What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: What are you reading?

Post by brothers »

Got one off ebay, + free shipping. It'll be here in a few days. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Let us know how you like it.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I started that one, and then I started another book, giving me two to work on when I get back into the reading mode. The other one is The Gilded Age by Mark Twain. I think I'm going to like both of these.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

I just finished Bart Erhman's "How Jesus Became God". Erhman does a very good job and describing the intellectual, social, and spiritual environment of the time. It was a very good read for anyone interested in the development of early Christianity.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just finished The Historian for about the 5th time I think. Well written story, but the ending always leaves me ---- it's just too quickly resolved for me. The best part of the story is the anti-climax which comes about 70 pages or so from the end.

Gotta find me something to read next --- hmmmmm ..... maybe it's time to turn the pages of another Dalgliesh mystery.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

"One Way Out," a history of a The Allman Brothers Band.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Charlie Wilson's War
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:Charlie Wilson's War
Squire,

How is this book? I have been thinking about giving it a read.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Certainly worth it if you liked the movie. Of course Tom Hanks gets the play there but the Gust character is better developed in the book.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I remember seeing the movie (Charlie Wilson's War), and have to admit that was the first time I had ever heard of any of that stuff going on. I do recall that after seeing the movie and learning it was a true story, I felt I should read the book due to the way movies aren't usually entirely accurate about what happened. Maybe this thread will lead to my actually reading the book one of these days in the event I remember it.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Squire wrote:Certainly worth it if you liked the movie. Of course Tom Hanks gets the play there but the Gust character is better developed in the book.
Gust in the movie was another outstanding performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman. His last film, A Most Wanted Man, opens soon.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

PSH ... What a great actor. So sad.

I finished Unbreakable a few weeks back and I highly recommend it as excellent non-fiction fare.

I'm still at a loss at the moment as to what to crack a cover on.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

After I finished Protect and Defend I read what has been described as Richard Stark's (pseudonym for the late Donald Westlake) most recent book in the Parker series, Butcher's Moon. It was very entertaining. Now I'm considering another Clive Cussler's books, Plague Ship, one of the Oregon series.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

At this moment -- A Year In Provence by Peter Mayle -- one of my favourite any-time-of-the year reads. Just past the half-way mark. On the bedside stand for summer beach reading later this month in Maine are McCullough's 1776, and Philbirck's Bunker Hill: A City, a Seige, a Revolution.

This past weekend we were in Boston for a get-away, and we spent some time in Concord and area. While there we visited and toured Orchard House of Louisa May Alcott fame, and Minuteman National Historic Park. Both sites were well worth the time invested. The visitor's centre at MNHP has an outstanding multi-media presentation that takes you through the events of April 19, 1775. I have never been much into the American Revolution, but this visit really peaked my interests, thus the two books in line when I finish Provence.

I do have to admit that I was quite disappointed with Walden Pond Reserve -- we felt that we had ended up in the wrong place -- with the large public beach near the main parking, it was so crowded, and I wondered to myself whether this is what Thoreau would now think about his idyllic spot. Perhaps going back in the spring or fall when the swimming season is not on, we might find it more conducive to a visit. All this to say that Walden Pond is also on the bedside stand -- well to be fair, it's on my Kobo on my bedside stand.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell did you catch the film version of A Year in Provance starring the guy in your aviator?
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Wendell did you catch the film version of A Year in Provance starring the guy in your aviator?
Did 1 -- we own the DVD set.

It was and continues to be maligned as a poor adaptation to the book, however, we enjoy it immensely. Alfred Molino as 'le Tony' is excellent in his role as a boorish, loud and obnoxious Brit ad exec who longs for the life the Mayles have created for themselves. For me, it's as good as the book ........ and also for me -- John Thaw was never in anything bad --- period. :D
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Re-reading "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." Part travelogue, part legal mystery, part gossipy look at a lesser-known Southern city, it is excellently written and very interesting. I've read it before, but it's been awhile. Highly recommended.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:
Squire wrote:Wendell did you catch the film version of A Year in Provance starring the guy in your aviator?
Did 1 -- we own the DVD set.

It was and continues to be maligned as a poor adaptation to the book, however, we enjoy it immensely. Alfred Molino as 'le Tony' is excellent in his role as a boorish, loud and obnoxious Brit ad exec who longs for the life the Mayles have created for themselves. For me, it's as good as the book ........ and also for me -- John Thaw was never in anything bad --- period. :D
Wendell, or others, I see there is a movie called A Good Year based on the book with Russell Crowe in the lead role. Obviously, we're talking about a single movie vs. an entire series of episodes. Just wondering if the movie is regarded favorably, just for what it is, and not as an alternative for watching the entire series with Mr. Thaw.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You can obviously check IMDB, but I heard that it wasn't that good. Relatively speaking, however, the only way of knowing is to bring it up on Netflix or Hulu and give it a go.
Wendell