What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Yasunari Kawabata - The Master of Go
Richard
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

rustyblade wrote:Yasunari Kawabata - The Master of Go
Excellent book. I'm reading Kawabata's 'The Snow Country' this winter. My 10-year-old daughter and I have been reading all things Japan lately. (She picked up the interest from her teacher who had spent time in Japan.) We're reading a lot of Lafcadio Hearn together.

jt
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

jthomas60506 wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Yasunari Kawabata - The Master of Go
Excellent book. I'm reading Kawabata's 'The Snow Country' this winter. My 10-year-old daughter and I have been reading all things Japan lately. (She picked up the interest from her teacher who had spent time in Japan.) We're reading a lot of Lafcadio Hearn together.

jt
I'm on a Japanese Literature kick also. I picked up Naomi by Junichiro Tanizaki the other day.
Richard
Dale

Post by Dale »

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. This is the book that inspired Leo Tolstoy to become a novelist.
Regards,
Dale
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Our Kind of Traitor by John LeCarre'. Perhaps his best work since the end of the Cold War kind of took away his stock in trade.
Jim
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Also just picked up the graphic novel "Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. I've never read a graphic novel before, or even read that many comics, but I'm looking forward to this change of gears.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

The Inimitable Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse
Richard
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thumbs up on anything Jeeves.
rustyblade wrote:Also just picked up the graphic novel "Watchmen" by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. I've never read a graphic novel before, or even read that many comics, but I'm looking forward to this change of gears.
It ain't a kid's comic book, that's for sure. But a masterpiece of the genre. Another clever idea by Moore is "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Don't go by (or buy) the movie, which was awful.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Listening to The Thirteen Gun Salute by Patrick O'Brian.
Regards,
Squire
Messa

Post by Messa »

just finished the fall by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, bit of different spin on vampires. Just started reading Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks
infotech

Post by infotech »

Just finished Into the Wild by Jon Krauker and am starting Into the Air by the same author.
James
Books

Post by Books »

Lately I can't seem to stick with one book, I've been reading a bit and setting it down and moving on.
Tonight for work I started Drood by Dan Simmons.
Bob
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Books wrote:Lately I can't seem to stick with one book, I've been reading a bit and setting it down and moving on.
Tonight for work I started Drood by Dan Simmons.
Have you read Hyperion? That is on my list.
Richard
Books

Post by Books »

Love Hyperion.. If you like Sci-Fi it's a must read.
Bob
Messa

Post by Messa »

Keep looking at Hyperion will have to read it now
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
Richard
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hooray for SF! I just finished Decision Points by W. Informative and very funny in some parts. After finishing DP, I started an SF novel called The Founder by Christopher Rowley. I'm on page 124 now and it's pretty darn good.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I'm now reading Alone, the second installment in William Manchester's planned triptych on the life of Winston Churchill, titled The Last Lion. I've read many Churchill books, and this series is the best, IMO. Unfortunately, Manchester died before writing the third book. This one only takes the reader up to 1940.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:I'm now reading Alone, the second installment in William Manchester's planned triptych on the life of Winston Churchill, titled The Last Lion. I've read many Churchill books, and this series is the best, IMO. Unfortunately, Manchester died before writing the third book. This one only takes the reader up to 1940.
+1. That was the last book I read before picking up Winter Solstice (my annual Christmas read) and then moving onto Tony Blair's "A Journey ...." which I am still enjoying immensely. It reads in such an open and folksy way, I am convinced that he didn't use much of a ghost writer. It is just like listening to him talk.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:I'm now reading Alone, the second installment in William Manchester's planned triptych on the life of Winston Churchill, titled The Last Lion. I've read many Churchill books, and this series is the best, IMO. Unfortunately, Manchester died before writing the third book. This one only takes the reader up to 1940.
+1. That was the last book I read before picking up Winter Solstice (my annual Christmas read) and then moving onto Tony Blair's "A Journey ...." which I am still enjoying immensely. It reads in such an open and folksy way, I am convinced that he didn't use much of a ghost writer. It is just like listening to him talk.
Interesting how people's taste vary, Wendell. I'm labouring through "A Journey" after having put it aside for a few weeks. I keep getting bogged down by the minutiae. As we like to say on SMF, YMWV.