not found in any other forum.
Make Mine Menthol! Vic
King-D

Post by King-D »

For me, this forum is an enjoyable escape from the toils of life. A tip of the hat to the moderators, who keep it civil.
David

Shave in the shower!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I dunno. I hate everybody here. :lol:

It's a combination of ( a ) mostly good people to begin with and ( b ) great moderators - ones who actually enjoy the place, who do their job well, and who have sufficient perspective to not let the "power" of being a moderator on a shaving discussion group go to their heads.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

smf rocks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Thank you for your kind comments (I can't imagine where else you have been hanging out! :roll: ) We try to be a gentleman's club, rather than a roadhouse on Stripper Friday. Each has their place and, blessedly, we can choose for ourselves.

Chris
Roll on next Friday!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I'm glad you are here.
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

The gentlemanly conduct in general is the biggest reason I check in here every day. I love the fact that the most prevalent attitude here is "YMMV" and "use what works for you." No one gets flamed because they choose to use and enjoy a product that other people don't like. Sure there is good-natured ribbing, but what friendship among men doesn't have this?

Overall, SMF is, in my opinion, a great place to converse with a bunch of fine gentlemen.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
mpisarcik

Post by mpisarcik »

SMF is in my opinion the most laid back, friendly forum that I've taken part in. Thanks for making it possible gentlemen!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I am a MODERATOR!!....I have the POWER!!....me and Bargepole!...mwhahahaha!! ( cough, wheeze. gurggling sounds )....eh?...oh....my Shadow again?....sorry.

Well, we try. The idea, from the start, and carrying over from the old Wetshavers forum, was that this would be more of a 'gentlemen's club' sort of affair, and the admins. and most of the moderators we've had have worked to maintain that. And frankly, sometimes it's not been that easy, so, the kind words above are much appreicated.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i gotta chime in here. i agree whole heartedly.. i have and do spend time at forums (not any about shaving) and i see the other side nick is talking about.. generally speaking forums are ok but there is power struggles and some bashing...

but this is my home... i feel i personally know you guys, i realize i dont,
but my feelings do...

hope we are all together a long time...and smf remains as is

marc
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Admittedly useless comment deleted.
Last edited by kronos9 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

After my daughter discovered this forum, SMF was the first shaving forum for me, as I was disappointed with the other forums, not shaving related, where conflict was common, and only succeeded in making me feel badly when I logged on, and that sucks.

There's one unique thing about SMF, among many, but the one thing I'm usually surprised by is the number of guys who have been members for several years, not regular posters, by any means, but it's obvious they are actively following and reading, just not posting much.

What that means, to me at least, is the depth of maturity that runs quietly as an undercurrent on SMF. We're not alone, we're a part of a group of guys that "get it", and are here like silent sentries, just watching and caring and listening, ready to interact but never in a negative way.

The effect, in my opinion, is that when I do decide to post something, I have to stop and think a bit first, because I have a growing respect for the others, and hope that the quality of my posts, over time, has matured a bit from the brash and blundering youth that I once was, figuratively speaking of course. :lol:

So when I post something, I am hoping that in return, I'll be able to learn something as a result of any responses that might be provided.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Marlborough

SMF

Post by Marlborough »

Indeed, this is a refreshing place to both learn and contribute. For those of us who have much to learn, it is a place of patience and understanding that men are not born with a knowledge of wet shaving. Long gone are the days of father and son discussing the finer art of applying a finely honed blade to the beard.
Please keep contributing..You are much appreciated.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

aircraft_electrician wrote:I love the fact that the most prevalent attitude here is "YMMV" and "use what works for you."
This extends beyond shaving products and into most areas of life. Gentlemen - and that word is important - can talk about a lot of things here, and it usually turns out pretty well (even when there are disagreements).
Regards,
Mike
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

drmoss_ca wrote:We try to be a gentleman's club, rather than a roadhouse on Stripper Friday.
Aww Jeez.... four years of posting down the drain! :wink:
~Greg
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I can't believe I've posted more here than on my spaceflight forum. Then again:

Shaves: just about every day
Trips into space: 0
Quality shave goods: numbers in the dozens
Space suits: 0
Understanding what's being discussed - SMF: approx. 90%
Understanding what's being discussed - sf: approx. 10%
Tested products - SMF: numbers in the dozens
Tested products - sf: Tang; aviator sunglasses; big honkin' pilot's watch
Ron
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

rsp1202 wrote:I can't believe I've posted more here than on my spaceflight forum. Then again:

Shaves: just about every day
Trips into space: 0
Quality shave goods: numbers in the dozens
Space suits: 0
Understanding what's being discussed - SMF: approx. 90%
Understanding what's being discussed - sf: approx. 10%
Tested products - SMF: numbers in the dozens
Tested products - sf: Tang; aviator sunglasses; big honkin' pilot's watch
Post of the Week Award!

Thanks for the laugh (and insight).
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman