What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finally finished le Carré's Karla trilogy. Admittedly, I still think that Smiley's People is the best of the three -- although it's only such a great book because of the previous two.

Have moved back to non-fiction, having started George Bush's Decision Points. I don't know who his ghost writer was, but to be honest, like his politics or not, it's an excellently written book and I am enjoying it immensely. It's not about the politics at all to me, I find it interesting to read these former leader's memoirs which give some insight into why they do what they do. It's a very fast read, I am finding as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Well done, Wendell. A big investment in time and intellect, but Le Carré is worth the effort.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:... A big investment in time and intellect, but Le Carré is worth the effort.
Agreed -- I will definitely read them at least a couple of more times in the next several years ..... they get better the more you read them.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Keeper of the Stream by Frank Sawyer.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Prayer of Jabez, by Bruce Wilkinson.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Your Best Just Got Better...Jason Womack
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Desperate Passage....Ethan Rarick

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
mikey

Post by mikey »

I just started Lee Child's Jack Reacher novel The Enemy.

Thanks,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I heard about one I would like to read, by Thomas Cobb - With Blood in Their Eyes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Re: With Blood in Their Eyes, by Thomas Cobb.

I picked up this book at the library today. Based on a true story. Looks interesting: from the inside cover: "On February 10th, 1918, John Power woke to the sound of bells and horses' hooves. He was sharing a cabin near the family mine with his brother Tom and their father Jeff; hired man Tom Sisson was also nearby. Then gunfire erupted and so began the day when the Power brothers engaged the Graham County Sherriff's Department in the bloodiest shootout in Arizona history."
Gary

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have recently started "Your Best Just Got Better" by Jason Womack.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Re: With Blood in Their Eyes, by Thomas Cobb.

I picked up this book at the library today. Based on a true story. Looks interesting: from the inside cover: "On February 10th, 1918, John Power woke to the sound of bells and horses' hooves. He was sharing a cabin near the family mine with his brother Tom and their father Jeff; hired man Tom Sisson was also nearby. Then gunfire erupted and so began the day when the Power brothers engaged the Graham County Sherriff's Department in the bloodiest shootout in Arizona history."
Hmmm ---adding it to my list of potential books to read.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Re-reading "The Tidewater Tales." Author John Barth, or someone who closely resembles him, sails the Chesapeake on a 25-foot wooden sailboat with his nine-months pregnant wife, telling stories and encountering characters closely resembling those of classic literature. The "doomsday factor" of the Cold War 1980's is a little outdated, but the book remains enjoyable for its unique narrative style and flights of fantasy, along with some very nice depictions of sailing the Chesapeake Bay.
Jim
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

To end all wars adam hochschild

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I pick up way too many books to read at once. Talk about first-world problems. My current reads include:

Reagin and Liedl's editing collection of essays _Star Wars and History_

Christopher Phillips's _Constitution Cafe: Jefferson's Brew for a True Revolution_ (I'm not getting political here. Phillips just explores whether the Constitution should apply across the board, as-is, in all cases. He doesn't often beat the reader over the head with his own views.)

Brandon Sanderson's _The Way of Kings_ (as epic as epic fantasy you're going to find.)
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Counseling with Your Counsels by M. Russell Ballard as well as Weakness is Not Sin by Wendy Ulrich. Rarely do I read two books in parallel other than my daily personal reading of scriptures, but both of these interested me greatly in connection with my church responsibilities.
Wendell

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Just finished The Thirteen Problems, a collection Miss Marple mysteries by Agatha Christie. I'm now reading the Dangerous Animals Club, a memoir by character actor Stephen Tobolowsky. He's the guy who played Ned the insurance salesman in Groundhog Day. A very engaging story teller.

Dave
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

brothers wrote:The Prayer of Jabez, by Bruce Wilkinson.
. Good book.
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

Picked up Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals yesterday. Started it last night and found myself regretting to have to put it down to go to bed.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
Barry

Post by Barry »

What It Was

by George Pelecanos