For Marmite aficionados

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

For Marmite aficionados

Post by Rufus »

SWMBO returned last night from her semi-annual pilgrimage to the homeland, England, and brought me the most intertesting gift: "Very Peculiar Milk Chocolate". The wrapper describes it thus, "With a hint of Marmite indulgence. A perplexing treat that bewilders the tastebuds."

I've eaten Marmite all my life and enjoy it greatly, especially in a sandwich with watercress. In all my years as a Marmite consumer, however, I've never come across it combined with chocolate. My tastebuds are intrigued; I can hardly wait to taste it.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My favourite is Marmite on hot buttered toast, layered with marmalade - the sweet/salty is divine! ...so I get the perplexation... :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Grilled cheese on toast and Marmite, divine.
Much like a touch of chocolate can enhance Chili, maybe a touch of Marmite can enhance hot chocolate?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ichabod wrote:Grilled cheese on toast and Marmite, divine.
That's what I'm having for lunch today and I'll use my George Foreman Grill.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Rufus wrote:
ichabod wrote:Grilled cheese on toast and Marmite, divine.
That's what I'm having for lunch today and I'll use my George Foreman Grill.
I have a turkey sandwich... :cry: ...but on the weekend!!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I've tried it, expensive at our import shoppe. One should always be familiar with the food customs of different people; filipino balut, inuit umluk,aussie vegamite, british marmite, yanomamo monkey brains and california rolls ( sushi)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

One thing I do admit from shying away from in my "anglophilliac-ness" --- and that's Marmite. My wife loves the stuff.

But more to the point -- what other chocolate or indeed shaving gear did she bring back from the homeland to you????? :wink:

I am a total sucker for Yorkie bars -- not for the birds, ya know!

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Those sure beat out wine gums :!:
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:One thing I do admit from shying away from in my "anglophilliac-ness" --- and that's Marmite. My wife loves the stuff.

But more to the point -- what other chocolate or indeed shaving gear did she bring back from the homeland to you????? :wink:

I am a total sucker for Yorkie bars -- not for the birds, ya know!

She also brought several large Cadbury's Fruit & Nut bars (my favourite chocolate bar), 16 bars of Cusson's Imperial Leather soap, 2 boxes of Yorkshire Gold tea, the 2011 Beano Annual, the 2011 Dandy Annual, the 2011 Rupert Annual, a bottle of The Macallan Select Oak Single Malt from the 1824 Collection (from acorn to glass takes over 100 years), and Marcus du Sautoy's "The Number Mysteries, A Mathematical Odyssey Through Every Day Life". I think she also has several birthday and Christmas gifts squirreled away in her cases. Alas, no shaving supplies, but I did manage to stock up this summer on Guernsey; also, I'm not sure I want her selecting untried shaving supplies for me.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

KAV wrote:I've tried it, expensive at our import shoppe. One should always be familiar with the food customs of different people; filipino balut, inuit umluk,aussie vegamite, british marmite, yanomamo monkey brains and california rolls ( sushi)
Yes - it's dirt cheap in the UK, and crazy expensive here. I try to remind my parents to chuck a jar in any time they send a parcel to the grandkids. Sometimes they remember.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Marmite is good, but thinner and less concentrated than it used to be. Seen the Marmite-flavoured rice-cakes you can buy in the UK now? Not bad. Those who enjoy yeasty goodness should also try Twiglets.

And talking of chilli and chocolate, my ambition is to make a mole poblano one of these days. But since the wife is vegetarian it seems a bit wasted on Tofurky (and not that any kind of sauce could make that abomination palatable).

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

I'm a Vegemite man myself (being an Aussie and all).
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

You can now buy cheddar cheese flavoured with Marmite. Together at last!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Seamaster wrote:You can now buy cheddar cheese flavoured with Marmite. Together at last!
I like that; what a great combo.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Chris -- your mention of Twiglets reminds me of the Mr Bean's New Year's Eve show where his Twiglets box was empty, so broke up some actual twigs off a tree and dipped them in Marmite to offer his guests. Love that show -- years on it still busts my gut to watch any episode -- thankfully I have the complete DVD collection.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

Many of these unique foods are to me proof positive that many foods we eat now were probably first eaten on a bet.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Chap

Post by Chap »

For a board populated by people who crave refinement in their colognes and scented products, I am surprised to see Marmite garner such praise, the stuff tastes about as awful as it looks.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Marmite on generously buttered toasted rye. Mmmm.

Marmite always reminds me of axle grease.

Spent yeast never tasted so good.
Richard
Araner

Post by Araner »

KAV wrote:I've tried it, expensive at our import shoppe. One should always be familiar with the food customs of different people; filipino balut, inuit umluk,aussie vegamite, british marmite, yanomamo monkey brains and california rolls ( sushi)
Sorry, but Balut! Not on my watch mate. I'm open to a lot of things, but I have to draw the line on this one.

Araner
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

What the hell are you people talking about?

Does it go on grits?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed