What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Last Lion Vol 3 continues to have me in a trance -- it's outstanding.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Have been reading two that just finished. A Reacher novel, Persuader, by Lee Child. Have read many Reacher stories and they always have been worth the time. What a mind these writers have, have tried to write a novel and been bored after 30-pages. LOL

About half way through the Lee Child book, started with a new writer for me, Robert Rothenberg, from Toronto. A legal thriller, The Guilty Plea, What if its not that easy?, Found very interesting until the end - did not like the ending, too predictable. Also found it interesting the difference in terminology, like the prosecutor is called the Crown, police procedure was a bit different also. This is his second book and have ordered his first, Old City Hall.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

raymond carver

ive been on a short story rampage lately :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

jww wrote:Last Lion Vol 3 continues to have me in a trance -- it's outstanding.
How does it compare to Manchester, Wendell?
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

trading bases...joe peta
russ and daughters....m r federman
escape from sobidor....richard rashke

needed something trivial and light to break up the sobidor read....russ and daughters did the trick!! In anyevent, all three books are good reads

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just finished Follow the Wind by Don Coldsmith, now I'm looking for something different, maybe something along the lines of a spy thriller, action adventure, something fun.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Ken Follett's Century Trilogy is a must-read for fans of historical fiction. I'm on #2, _Winter of the World_, and loving every page. I think 2014 or 2015 for the next installment.
Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oddly, I am also in the midst of Vol 3 of The Last Lion. It is often said that a biographer must like his subject, but must he like him so much? I prefer my WSC warts and all, including the aspects of his character that we should consider reprehensible. So far, this is more hagiography than biography.

Waiting on the bedside table are The World Until Yesterday/Jared Diamond (which I suspect will turn out to be A Book Too Far from the little sneak peak I took; Guns, Germs and Steel remains a book that anyone claiming to be civilised should have read), The Resilient Gardener/Carol Deppe and The Theoretical Minimum/ Leonard Susskind.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

drmoss_ca wrote:Oddly, I am also in the midst of Vol 3 of The Last Lion. It is often said that a biographer must like his subject, but must he like him so much? I prefer my WSC warts and all, including the aspects of his character that we should consider reprehensible. So far, this is more hagiography than biography.

Waiting on the bedside table are The World Until Yesterday/Jared Diamond (which I suspect will turn out to be A Book Too Far from the little sneak peak I took; Guns, Germs and Steel remains a book that anyone claiming to be civilised should have read), The Resilient Gardener/Carol Deppe and The Theoretical Minimum/ Leonard Susskind.

Chris
I need to read Diamond's latest book, too. Guns, Germans, and Steel was required reading for me a few years ago in undergrad; I'll never forget getting torn down by the prof when I told him the most convincing bits of the book to him were the most suspect to me. I often worry about the rigor of books that follow on after massive successes, but I'll find out when I read it.
Regards,
Mike
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

In case anyone is interested - if you'd like to check out books a little bit easier and quicker, in a dedicated setting, I've created a SMF group on Goodreads. If you'd like to join, send me a request - my Goodreads username is maskaggs as well.
Regards,
Mike
dosco

Post by dosco »

Slide Rule, an autobiography by Nevil Shute.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

maskaggs wrote:In case anyone is interested - if you'd like to check out books a little bit easier and quicker, in a dedicated setting, I've created a SMF group on Goodreads. If you'd like to join, send me a request - my Goodreads username is maskaggs as well.
ughhhhhhhhh

Nobody with the name " maskaggs" has signed up on Goodreads. If searching other variants of their name (eg Bill for William, etc) doesn't work, try using the friend finder
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have the Rod Stewart, the book called Unbroken and then the David McCullough book about Paris on my computer, downloaded from my Kindle. Any one wanna email me about seeing if I can send it and you can download it onto your Kindle? If you email me, just put SMF in the header so I know it is from someone here. Dont know if you have to convert or if it can just be copied from computer to Kindle

Similarly, Id be up to receiving the book on the Presidents Club or some history or biography books.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

fallingwickets wrote:
maskaggs wrote:In case anyone is interested - if you'd like to check out books a little bit easier and quicker, in a dedicated setting, I've created a SMF group on Goodreads. If you'd like to join, send me a request - my Goodreads username is maskaggs as well.
ughhhhhhhhh

Nobody with the name " maskaggs" has signed up on Goodreads. If searching other variants of their name (eg Bill for William, etc) doesn't work, try using the friend finder
You're right - I thought that's the username I had selected, but that's wrong - it's just in the email I sign in with.

Given that I put my first name in my signature and my last name is in the SMF username, I'm fine putting my full name on the board. I'm sure I can be found under Michael Skaggs on Goodreads.
Regards,
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: What are you reading?

Post by fallingwickets »

I guess everyone here has decided reading soap recipes is where its at now! :D :D (last post was apr :shock: )

the rider....tim krabbe

clive
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm usually reading a few at the same time.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

Next on the list is Gentlemen of the Road by Chabon.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I'm about to finish up the second volume of the Game of Thrones series, Clash of Kings. Waiting for long winter nights to begin the Churchill tome.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:I'm about to finish up the second volume of the Game of Thrones series, Clash of Kings. Waiting for long winter nights to begin the Churchill tome.
I finally finished the 3rd installment of Manchester's Churchill biography, which was actually finished by Paul Reid a close friend of Manchester. It took me 7+ months to get through it on my Kobo -- mainly because I wanted to savor rather than whip through it. It is an excellent tribute to both Manchester and Churchill and I think you will enjoy it greatly. It still puzzles me that Britain didn't actually elect Churchill until a full term post-WWII ...... politics is a weird profession for one to actually want to be in, that's for sure. Churchill was probably the most important political figure of the 20th Century -- certainly the first half of it.

After finishing up The Last Lion Volume III, I stooped down to Dan Brown's next installment of Robert Langdon -- Inferno. It was, well, OK but nothing spectacular. His best Langdon novel was Angels & Demons in my opinion, and he basically went downhill from there. If you don't take his writing too seriously, it can be a fun read, but certainly nothing like some of the other authors I have favoured over the years including Colin Dexter, PD James, James Clavell, Leon Uris, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, et all.

Looking for my next book now --- any suggestions? Game of Thrones doesn't have any interest for me, but otherwise I am reasonably open so long as the story is good, and characters are believable.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, if you like the Dan Brown books, have you read "The Name of the Rose" or "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco?
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Wendell, if you like the Dan Brown books, have you read "The Name of the Rose" or "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco?
Name of the Rose -- yes. It was fabulous ---- really liked it. I also have read all of the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom -- they are also very well done indeed.

Haven't read Foucault's Pendulum -- just went over to check it out on the Kobo store -- it's not cheap for an ebook -- $16. I'll try other ebook epub sites to see if it's any cheaper. Maybe it's time to re-read The Remorseful Day.
Wendell