tony curtis ?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

tony curtis ?

Post by fallingwickets »

In my becks induced memory The persuaders with tony curtis and roger moore was a GREAT show, but reading about tony curtis in the newspapers today they make it seem as though the series was a bit of a flop.

If any of you gents remember the show i would appreciate your comments....IE thumbs up or down on the series

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Julius_Rodman

Re: tony curtis ?

Post by Julius_Rodman »

fallingwickets wrote:In my becks induced memory The persuaders with tony curtis and roger moore was a GREAT show, but reading about tony curtis in the newspapers today they make it seem as though the series was a bit of a flop.

If any of you gents remember the show i would appreciate your comments....IE thumbs up or down on the series

clive

his cameo on the Flintstones as Wilma's slave boy was cool

----------------------

Kent
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm a big fan of The Avengers (Emma Peel years), The Saint, The Prisoner etc., in comparison, I'm afraid the Persuaders was a flop... the chemistry wasn't there and seemed forced...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I loved the Persuaders at the time, as a kid. I haven't seen it since though, so I can't really comment other than in nostalgia mode. (I do have the theme music on my iPod. . . :lol: )
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'm afraid both gentlemen were phoning it in. The improv dialogue was excruciating to listen to, and some of the plots rehashed from old Saint shows. Other than that, bitchin'.
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I remember the show from my last year in high school. Wikipedia has a nice write up. It was near the end of a genre including Man From U.N.C.L.E. ( anyone recall what the letters stand for?) Dangerman, The Avengers, Mission Impossible and a lot of factors played into it's success.
The pilot episode was fun.
More important, given current teevee's genres I would gladly watch all 12 episodes again.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The Saint, The Prisoner etc., in comparison
I guess that's where it must come from because we didnt get tv until about 1976-77 (for the first few years it was on in english only 2 hours a night out of 4) and so there wasn't much to compare to.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

KAV wrote:. . . including Man From U.N.C.L.E. ( anyone recall what the letters stand for?) . . .
United Network Command for Law and Enforcement. Battling the evil forces of THRUSH, for as many seasons as the sponsors would put out. Loved the first two. I dressed like Illya, back then; Mr. Waverly, now.

p.s. To Tony: you'll always be the Great Leslie.
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I still had my secret agent radio that converted to a carbine until it became to valuable to keep. I was in Las Vegas, dropped into a gunstore and recognised the former owner from a store back home! He was known for being a bit loose with regulations.
He always had some interesting stuff. That time I came home with a T.V. prop silencer from M.F.U. It was actually a neat design that allowed a P 38 Walther to cycle 3 in 1 blanks.
Just about downtown L.A. there is a black and white mural of Tony on the freeway. That, his star and anothr mural on a tourist trap store on Hollywood BLVD are it as memory of his work. Hopefully TEEVEE will run SOME LIKE IT HOT soon.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Some Like It Hot -- classic. We have it on DVD -- and I love it - even if it is a tad long.

I also always got a kick out of his Stoney Curtis cameo in the Flintstones -- ah yes, long before the Simpsons, there were The Flintstones. "Oh slave-boy!!"

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

I go back a lot farther than you guys. I swear I saw the King Arthur-style movie in the early 1950's, in which he actually said "Yonda lies da castle of my fahda."
Porter
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Probably "The Black Shield of Falworth." I'm sure he held his role in the same esteem that Paul Newman did in "The Silver Chalice," or John Wayne when he portrayed Genghis Khan. :oops: But he redeemed himself in "The Vikings," and so many more.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I dunno -- I still like the slave boy slant on the flintstones --- classic cameos with heart I tell ya.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
malocchio

good guy

Post by malocchio »

he was good,and you guys are right,the vikings and some like it hot were great..
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

rsp1202 wrote:p.s. To Tony: you'll always be the Great Leslie.
Truth.
~Greg
IanM

Post by IanM »

I remember The Persuaders. I was very young (single figures) and liked it. Perhaps that's a reflection of it's quality. Probably my strongest Tony Curtis memory.

I suspect that if I watched an episode now, I would think that it was awful.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

95% wrote:I go back a lot farther than you guys. I swear I saw the King Arthur-style movie in the early 1950's, in which he actually said "Yonda lies da castle of my fahda."
Funny. Just caught that same line from documentary on Monty Python told by mr. Eric Idle.

The Persuaders had the best theme music ever.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I had dinner with Tony Curtis and six other people about 20 years ago at the Sutton Place Hotel in Toronto. He was exhibiting a few of his oil paintings, which were mainly of cats. It was a good evening and he was quite talkative.
ExecAccess

Post by ExecAccess »

IanM wrote:I remember The Persuaders. I was very young (single figures) and liked it. Perhaps that's a reflection of it's quality. Probably my strongest Tony Curtis memory.

Ian
I am with you. Loved it at the time, but wouldn't want to watch it now and spoil my memories. Did that with Beverly Hillbillies :(
www.executiveaccessories.com.au - mens fashion accessories and skin care online in Australia.
ExecAccess

Post by ExecAccess »

ExecAccess wrote:
IanM wrote:I remember The Persuaders. I was very young (single figures) and liked it. Perhaps that's a reflection of it's quality. Probably my strongest Tony Curtis memory.

Ian
I am with you. Loved it at the time, but wouldn't want to watch it now and spoil my memories. Did that with Beverly Hillbillies :(
Ooops, did I really admit to that in print?!
www.executiveaccessories.com.au - mens fashion accessories and skin care online in Australia.