What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

drmoss_ca wrote:. . . For the sake of my sanity I am now immersed in . . . 'Woodcraft and Camping' and imagining myself sleeping in a wool blanket bedroll under the stars of the eastern woodlands, whilst dreaming of the doom of a large trout tomorrow. Such is the happy life.
I wouldn't necessarily characterize this as "happy," living a bit of this life as I am now, but it is richer in many ways than what preceded it, so will endeavor to find the book to help with perspective and tick prevention. Thanks.
Ron
Trout Whisperer

Post by Trout Whisperer »

Just finished Why We're Not Emergent by DeYoung and Kluck

Beginning The Power of Presence by Kristi Hedges
"Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free." — A. W. Tozer
Trout Whisperer

Post by Trout Whisperer »

drmoss_ca wrote:...dreaming of the doom of a large trout...
Next time I'm in Canada we should make that happen.
"Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free." — A. W. Tozer
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm about halfway through Alistair Maclean's HMS Ulysses from 1955. I'm glad to have chosen this one. Takes place aboard a British Naval vessel engaged in convoy duty in WW2. Fiction, but evidently the author knows what he's talking about. I'm finding it very engaging. As I said, halfway through and I'm already dreading the day I've finished it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

McLean's books have always been fan favourites of mine. I read many of them when I was a teenager and they never left me wanting. Short, intense, well written, and always with a great twist at the end.

For myself, I finally finished the first of the Bartimaeus Trilogy and found it, well, only so-so, and decided I couldn't find the motivation to make it through the final two. My son told me how it ends -- so I don't feel too badly done by.

I have been considering picking up The Map of Time - it has some rather good reviews -- and seems interesting -- and then I think of all the history books I haven't picked up on a long time and then get stalled in being able to choose a book to read. More research, methinks.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Lately, I've been reading The Power of Babel/A Natural History of Language by linguist John McWhorter.

I'm fascinated by language history, development, division into dialects, and such, so this is right up by alley!

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

And last night I decided that I enjoyed Bernard Cornwell so much, I downloaded The Pale Horse -- which is #2 in his Saxon series. Very entertaining stuff. And I still have a $15 Kobo gift certificate from Christmas that I have yet to redeem.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil by Tom Mueller

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
mikey

Post by mikey »

I just finished Toys by James Patterson.

Thanks,
Mike
Messa

Post by Messa »

Another Chine Mieville book, Kraken.
Just finished player of games Iain M. Banks and very keen to read use of weapons now
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just finished HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean. It took me a while, and that's the way I like to read a good book.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Steve Jobs bio. He was an odd combination of positive and negative personality traits as well as artistic and technological talent. He was also in the right place at the dawn of the computer era. Probably the greatest entrepreneur in history.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Killing Rommel.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

brothers wrote:Killing Rommel.
Gary, I assume this is about Erwin Rommel? He's an interesting character and was among the most honorable Nazis. How is it?
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, it's about the one of the special units that were tasked to go after him as he was deemed to be the only reason the German armored forces were being so effective in Africa. I've just started it this weekend, and it contains a lot of detail. He was from the old school, treating the wounded from either side with great care, leading from the front. Uncommon traits. I'm hoping to enjoy reading it.
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Rommel was part of a plot to kill Hitler. He was allowed to commit suicide after the plot failed.
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Just finished The Match by Mark Frost. Probably going to move on to The Greatest Game Ever Played, also by Frost. His writing can lean towards the way too epic to describe rather mundane things, but the stories themselves are worth the read.
Regards,
Mike
giammi

Post by giammi »

"If this is a man" by Primo Levi.

Consider if this is a man
Who works in the mud
Who does not know peace
Who fights for a scrap of bread
Who dies because of a yes or no.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I walked out this AM to toss teh trash and recycle.
I just brought in the 4th box of dicarded books.
OMG! countless paperbacks of well known and ( to me) obscure plays
books on Shakespeare, plays by Christopher Marlowe and the 3 volume Civil War by Shelby Foote!
Where to start?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

KAV wrote:I walked out this AM to toss teh trash and recycle.
I just brought in the 4th box of dicarded books.
OMG! countless paperbacks of well known and ( to me) obscure plays
books on Shakespeare, plays by Christopher Marlowe and the 3 volume Civil War by Shelby Foote!
Where to start?
Shelby Foote, of course.
Jim