What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

The Friars have a pretty strong basketball history, and a number of great players and coaches have come through the program.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:The Friars have a pretty strong basketball history, and a number of great players and coaches have come through the program.
But on a bit of a downturn as of late though - playing spoiler rather than leader.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

Visited Cannery Row in Monterey for the first time this past week. And now I am reading "Cannery Row" for the first time (and wishing I hadn't waited so long.

jt
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I've got three books going: Steve Jobs, Killing Rommel and The Talented Mr. Ripley. All are good.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Separation of Power by Vince Flynn
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I have two going on my Kindle

One Nation, Uninsured : Why the U.S. Has No National Health Insurance by Jill Quadagno

and

The Dead Man (Jack Davis Thrillers) by Joel Goldman
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Kyle76 wrote:I've got three books going: Steve Jobs, Killing Rommel and The Talented Mr. Ripley. All are good.
Jim,

Interested on what you think of Killing Rommel. Let us know when you finish.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Diverted briefly last night from Bernard Cornwell to read The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Took me all of an hour to read -- and having seen the film, was interested in the original treatment of the material. It was surprisingly enjoyable and the artwork is fabulous.

Then tapped on Cornwell again this morning to read another 50pgs or so of the 3rd Saxon series book ..... love his treatment of 9th century England.
Wendell

i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Factotum by Bukowski
Rob
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Post Office by Bukowski
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

Three Men in a Boat- Jerome K. Jerome. I don't usually post in this thread but anglophiles, and people who like British humor, will enjoy it.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

ThePossum wrote:
Kyle76 wrote:I've got three books going: Steve Jobs, Killing Rommel and The Talented Mr. Ripley. All are good.
Jim,

Interested on what you think of Killing Rommel. Let us know when you finish.
I'm about halfway, and I can tell you that if you have any interest in Rommel, desert warfare or the Rat Patrol, you will enjoy it. It's fiction, but very accurate fiction. Rommel is easily the most fascinating German military leader of the war. Even his enemies had a hard time disliking him.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've finished Vince Flynn's Separation of Power, and with that momentum built up for his style of writing, I stopped in at the used book store this afternoon and picked up another one of his, this time I got Executive Power. I started it today, and figure it might take as long as a month, depending on how aggressively I try to plow through it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Amazing gracie

8)
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Back onto Bernard Cornwell's saxon stories. This time it's book 4 of the series - Song of the Sword.
Wendell

KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The Napolean of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton.
I've long read Gilbert: He is easilly the most overlooked writer
today and incredibly current on so many topics.
I just finished rereading my collection of Earnest Shackelton
materials. I first read about Endurance while on a southern patrol in
those very waters.I am still awstruck those people managed such an incredible feat of navigation and seamanship. I was on a icebreaker
and half expected us to sink at any moment.
What ANGERS me are the fossilised lies in modern literature about people.
One writer years past said G.K.s wife was a "frigid catholic who fed him into obesity to avoid sex." Fact is he first converted and his wife later joined him. Their not having children was a shared sadness.
When the whisky cache form Shackleton's earlier expedition was found,
a writer for OUTSIDE Magazine ( a real rag) wrote that he was a cronic alcoholic. The recorded history by his captain was E.S. was a near teatotaller and the one time he took a drink on Doctor's orders was asleep ( the desired effect) instantly.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I haven't had the chance to pick up a copy of Stuart Woods' new Stone Barrington novel, D.C. Dead, and now I find he's got an even newer one that's just showed up, Unnatural Acts. Hope they're better than his previous work to those two, Son of Stone, which was awful. He's contracted to put out even more books per year than before and it read as if he phoned it in. His novels are mind-candy, and last year I ended up going through his entire collection so feel obligated to keep up.
Ron
Persius

Post by Persius »

Light reading only: Dr No. It's not literature ... but an enjoyable holiday read.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What's the point in reading if it's not enjoyable. I've studied enough.
Regards,
Squire
Persius

Post by Persius »

Squire wrote:What's the point in reading if it's not enjoyable. I've studied enough.
OK - so now I have no fear admitting that I have Agatha Christie lined up next. I promise to read a Trollope thereafter (honest).