A manley mug to drink from

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
razorburned

A manley mug to drink from

Post by razorburned »

I'm sitting at work having my afternoon tea an a biscotti when I realize my mug is overly heavy, and need not be. I figure while I am at it (the whole adding things to my holiday wish list thing) I should add a new mug to my list. But what to get???? Can you gents help me out?

Requirements:
* 12 to 24 ounces (no prissy little 6oz flowered tea cups for this bloke)
* able to retain beverage heat well
* not as heavy as my current work mug (from what I found online, about 1.3lbs empty)
* not white. Darker is better.
* not plastic or one of those insulated travel cup things.

My work mug (below) has adequate volume (about 24 ounces) and holds heat well, but is heavier than it needs to be.

My home mug (below) also is of adequate volume (20 ounces) and is lighter, but does not hold heat very well. Additionally it is only available in white, which has 2 problems. This first is that it looks like an over-grown souffle dish with a handle, and the second is that all metal utensils used to stir the contents leave behind little grey lines on the inside of the mug, which is rather annoying.

Any of you gents know of a mug that fits my criteria?
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Holding heat seems to me usually (approximately) a function of weight, at least when ceramic mugs are the only thing under discussion. But the big heavy mugs have to soak up a lot of heat in order to hold it - do you heat yours by swishing it in hot water before using it?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Emma Bridgewater mugs for me.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

if it were me,,,i call contact julie at dirtybird..

she can make or anything you want..
i ahave talked to her about making a coffe mug for myself,,

here is a tea mug off her website

marc

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've given up on ceramic mugs ever retaining enough heat to keep my tea hot. They can be microwaved back up to temp, certainly, but that's not the point. I've gone against tea etiquette and used Thermos Nissan tea/travel mugs successfully. They keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold forever -- and, no, I don't know how they know how to do this. :)
Ron
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rsp1202 wrote:They keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold forever -- and, no, I don't know how they know how to do this. :)
It's the hollow walls. Very effective insulation from the air temperature outside the mug.

Or were you joking about an ad I haven't seen, or something? :)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Interesting to read how big of a mug you are looking for. Not a tea person, but over the years my cup preference has been veering toward thimble size.

pet peeve: wait staff pouring hot beverage into half filled warm/cold coffee or tea cup

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

marsos52 wrote:if it were me,,,i call contact julie at dirtybird..

she can make or anything you want..
i ahave talked to her about making a coffe mug for myself,,

here is a tea mug off her website

marc

If ever there was a right-handed only mug, that is it!
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

mug discrimination....call the cops quick!!!

:P :P

clive
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

notthesharpest wrote:Or were you joking about an ad I haven't seen, or something? :)
Old joke.

Here's the Thermos Nissan tea mug I referred to earlier. It's tough but of light weight:

Starbucks has their version (heavier; for coffee), but the Thermos is superior in holding heat:
Ron
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

The biggest reason I am against the thermal mug thing id thst most I have seen are plastic. Either the beverage area is plastic (the worst kind) or the lid is plastic (not much better), both of which change the flavor if the drink. So I would need to find one with either glass, silver, or gold lining the beverage area and remove the lid to drink.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The major coffee chains all sell good-quality big mugs, if you don't mind the advertising on the side.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

notthesharpest wrote:The major coffee chains all sell good-quality big mugs, if you don't mind the advertising on the side.
A suitably mild abrasive foils the plans of the marketing department. :twisted:
Ed
95%

Post by 95% »

Metal (stainless steel or aluminum) is a good insulator if it's heavy enough. The Starbucks mug pictured above in Ron's post is probably a good bet. For the last 7 years I've used a fine mug sold at Barnes & Noble. It was beautifully painted when new, but the paint eventually wore off, revealing a highly polished metallic body underneath.

I make my coffee with a press pot. Just before adding the hot water to the pot, I pour a bit into the mug to warm it up while the collee is steeping. This prevents the coffee from cooling off the moment it's poured into the cup.
Porter
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Not classy or sophisticated but cool I think:

http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/tumbler

Last edited by matt321 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I don't like advertising on a cup's exterior, and despise plastic-interior mugs. For office desk use, a little extra weight helps keep the thing anchored and out of your lap. My problems have come from the handled variety, which are either too small or large for my fingers, so uncomfortable. Aesthetically, I like ceramic/stoneware mugs because of their looks, but I find they don't impart any different taste than the stainless. So the latter has been a good compromise, at least for me. The mugs I spotlighted are stainless inside and out and you can drink from them without a lid. I don't know what one does to avoid plastic tops, but they do come off.
Ron
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

The skull of one's foes is very manly. When I want something that fits in my cupholder I use a Nissan Thermos Leak-Proof Travel Mug (it comes with a carabiner and is therefore somewhat more manly than similar mugs).
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

cjc15153 wrote:The skull of one's foes is very manly. When I want something that fits in my cupholder I use a Nissan Thermos Leak-Proof Travel Mug (it comes with a carabiner and is therefore somewhat more manly than similar mugs).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

What you need is a classic Eddie Bauer "Chubby" stainless steel mug. Stainless steel inside and out. I have a pair of them that came with a plastic top that one really does not need due to the design of the mug. Thanks to my wife's habit of putting tops in one place...and all containers in a completely different place...I no longer have the tops.

I took a photo of one of mine below.

http://twitpic.com/35s53k
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock: :shock: :shock: