What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: What are you reading?

Post by jww »

Thalay Sagar wrote:I am jumping back into Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell since an adaptaion is coming to BBC America.
We have seen both episodes and so far it's quite faithful to the book. Some people will miss the satire -- it's intended to be a send-up of the Victorian novels citing historical context of the 18th century. The scene on the beach with the horses is really well done, as is the rain ship blockade.

Eddie Marsan - who has been in a number of period series (Little Dorrit comes to mind first, but he's been in plenty others as well) does a fabulous job of Mr Norrell --- exactly as I picture him.

I noticed the price of the book on Kobobooks.com went up 42.50 Cdn the day after the series started in England.

I recently finished Monuments Men -- outstanding read. And am now trying a new author - Shirley McKay --- she writes the Hew Cullan series. More period English stuff. so far not bad at all. Shows real promise.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:Suite Française by Irene Namirovsky
I'm making good headway with this work. I am very appreciative of story she has written, knowing the background of the author.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin. I'm working my way through the books before I start watching the series.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I decided I should take a break from reading Suite Francaise and work on something else for a while. Nothing against SF of course, but the reality she writes about (France at the time of the German occupation, based on her own experiences) is intensely sobering to say the least.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bad Luck and Trouble, Lee Child.
Gary

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

E.H. Carr's What Is History? and Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Both at an appallingly slow rate.
Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pursuit of Honor by (the late) Vince Flynn. (2009)
Gary

The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Hitch 22: A Memoir by Christopher Hitchens
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mirage - Clive Cussler
Gary

Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Land's End: A Walk in Provincetown Michael Cunningham
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just finished Hue & Cry by Shirley McKay. It was so-so for me .... not bad, but not great. In my opinion, there are better medieval mysteries out there ..... Brother Cadfael being one such series.

Looking for my next read at the moment.
Wendell

Barry

Post by Barry »

Here goes:

Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo

We are Pirates by Daniel Handler

Firebreak by Donald Westlake (I love the Parker series)

and

The Readers' Advisory Guide to Mystery

Devil in White City Erik Larson

I've got several going at once. Some I'm skimming... (especially children's books) and I take notes. I'm a librarian so I familiarize myself with titles so I'm better able to provide readers' advisory services to our customers. There are some quick strategies that a lot of readers use but I do it with multiple new books that I see on our carts jot down notes and carry them in a notebook (or my iPhone). If someone comes looking for a book and we don't have what they want I try to make sure they leave with a book in hand. I feel good when customers like the books I pick out. One time a customer sent me a postcard from Egypt to say she was happy with the books I picked out. And I struggled to help her find something good. That just about made my month.

If you're looking for new books find out if your public library has the Novelist database. It's great and I use it from time to time. On one occasion I gave a 7 year old a quick demo and he just about freaked out and physically pushed me away from the computer so he could use it.

At one time I had full access to Books in Print. Now that was cool!
brothers

Post by brothers »

My daughter has Harper Lee's second book, and she loaned it to me in case I get in the mood to start reading it. To be honest I probably won't read it any time soon. I read to rest and escape, certainly not to punish myself for various global and historic depressing and painful societal realities. I'll probably wait and read a couple of paragraphs of someone else's review, if anything ----

PS: I never read her first book, something about a mockingbird. I did see most of the movie on TV about 25 years ago. What can I say --- (shrug).
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now reading Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:My daughter has Harper Lee's second book, and she loaned it to me in case I get in the mood to start reading it. To be honest I probably won't read it any time soon. I read to rest and escape, certainly not to punish myself for various global and historic depressing and painful societal realities. I'll probably wait and read a couple of paragraphs of someone else's review, if anything ----

PS: I never read her first book, something about a mockingbird. I did see most of the movie on TV about 25 years ago. What can I say --- (shrug).
After having read some of the synopsis and reviews, I have decided to let the memory of Atticus rest contentedly in my mind --- rather ignorant in my bliss.
Wendell

mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

Just finished Ozzie Osborne's biography, what an amazing read, as the guys says himself, how is he still alive?

Very funny book, more than a little shocking at times, but very very funny.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While deciding on my next read, I went back to the Arthur Trilogy I picked up about 10 years ago. Written by Kevin Crossley-Holland, it's a youth read, but quite enjoyable. Told in first-person, the life of the main character parallels that of the legend of King Arthur. Fun and very easy to read.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Stopped into a used book store on Saturday and ran across an intriguing volume, "Hemingway's Boat," about the author's life from age 35, when he bought his famed fishing boat "Pilar," until his death. I like the way the book is written so far. I like Hemingway, and I like boats, so I'm hoping it won't disappoint.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have never read any Hemmingway --- always intended to try it out, but never have gotten around to it ....... some day.
Wendell

Barry

Post by Barry »

One day while I was at the library I picked up a CD audiobook copy of Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea." I popped it into my CD player and the guy introducing the audiobook company started talking.... and then he began narrating the book. Although his voice was fine it didn't do the book justice.

Then I found a copy narrated by Donald Sutherland... much better!