What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Paddywhacked

Post by Paddywhacked »

I plan on finishing Salt once I graduate on Saturday, I picked it up before the semester began and never finished it. I also have a long list of books I plan on reading before I start law school in a few months.
Eric
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Finally, something worthy of all the hype: Larsson's "The Girl Who Played With Fire." Now I have to get the other two in the series.
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Larsson's "The Girl
I must be the only person left standing who isnt it this series.... :? the trilogy(?) is considered one of the top 10 book gifts of the year....FYI :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Me neither, Clive. While it does interest me, some of the story line is too raw for my tastes, and as a result, I have never started it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Yeah, I was a latecomer to this, having heard all the buzz about it and still not feeling compelled. But I've been in a reading frenzy of late, and something finally triggered my interest. This second book in the "Millennium" series, as it's called, happened to be sitting on the library bookshelf all by its lonesome, and since the waiting lists for these things are weeks and months long, I grabbed it. Raw it is, and maybe the plotline is a 6 or 7 out of 10, but the characterizations and just plain good writing bring it up to a 10/10.
Ron
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I recently completed "Dragon Tattoo," and while it was interesting, it was a little too dark for me, and I found the translation lacking. I don't plan on reading the others.
Jim
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

In 1982 I started reading Life After Life by Raymond Moody. I found it very interesting, but half way through it I moved from Pittsburgh to York, and the book was lost in the move.

I recently picked up a copy, and I've started it tonight. I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing now.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I've learned about a website readers here might find interesting called Goodreads.

It lets you create a database of the books you are reading, have read, and plan to read. If you are so inclined, you can befriend others with similar tastes and discuss books with them.

Here's my book list: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/4689852
Fitness
Lijun badger
mlp2147

Post by mlp2147 »

Off the Grid by Nick Rosen
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just trying to get started on The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. 724 pages! :shock:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just started A Journey: My Political Life. 6 chapters in -- and I am quite enjoying it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Just started A Journey: My Political Life. 6 chapters in -- and I am quite enjoying it.
I'm glad you're enjoying it, Wendell. I started the book some time ago, but have put it aside, as I can't get into it. The first chapter left me cold and possibly poisoned the chalis for me. I haven't given up, however, and will delve into it again later this month. Meantime I've started Hugh Trevor-Roper's "The Last Days of Hitler"; a good read so far. Once I've finished that book I'm back to my childhood with Kipling's "Kim"; one of my all time favourite books.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

brothers wrote:Just trying to get started on The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. 724 pages! :shock:
I just finished the trilogy and think this middle book is the best of the lot. (What would you do with 435 million dollars?)
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

last full measure..... richard moe

clive
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

This week I read The Highly Effective Detective by Richard Yancey. It was very light with a lot of laughs.

I had never heard of it before a couple of months ago. The Mystery Guild and its sister book clubs are offering two Highly Effective Detective novels in one book as an anthology. I figured that the books were probably pretty good for them to do that, so I gave it a flyer. Glad I did.
Fitness
Lijun badger
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I just finished My dog Tulip nothing to write home about although the critics and hollywood disagree with me HAHA

I just started The Empty Family.....short stories by colm toibin

So far the stories are good

Clive
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Halfway through Swann's Way, with the rest of the series to follow. I'm not finding Proust an attractive writer, but I am determined to finish them. Then I have a couple more novels from Balzac's Comedie Humaine. I'm saving the half dozen of Trollope's 47 novels that I haven't read and will ration them gradually to myself. Light relief is gazing at Jim Marshall's Trust - a book of rock and roll photographs taken in the late sixties. Imagine shooting Janis and Grace (Joplin and Slick, that is) together! Lucky dog.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SRD

Post by SRD »

Doing a reread of James Harriot's All Creatures Great and Small. Just had an opportunity to view the entire 7 season production TV series via streaming with Nexflix. Since I have all 4 books in my library I decided to reread them. The TV series very closely follows the book.
Dave
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

On deck:

52 Loaves, by William Alexander, the story of a man attempting to bake the perfect loaf of au levain. So far entertaining in a light and frothy kind of way.

The Right to the City, by Don Mitchell. The obverse of the above.

Just finished: Medium Raw, by Anthony Bourdain. Wonderfully snarky.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Almost finished Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
Richard