Comments on knives

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Kav, I paypalled a guy $25 for a new Persistence. a 2.75 inch blade and a typical Sypderco. They say the steel is one more apt to resist corrosion and easier to keep sharo and stay sharp. I figured the $15 I would save over a used native could go to the Mini Grip, which I love the opening system, and so I am putting my Leopard knife I got in a trade up for sale. I can then see which I prefer and if I hate both, sell them or keep them.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Funny this thread came up. Just the other night I bought the little ProTech Stinger 401 http://www.protechknives.com/knives/swi ... knives.asp

And then without any warning to myself, I *impulse bought* ...... the Microtech Halo V http://www.arizonaCustomKnives.com/products/?id=12330

Don't worry though KAV, I don't have any camping trips planned any time soon. I'll have to recover from this before I can go buying a new sleeping bag.

I really like these video reviews of the knives respectively,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yosw222pWc8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8CxqUJ-ko
Janus

Post by Janus »

Swedish steel is excellent, but their knives ... meh

I prefer something hand made in Finland. I have one very much like this one (not by this maker though, the one that made my knife passed away in the 1970's).

http://www.tommipuukko.com/arkitommi.htm

If you are interested, Kellamknives.com seems to have something along those lines. Just steer clear of those ridiculously long bladed things, they are for tourists only.
Janus
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Sam, I quit carrying a knife when places like the courthouse installed metal detectors and kept people out for even a small Swiss Army penknife. I would imagine the situation in Memphis is the same?
Jim
MR.Z

Post by MR.Z »

Sam,
If are really serious about finding a very high quality knife contact A.G. Russell Knives. Their web site is http://www.agrussell.com. Their phone number is 800-255-9034 to order a catalog. There you will find knives such as the "William Henry" line. A 3" knife can cost about $525.00. Less expensive knives are also available as well as their own manufactured products. I suggest a "Boker" with a Damascus blade. The catalog gives you every detail including the type of steal, the hardness Rc rating, the bolster material, the liners, etc.
Don't be afraid to look even if you want something less expensive. They have knives starting at $20.00.
Good Hunting.....
Irv
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Janus,
My carry knife is a Issaaki Jarvenppa puukko. Of course in the north woods I carry a Hudson's Bay axe, bow saw and Shrade pocketknife.
People buy guns,cars and knives before asking: How and where am I driving, what am I shooting and what am I cutting.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Yup. Remember those "survival" knives that were in fashion a few years back? :lol: Probably mostly bought by people whose closest contact with nature was driving on a dirt road occasionally. Still, I guess they served a purpose of some sort, giving them some confidence, albeit false.
Janus
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Me too Jim, It's such a hassle I even quit wearing a watch.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

In reaction to this thread I have been looking online at knives (with no real intention of buying).

Many of the knives available are very special and very interesting. I don't do special interesting things with a knife - I do ordinary things - so for me the best knife is small-to-medium and without special characteristics. But after looking at all that pretty steel, and the blades getting fancier and bigger as you go down the list, a person gets itchy. :lol:

I have concluded that most of the top-line knives being produced are specially designed for slicing money out of customers' wallets without them feeling it. :lol: Not to disparage the skill and dedication of the masters who make some of these beautiful and functional works of art - just that I'll leave those special knives to people who can actually make good use of them.

For a guy like me, once you have a knife that's well made, takes & keeps a good edge, and is convenient for its intended purposes, how much more can you ask? Yeah, OK, better question: how much more should you ask?
rgc

Post by rgc »

On ebay there is a store, Scandinavian Treasures, that sells Woodsknife by a maker named Harri Merimaa. These puukko knives look well made and affordable. Just thought I would mention it as I too believe a puukko is one of the best knives to have on you in the wilderness.

rgc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

NTS, If you scratch that itch buy a Grohmann-Russell. It tends to dull a little to quickly but is easy to resharpen. The sheath is terrible but I can connect you with a canadian maker of kydex sheaths. It is in fact, a award winning for design excellence CANADIAN knife made in Pictou. Many older knife patterns, like the scandinavian and latin American machetes are regional specific. Many instill confidence beyond practicallity like the KABAR. I believe canadians should own at least one canadian knife. To do do anything else is unamerican.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

KAV wrote:To do do anything else is unamerican.
:lol:
Janus

Post by Janus »

notthesharpest wrote: For a guy like me, once you have a knife that's well made, takes & keeps a good edge, and is convenient for its intended purposes, how much more can you ask?
That should do. Pick one and learn how to use it. The best knife for the task at hand is the one you've got with you.
Janus
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Sam,
I own and used to carry a variety of different knives for different reasons. The knives you were considering on your first post will do well for you, either the Benchmade or the Spyderco. Personally I lean toward the Benchmade, but both are excellent quality knives.
Now, if you're looking for something beside just basic utility, then there are a lot more ways to branch out.
Still, I agree with the posts above; the best knife is the one you have on you.

I typically carry a multitool these days, but sometimes a Benchmade AutoStryker, which is just an automatic version of the regular one. Mine was issued to me free....

When they were still made in the US I was partial to the cheap and readily available "Old Timer" brand knives made by Schrade. Very useful, and nonthreatening. Now they are Chinese manufacture and IMHO may or may not be as good as they once were..

John P.
JimT

Post by JimT »

Interesting.

No mention of Case knives? I also second the Boker recommendation.

I also agree with John P on the Schrade if made in USA. I also have a Schrade Walden if you could find one used......

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
Blades

Re: Comments on knives

Post by Blades »

Sam wrote: I really like the feel and locking system of the Mini Grip. THe Delica comes in second but that spyder hole makes it more curved when close.
If that's what you like, get the Mini-Grip. Benchmade makes a fine product, and so do Spyderco and Kershaw.
I am partial to Spyderco myself.

Jason
KAV

Post by KAV »

Shrade Cutlery and Camillus were USA made companies based in New York. Camillus was the production source for many knves, including many of COLD STEELS, SHRADE was well respected for hiring people with physical or social disabilities, training them and outsourcing to other related industries.
WALMART and SEARS pressured these two makers to reduce cost, walley speak for outsourcing to mainland,communist China and the People's Army owned factories. They refused and were suddenly hit by strikes. Both went bankrupt.
All the strikers became unemployed. The name SHRADE and it's patterns were sold and are made in the PRC, marketted at WOEMART and SNEARS at cheaper prices. And they are JUNK.
It would be more honest to buy a chicom AK 47 bayonet.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Cold Steel, once upon a time, were also made in Japan. But yeah, a lot of good knife companies are gone. Fiskars owns Gerber, too, and their stuff is pretty awful now.

- Will
KAV

Post by KAV »

COLD STEEL is just up the coast. I've met the owner- 'interesting guy.'
There has been a reduction in companies much like other industries with more companies than a customer base. The interesting part is seeing the illogical die off of some great makers and the flourishing of junk.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Jim, I have a couple of Case pocket knives that are used mostly to open mail, packages and stuff. Have a locally made Bowie gifted from a friend that we keep on top of the office frig and use as an ice pick.

Funny story about that Bowie. E got engaged and had the boy come by to pick her up and meet me. In my private office he noticed the antique pistol lying on the credenza and the old shotgun used as a door stop. I yell for Little Bit to bring us a drink and hear her whacking at the ice while we talk. She brings me my usual and asked what they wanted all the while holding this Bowie which is almost half as long as her little arm. His eyes are getting big and the boy found pressing reasons to leave. E sent us all some funny text messages about the following conversation and the office manager arrived the next morning singing "Guns, pistols and knives, OH MY!"

My life is defined by women, the ones I've married and those who ain't.
Regards,
Squire