Attended Wicked This Past Weekend at Toronto's Canon Theatre

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Attended Wicked This Past Weekend at Toronto's Canon Theatre

Post by jww »

We have been wanting to see this musical for some time, but never had the chance to do so previously, so when in May the return engagement to Toronto's Canon theatre was announced, we purchased tickets right away as a birthday gift for my wife. We were not disappointed in any way -- except for perhaps the voice of Fiero -- he was sub-standard when compared with the rest of the cast - but you can't have everything, can you.

I am not sure what I enjoyed most -- the many fabulous tableaus, the music, the incredibly talented small company (22 or so in total from my count at the curtain call), the costumes, lighting or staging. It was truly an excellent show -- and one which I would see again, should they end up in Ottawa for a limited engagement.

Attending at the Canon is a delight -- it's so intimate at the orchestra level even though the theatre itself is quite large - with seating of over 2500. We saw Phantom here when it was Garth Drabinski's Pantages Theatre -- it's just magnificent.

If you ever get a chance to attend this one -- make sure you do -- really well told story, outstanding music, and great staging/lighting.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Audience intimacy is something many productions overlook. Jilly-Mack Selleck told me she made eye contact with Tom while dancing in the London production of CATS.
I recently saw a local college production of THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST.
Great fun :D
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I saw Wicked at the Durham Performing Arts Center in April. I believe it was the first stop for the touring company. Great fun!
Jim
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I saw Wicked in New York five years ago. Great show. Would love to see it again.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

We saw it October 2009 at the Memphis Orpheum theater. We love shows and when in NYC try to catch as many as we can. Saw Memphis, the musical, and loved it as well. For the others, go see Mama Mia, it is great in person, and better than the movie.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Actually, I have never really been interested in Mamma Mia on stage or screen. Not my cup-o-tea, I suppose. I am not a fan of Cats either -- and many of my theatre-going friends think I am bonkers on that point. On the other hand, I loved Jekyll and Hyde -- and that was very poorly attended when it toured back in 2000 so go figure.

Fiddler on The Roof is touring at the moment, and in Ottawa in the next couple of weeks -- but we decided on Wicked instead of Fiddler. My middle son and his girlfriend are going when it's here. He has more disposable income than I do -- how so you ask??? He's a student -- they always seem to have more disposable income than the rest of us...... :wink:

I'd like to see Billy Elliot -- if for nothing else than to hear the Northern English accents. :D
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Actually, I have never really been interested in Mamma Mia on stage or screen. Not my cup-o-tea, I suppose. I am not a fan of Cats either -- and many of my theatre-going friends think I am bonkers on that point. :D
I had the same opinion as you of Mamma Mia until I saw the stage production in Las Vegas 3 years ago. SWMBO came up with free tickets so we decided to go and much to our surprise we enjoyed it thoroughly. Not the most intelluctually stimulating entertainment, but good fun nonetheless. As concerns Cats, or, for that matter, most anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber, I didn't like it. I find there is a certain monotonous sameness about Lloyd Webber's musicals, with the one exception being Evita. I don't know Wicked so I'll have to look it up.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

For a good time, if it is running, try A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I saw it on Broadway with David Alan Grier and someone else. Funny.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:... I find there is a certain monotonous sameness about Lloyd Webber's musicals, with the one exception being Evita. I don't know Wicked so I'll have to look it up.
Wicked was written by Steven Schwartz (lyrics and music) and Winnie Holtzman (book) - so nothing remotely like Sir ALW.

Insofar as Lloyd Webber is concerned -- I rank Phantom, Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat and Evita equally good on stage. I have had no interest in seeing any of his other works, but do own the soundtrack for Aspects of Love, which I like - but again, have never been interested in seeing it on stage.
Wendell

PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

I've seen it twice in San Francisco; took my wife for her birthday last
Year and my best friend and his wife as a thank you for being my best man this year. I would go see it again.