What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
maskaggs

Re: What are you reading?

Post by maskaggs »

Got a few things on the reading pile at the moment, including:

_A Wicked War_, by Amy Greenberg. I knew next to nothing about the Mexican-American War before starting this, so it's been a pleasure.

_Teeth of the Tiger_, by Tom Clancy. I'm a sucker for espionage/technothrillers.

_Lies My Teacher Told Me_, by James Loewen. As a history educator-in-training, it's thought-provoking, if a little polemical from time to time.
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Started Foucault's Pendulum ..... not yet an exciting read, and the beginning parts seem to be way over my head ----- I have only once or twice started and not finished a book in my entire life, and I am seriously considering it now ..... it has great promise when you read the precis, and gets great reviews, but I do admit that it does feel bloated at the front end. Only on page 30 so we'll see how it goes. The Remorseful Day keeps on bidding me from the bookshelf ..... and there are a couple of Robin Cook's novels I was thinking of reading --- I always enjoy his stuff, even it can be far-fetched ... always makes me wonder.

Oh well -- it's Pendulum for the moment ..... and we'll just have to see how it develops for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

Back to my addiction to the American Civil War: "Gettysburg: The Second Day", by Harry Pfanz.
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Can anyone recommend a good history book on the French Revolution? I am hoping to find something along the writing styles of Simon Schama or David Starkey if possible.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

A Tale of Two Cities? Stick with Foucault, Wendell. Eco is a challenge, but a rewarding one. It's been a long time since I've read it, so I can't comment on how long it might take to grab you, but if you liked Name of the Rose, I think you'll be glad you read Foucault's Pendulum.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks -- Tale of Two Cities is on my list to read, but I am looking specifically for good history/fact book that is well written.

Pendulum is intriguing --- not about to drop it yet --- as I mentioned before, I am only on page 30-something and I have only once or twice in my memory not finished a book. It's a typical Eco dis-discombobulated beginning. All this first person takes a bit of time to get your head around that's all.

I gotta re-read Name of the Rose one of these days as well. Loved that book.
Wendell

churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I am re-reading A Death in Venice, in the series by Daniel Silva about the Israeli spy/art restorer Gabriel Allon, while waiting for the books I've ordered through my local libraries to come in.
_______
John
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

jww wrote:Can anyone recommend a good history book on the French Revolution? I am hoping to find something along the writing styles of Simon Schama or David Starkey if possible.
Popkin's A Short History of the French Revolution might be a good place to start, Wendell. I read it for class a few years ago and found it really accessible; it also has solid references to more substantial books, too.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Fre ... 943&sr=1-1
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thx mike.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Talking of Paris, I waded through much blood and gore in The Twelve Children of Paris by Tim Willocks recently. I can't really recommend it, and bought it out of curiosity as Tim was in my class at medical school. It's the second part of a trilogy and is set at the time of the St Bartholomew's Day massacre of the Huguenots. It's predecessor was better, and involved the great siege of Malta. Both will teach you some history, but they are mostly edged weapons and blood.

For some reason I missed one of the books of the much-lamented Douglas Adams, so The Salmon of Doubt is up next.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Barry

Post by Barry »

I put Shantaram (in e-book format) on hold at the library and now it's available - sooner than I expected.

I can't wait to get my new Kindle Paperwhite. Hopefully it will ship on time because I'd like to take it with me when I go bike camping later in October.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

drmoss_ca wrote: For some reason I missed one of the books of the much-lamented Douglas Adams, so The Salmon of Doubt is up next.
Make that two of us.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a timely(?) coincidence i guess Wendell, but i just received a book by r.r. palmer: Twelve who ruled Its supposed to be a brilliant piece on the revolution, but I havent read it yet to comment personally

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm reluctant to admit I'm not reading anything currently, even though I have some very tempting stacks nearby. I've been distracted, I suppose.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I've been distracted, I suppose.
houeswives of nj or homemade soaps??????? :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
wimbouman

Post by wimbouman »

William Gibson - Spook Country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spook_Country
Have a nice day!
dosco

Post by dosco »

I'm re-reading Stephen King's The Shining in preparation for its sequel, which IIRC was released yesterday.

I read a bunch of King's stuff when I was in college ... 20 years ago. Sigh.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Road Dogs by Elmore Leonard. I used to like his stuff a lot, but eventually it just seemed sort of smugly self-satisfied and repetitive, so I quit. Now it's been many years, and I'm giving him another chance.
_______
John
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Ed
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

churchilllafemme wrote:Road Dogs by Elmore Leonard. I used to like his stuff a lot, but eventually it just seemed sort of smugly self-satisfied and repetitive, so I quit. Now it's been many years, and I'm giving him another chance.
I had the same problem with Carl Hiassen. One of his more recent books is sitting on my nightstand but I can't quite bring myself to starting it. One day---maybe.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy