What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Gene

Post by Gene »

rustyblade wrote:Shogun - James Clavell
Great books! I enjoyed all his Eastern Novels.

I pulled down a bunch of the free ePUB books for my tavblet, just finished Dracula, which I had never read.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dark Watch by Clive Cussler
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gene wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Shogun - James Clavell
Great books! I enjoyed all his Eastern Novels.

I pulled down a bunch of the free ePUB books for my tavblet, just finished Dracula, which I had never read.
+1 on both of these books. Shogun was my second big honking read when I was a teen -- the first was QBVII - loved them both, and have read Shogun probably 3 or 4 times over the years. QBVII interested me when the mini-series was run back in the 70s.

Dracula is one of my two favourite books of all time (that and Austin's Emma). Whitby Abbey is the setting which inspired Bram Stoker to write it. It is so well done. We try to visit every time we get a chance to trek up to North Yorkshire -- been about 5 years since we last went - probably another couple before we go again.

If you like the Dracula story line -- you may be interested in reading Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. I really enjoy that one as well -- and it's about time I replace my paperback with an epub version for my Kobo, I read it that often.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

Reading two at this time:

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson, and
The Mormon Mirage by Latayne C. Scott
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Maybe my last hardback, this week at the beach, The Litigators by John Grisham.

My daughter just surprised me today with the newest Kindle. Doorbell rang, no one there, looked down, saw a package that said Amazon Returns. I figured, what did I forgot I sent in. Opened it up, Kindle.

I will get two books for the beach. Love Sports Illustrated, and read an except of a new book by Frank DeFord, about how he grew up in the sports business back in the late 60's and onward. Think I may get that. I was worried that these books are gonna be too much, as I haunt the bargain tables at Barnes and Noble, $6 or so. This book was just published and that is how much it is on Amazon Kindle. SO that is one book.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Sam wrote:Maybe my last hardback . . .
Sam, don't say that. It reminds me my old Barnes & Noble go-to in West L.A. has upped and left, and my local Borders has gone the way of the dodo. Is there no hope for the printed word any more? Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Rico? Very sad.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Finished Transfer of Power, moved on to the next book in the Mitch Rapp series: The Third Option by Vince Flynn.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Finished Death Comes to Pemberley - it was a bit of a lark, and had a very cheesy ending that only a Jane Austin reader would get (luckily I fit into that mold). I read it because I felt I needed to and was urged on in this endeavor by my wife and daughter.

I have returned to The Honourable Schoolboy -- and decided to restart it since it had been a few weeks since I had stopped, and you know what it's like when you are reading le Carré - if you loose focus, you will loose the story line. Love his stuff, but it does require one to concentrate, and I admit to often going back and re-reading a passage or chapter to make sure I get what is going on. It's also nice to be reading on my Kobo again - I just love that little device.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now I'm working on Follow the Wind, by Don Coldsmith. This is the third in his Spanish Bit series.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

jww wrote:... and you know what it's like when you are reading le Carré - if you loose focus, you will loose the story line. Love his stuff, but it does require one to concentrate, and I admit to often going back and re-reading a passage or chapter to make sure I get what is going on.
Yes, Wendell, Le Carré does require some work to make sense of all that is going on, but in the end, it's well worth it. He is an author, not just a spy novelist. Umberto Eco is another writer who requires intense concentration but offers great reward. The worst I have attempted is Thomas Pynchon. Despite repeated attempts, I have never made it through Gravity's Rainbow.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:... Umberto Eco is another writer who requires intense concentration but offers great reward. ...
Really enjoyed The Name of the Rose a lot -- a lot a lot! When I finish Schoolboy and Smiley's People, I need to look at a couple of Eco's works ..... they all look so good.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Foucault's Pendulum.
Jim
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

In 1929 Black Mask Magazine published in five-part serial form The Maltese Falcon. It was revised and published in book form early the following year.

I received for Christmas The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories which includes the original version of The Maltese Falcon, not published since 1929.

I finished this original version last night. I read the book version a year ago as part of a book club. I preferred the magazine version because I found the plot easier to understand. Great story!

I have been enjoying the Black Lizard book since the first of the year. It's over 1100 pages. If you enjoy hard-boiled detectives, I highly recommend it!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Foucault's Pendulum.
That's the one that interests me the most at the moment for sure.
Wendell

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Chaps wrote:Just finished reading, The Reagan Diaries.

Danny
I had that, could have saved you the bucks.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Just ordered the recent Laura Hildebrand book on a WW2 guy and the David McCullough book about Americans living in France in the 1910's and 20's, ordered on my Kindle
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:Just ordered the recent Laura Hildebrand book on a WW2 guy and the David McCullough book about Americans living in France in the 1910's and 20's, ordered on my Kindle
My son praises Unbroken up and down, and is a huge fan of anything McCullough has written -- I believe he owns close to the entire McCullough library. He speaks very highly of both of these books -- enjoy!
Wendell

SRD

Post by SRD »

Reading Blue Morning Done by Jeff Hull. This has been an outstanding read thus far and if you enjoy fly fishing for trout you will love this book. This is Hull's first book and in my opinion is quite the first effort. Highly recommended.
Dave
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

What is this McCullough book? I'm currently reading a novel about Hemingway and his wife in Paris in the '20s, along with Fitzgerald, Stein, Dos Passos, Pound, etc.
Jim