What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
mikey

Re: What are you reading?

Post by mikey »

Finished William Forstchen's One Second After.

Started John Grisham's Sycamore Row.

Thanks,
Mike
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just finished Jules Verne "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" (again).

Just picked up H.G. Wells "The Island of Doctor Moreau". I don't believe I read this before.
~Jeff

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Flying to Calgary today, about 4.5 hours flying time. Taking along "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling to while away the time; one of my all time favourite books.
Bryan
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I am currently reading Mark Twain's "Recollections of Joan of Arc". It is probably the best book that Mark Twain ever wrote and one of the best books I have ever read. I understand that he spent 10 years of his life researching her even though he was a devout atheist. I know that I am not going to like the ending. It is getting really close.

:(
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I just opened up The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Bret Witter and Robert M. Edsel. I picked it up on my Kobo back in the late summer last year on sale (think it was like $5 or something). I am enthralled -- the story telling is good, and the experience of this very unique band of brothers in war-torn Europe evokes great sympathy for the absolute devastation caused by the occupation and retreat of battle forces -- from both sides. The desperation these men had to deal with when working was unreal. The Allied forces just wanted to clean up and get home, and the retreating Axis troops were skimming off everything they could ...... quite a good read so far.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:I just opened up The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Bret Witter and Robert M. Edsel. I picked it up on my Kobo back in the late summer last year on sale (think it was like $5 or something). I am enthralled -- the story telling is good, and the experience of this very unique band of brothers in war-torn Europe evokes great sympathy for the absolute devastation caused by the occupation and retreat of battle forces -- from both sides. The desperation these men had to deal with when working was unreal. The Allied forces just wanted to clean up and get home, and the retreating Axis troops were skimming off everything they could ...... quite a good read so far.
The movie is very good too.
Bryan
Barry

Post by Barry »

brothers wrote:
Barry wrote:Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
Barry, I was curious about this book, and looked it up. It sounds like something I might appreciate, since the circumstances are familiar to me for the obvious reason. What did you think about this book?
Sorry for not responding to this until now.

I put it down for a while (it was hard to do, but I've been busy). I was enjoying it though and plan to start reading again this evening. The characters were quite real to me.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Barry. I'll put it on my list to read.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

Just finished reading a stack of dissertation proposals, so now on to the summer must-read list: East of Eden (ashamed to say I never read it); Zen in the Art of Archery (ditto); and Gone to Ground, a memoir of a Jewish woman who lived in Germany throughout WWII.

I would highly recommend Tinseltown by William Mann, a well researched study of the unsolved 1922 murder of William Desmond Taylor.

JT
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

"Dead Wake" by Erik Larson about the sinking of the Lusitania. Pretty good, so far.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

"See You at the Morgue" by Lawrence G. Blochmann, 1944
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

catching up with the rest of the world :) .......all the light we cannot see......anthony doerr

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

The last couple of days I've gone back to The Silent Sea.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just finished Nick Mason's 'Inside Out' - a history of Pink Floyd, and started on Nicholas Wade's 'A Troublesome Inheritance'.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Barry

Post by Barry »

The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life

Sheldon Solomon, Jeff Greenberg, Tom Pyszczynski

Terror management theory...
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm lucky to have time enough to read my periodicals to stay up to date. Most of that gets done on the Obama presidential library chair (and then I flush).
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Hard Way, Lee Child
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Suite Française by Irene Namirovsky
Gary

Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I am jumping back into Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell since an adaptaion is coming to BBC America.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition :shock:
de gustibus non est disputandum