What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I finished Killing Rommel and enjoyed it. It pretty much stayed with the desert campaign with only a tiny bit at the end about Rommel's actual death, which I would have liked more detail about (he was allowed to take cyanide after being implicated in a failed plot to assassinate Hitler and the Germans publicly blamed his death on an American attack). Good detail about the British long-range desert patrols, small mechanized groups that went deep into the desert to circumvent the Germans and perform sneak attacks. They endured harsh climate, mechanical failures, privation and many other hardships to perform their missions.

I'm full into The Talented Mr. Ripley now. Creepy.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

Trail of the Spanish Bit, The Spanish Bit Saga, Book 1
by Don Coldsmith

Mr. Coldsmith wrote the first of 29 books in the Spanish Bit Saga in 1980, and the last one in 2008. He passed away in 2009, I believe.

This from the back cover: "Set in the New World of the early 16th century, Don Coldsmith's acclaimed novels recreate a time, a place, and a people that have been nearly lost to history. With the advent of the Spaniards, the horse culture came to the people of the Plains. In The Spanish Bit Saga we see history in the making through the eyes of those proud Native Americans who lived it."
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Honourable Schoolboy.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Dexterous

Post by Dexterous »

Ashenden by W. Somerset Maughm. These short stories are based on Maughm's own experiences as a British Intelligence agent in Switzerland during WWI. It is said that these stories inspired Ian Fleming when he began the James Bond novels. Recommended.
Detroit - You wouldn't last a week here.
My Blog - shaving product reviews and more
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The Adversary by Agatha Christie, and the Fr brown series by Chesterton.
Ed
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Gerald Carson's The Social History of Bourbon. A thirst-inducing book if ever there was one.
Regards,
Mike
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Shogun - James Clavell
Richard
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Troublesome Young Men about the young MPs who helped Churchill advance anti-appeasement and finally rally public opinion against the Nazis in the 1930s. It's by Lynne Olson, who also wrote the excellent Citizens of London about Edward R. Murrow and other American ex-pats who helped bring the US around to aiding the Allies and then joining the fight.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Elk-Dog Heritage by Don Coldsmith
Last edited by brothers on Thu May 24, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers.
笑う門に福来る。
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

1984 by George Orwell. Read it in college a long, long, time ago. Just a re-read to gain a different perspective of it 40+ years after first read.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ThePossum wrote:1984 by George Orwell. Read it in college a long, long, time ago. Just a re-read to gain a different perspective of it 40+ years after first read.
Always have enjoyed that one -- as well as Animal Farm -- both classics, imo.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Dark Watch by Clive Cussler
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

At the prompting of my wife and daughter, I put aside LeCarre in favour of P.D. James' Death Comes to Pemberley. I am a massive fan of Baroness James of Holland Park's books - especially her Adam Dalgliesh mysteries - and find her a rather interesting individual -- her biography is well worth reading for anyone who has picked up a Dalgliesh book.

Anyway-- Schoolboy will wait in the wings while I digest the Baroness' tribute to Jane Austin which she wrote to tell the story behind the story of Pride and Prejudice. In other words, she always felt that Austin meant more to P&P then meets the eye on the surface.
Wendell

ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Agatha Chritsie And Then There Were None
笑う門に福来る。
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ZethLent wrote:Agatha Chritsie And Then There Were None
Top notch reading, that.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive Cussler's Sacred Stone. It made me stay up too late last night. Had to force myself to stop and put it aside.
Gary

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Just finished reading, The Reagan Diaries.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Was that any good Danny?
de gustibus non est disputandum
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Just finished "Bitter Seeds" by Ian Tregillis and I thought it was just fantastic.