What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
John Rose

Re: What are you reading?

Post by John Rose »

Kyle76 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:19 pm I have started “Gravity’s Rainbow” at least a half-dozen times and gotten into it as far as 250 pages and just couldn’t keep going. Maybe one day I’ll get all the way through it. I feel like I need a college-level course to do it, though.
Yup.
This time around I'm finding it a lot more difficult to get through.
It's particularly hard to keep track of who the POV character is at any given time, and where they are.
A bit easier than James Joyce's Ulysses though. I don't think I even got through the first chapter of that one,
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Finally finished Diamonds Are Forever and picked up a copy of the July 1964 edition of Playboy magazine.

Ahem, I'm a little behind on my periodicals reading.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think I might have mentioned The Taste of War here before. A fascinating look at how different nations made choices about food rationing and what a diet ought to look like under rationing during WW2. It seems she has done it again, just as I'm learning how to cook curries without 'curry powder' (a British invention entirely unknown to cooks in the subcontinent). Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors will make you hunger for spices and delicate flavours you never even knew existed. Poor, or lucky, India, had successive waves of invaders bringing ingredients and techniques from Persia, Portugal, Britain, France, the New World and so on. Tellingly, the people there made what they wanted of them, as is illustrated by the fact that all the vegetables introduced by the Brits, usually served boiled in Britain, are never, ever, served by boiling alone in Indian cuisine. I've been at this for a few months, making a new curry each weekend with NO curry powder. I love to open the cupboard with a shelf of spices, in whole and ground forms - cumin, green cardamom, black cardamom, coriander, nutmeg, mace, black mustard, fennel, curry leaves, turmeric, cinnamon, red and green chilli powder, fenugreek, asafoetida, nigella, poppy seed, sesame seed, anise seed, star anise, black, white and red peppercorns, cloves and so on - and take a huge lungful of goodness from it. It's wonderful - and all available (including a wet and dry spice grinder) from Amazon if not locally. I think I'm ready to fall at Lizzie's feet and worship.

But if you need to know why you should join me in my fascination with the joys of curry, the BBC have just released an old series of cookery programmes on curry on YouTube and they are well worth watching. The playlist starts here.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

EL Alamein wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm Finally finished Diamonds Are Forever and picked up a copy of the July 1964 edition of Playboy magazine.

Ahem, I'm a little behind on my periodicals reading.

Chris
Interesting articles in there, or so I've been told.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Interesting articles in there, or so I've been told
23 thumbs up
(sorry, couldnt resist)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Yes, interesting articles, um.

I do enjoy vintage magazines because they provide a window into what was at that moment and even more so for how they viewed the world to come.

Playboy is interesting during this period precisely for those reasons. The advice columns are fascinating in what they promulgate. Seemingly they get it right sometimes and seemingly they get it spectacularly wrong some times. Same with articles that view the future we are living in today. It provides a grain of salt for modern times and our own view on the future.

I also love the cartoons, they are funny as hell, direct and unencumbered by the biases we see today, only their own biases of the time. Kind of weird to see how this has evolved over time.

Of course the pictures are nice too.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Backlash by Brad Thor
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

I finally pulled the plug on Gravity's Rainbow (at around 110 pages) and went back to Caliban's War, book 2 in the The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey.
EL Alamein wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:24 pm I do enjoy vintage magazines because they provide a window into what was at that moment and even more so for how they viewed the world to come.
Perusing newspaper archives on microfilm is a real rabbit hole for me. History as it was being made, with no idea of how it would turn out.
And the ads.
F'rinstance,
  • Some stores would advertise that they accepted pianos as trade-ins on console radio purchases
  • Gift packs of cigarettes for Christmas
  • Syrups or pills that help you gain weight
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Blue Moon, the latest Jack Reacher novel from Lee Child.

Add: ...which is turning out to be pretty much a recycling of the past plot formulas, which is disappointing. Sure, don't fix what isn't broken, but hey, writing needs to be fresh and relatively original.
Last edited by churchilllafemme on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Apostle by Brad Thor.
Gary

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
brothers

Post by brothers »

When Worlds Collide and After Worlds Collide (1933 - '34) by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer

Note: I first read this science fiction novel when I was around 13 years old. It has always been one of my sentimental favorites because it was/still is quite a bit different than more well known sci-fi works. I only read it once and that was way back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth and life as we currently know it would have been a sci-fi tragedy in itself. I have some grandchildren that are about the age I was when I read it. One of them is a bit of a science fiction reader, and I have now located a NOS paperback copy which I am reading now. My plan is to send it on to her after I've re-read it. I'd be interested in her reaction. I've told her of my plan, and I think she'll enjoy it.

It is worth noting that the book was quite well-written regarding proper use of the English language and grammar, in addition to the rather intriguing window into regular everyday American life 88 years ago. Telegrams and household "help", and references to various and certain other social practices that would seem quite awkward and/or inappropriate if still practiced nowadays.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

After my annual year-end read of Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Soltice, I determined to read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings again. We have limited hard-copy versions of both and they are a joy to hold in your hands to read together with beautiful artwork and original line drawings by JRRT.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

jww wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm After my annual year-end read of Rosamunde Pilcher's Winter Soltice, I determined to read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings again. We have limited hard-copy versions of both and they are a joy to hold in your hands to read together with beautiful artwork and original line drawings by JRRT.
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are probably my most favorite reads ... followed by the Travis McGee series, and all the Dick Francis novels. Dick Francis was a champion steeplechase jockey in the UK, and he wrote a ton of novels, all loosely based around horses, riding and racing.

OH - and the Ian Fleming 007 books, of course.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

dark sun by richard rhodes

clive
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

In the middle of "From Russia With Love".

Chris
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Halfway through reading the script of a play that my wife is writing, titled "Tell the Bees".
It was inspired in part by this folklore thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telling_the_bees .
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I remember my brother chewing on chocolate flavour Wate-On when he was an impossibly tall and skinny teenager in the late 1960's. Essentially an excuse to eat candy for your health.

Just finished Guy Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier. Ostensibly autobiographical, it was probably a mix of fact and fiction about life as an private in the Wermacht on the Eastern Front 1942-1945. It is just like reading WW1 trench fiction: a horror of mud, blood, explosions, and terror.

Next up is Angus Wilson's The Old Men At The Zoo, and I must finish Douglas Murray's Strange Death of Europe (which was too depressing to read in one go). Beware of politicians who know better than the democratically expressed will of the people. It's a mis-en-scène for the Brexit saga.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

on the subject of bees, the bee keeper of aleppo was a nice read

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb