What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Rufus »

“The Soapstone Birds of Great Zimbabwe” by Dr E. Matenga; it’s his PhD thesis.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finished LOTR last evening. I have been quite sick this past week and had been doing part-duty at work and getting in some reading and resting to get back to the land of the living. It's always a sad day when I finish this series -- not my top book, but one of my top 5 (when you consider all three volumes as a single book, that is).

Haven't decided what I'll pick up next. Fiction or non. My son recently gave me a book on the history of MI6 and while it's thick and heave, looks interesting. Might give that a go. Or maybe back to some PD James and Adam Dalgliesh.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Last night I finally finished Caliban's War, book 2 in the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey.

Just started Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the boundless sea, david abulafia
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

John Rose wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:35 pm Just started Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami.
I'm about 3/4 through it. Still not sure what the actual story is. :-s
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Still not sure what the actual story is.

ten thumbs up on your perseverance :)
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just finished Antony Beevor's Stalingrad, and started Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France. Then it will be The Mirror and The Light, Hilary Mantel's third book about Thomas Cromwell.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Just finished “Agent Running in the Field,” the latest by John LeCarré. Pretty good read.
Jim
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

fallingwickets wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:24 amten thumbs up on your perseverance :)
I consider it a flaw of moral character to not finish what an author has persevered to write.
I put one novel down in the middle (Under the Dome), and did not read anything in print for almost three years.

See https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... id/306868/

Then I got a Kobo e-reader and the first thing I did was to finish Under the Dome.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

jww wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:57 pmHaven't decided what I'll pick up next.
If you want to start into something long to kill time during the Current Difficulties, consider The Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny.
It's a collection of ten Spec Fic novels, covering two major story arcs, all in the same "universe".
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that you mention all of this newly acquired time on our hands, I'll probably start something by Brad Thor and/or Clive Cussler. Charged up the Kindle battery, just in case. Oh, and maybe a good LeCarre book.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

My wife and suspected that our local library branch would close due to the quarantining processes, so we went and checked out a couple dozen novels. Sure enough, the next day the library closed for at least 6 weeks, probably longer; but we have lots of reading material. I am starting Mageborn: The Archmage Unbound, a sword-and-sorcery fantasy by Michael Manning. It will be as good as anything to take my mind temporarily off the woes of the world.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Picked up Shroud for a Nightingale for probably the 7th or 8th time and then when I finished that read The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. The former is a typical Adam Dalgliesh mystery - with the inspector's character continuing the slow peel of the onion (you need to start at the very beginning of the series to appreciate how good a writer P.D. James was). The latter I picked up cheap on Kobo ($2.99 CAD) and was recommended by our middle son and his wife - the story was quite good, but there was zero character building. I actually figured out the basis of the story about half way through the book. I enjoyed it quite for what it is - an intricate story with plenty of twists.
Wendell

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, also by Haruki Murakami.
TRBeck wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 pm At present I am reading Fahrenheit 451 since I'm teaching it to my sophomore students.
Do you have it memorized yet?
BTW - Kudos to you for italicizing book titles instead of using quotes.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

John, not yet, but I'm working on it. :D
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, thanks for keeping me on the correct path.🙄 Your post reminds me of something my English teacher wrote in the corner of my homework a very long time ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Dam Busters - The True Story of the Inventors and Airmen Who Led the Devastating Raid to Smash the German Dams in 1943 by James Holland. I've read a few other records of this amazing story and own the movie which I have watched countless of times. For me, it's one of the more compelling stories of WWII and I can't spend enough time learning about it. The difference between this and other books is that Holland was given access to new records which had recently been released. It's incredibly detailed and doesn't pose everyone as a hero, but seems to paint a picture of quiet confidence.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have it now but haven't started reading it yet. Looking forward to it.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I’ve just begun The Splendid and the Vile, Erik Larson’s account of Churchill and life in London during the Blitz. I’ve enjoyed several of his other books, and this one has been cited as having particular relevance during the age of coronavirus.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:02 am I’ve just begun The Splendid and the Vile, Erik Larson’s account of Churchill and life in London during the Blitz. I’ve enjoyed several of his other books, and this one has been cited as having particular relevance during the age of coronavirus.
I am a big fan and just heard the other day about Larson's new book. I'll be grabbing it for my Kobo before long.
Wendell