Carpet Cleaner help

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Carpet Cleaner help

Post by Sam »

My wife says our Hoover Steam Cleaner is broken. I don't know but if it is, we need to replace it. So anyone got the March 2010 Consumer Reports rankings?

Also, she wants lightweight, which means smaller motor and from what I would gather, that would suck less water and solution out. So she can't get great cleaning and lightweight in one machine.

Any suggestions or one you just recommend?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ok, anyone with the ability to maybe scan in the CR article for me?
merkri

Post by merkri »

We recently bought a new Hoover that we're extremely pleased with, but it's not lightweight (in fact, that's my one gripe about it).

I'm reluctant to just repost the CR ratings, but they're fairly easy to summarize:

The ratings overall were pretty similar, except for the Hoover Dual V Steam Vac (F7452-900), which they rated somewhat higher than the rest, and the
Bissell QuickSteamer 1770, which they rated somewhat lower than the rest.

In general, they seemed to rate the Hoovers more highly than the Bissells, with the exception of the Hoover Steam Vac w/Power Brush (FH50010), which they rated with the Bissells. It's also worth noting that the actual cleanliness ratings were pretty similar between the brands on average, with the variation depending on other factors (e.g., ease of use, drying, etc.).

They recommended a couple of the Bissell ProHeat models, as well as the above Hoover, and Hoover model F5914-900.
merkri

Post by merkri »

Just to follow-up -- I think the Hoover Dual V Steam Vac is the one we have.
function

Post by function »

Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Sam,
I just talked to my 86 y/o mom who has worked at SnEARS for 18 years selling and using vacumes and carpet cleaners. This is the anecdotal opinion of somebody who has owned both and taken them back. To quote " Bissells are 10x a Hoover. Hoover's leak, if not now, they will. Reminds of your uncle....." :oops:
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Went with the Hoover F5914-900. Smaller tank and lighter weight and maybe no heat thing on it, but it was rated highest at consumersearch.com (thanks Nick) and #1 at Amazon and about 3rd best at Consumer Reports. Amazon gave me free shipping and I used their promotion to score $40 off by getting a Visa, which I will close at some point, so $100 even shipped. It would cost me over $100 to fix the one I had (bigger tank though) and no warranty after 90 days, so wife is happy. Chris, I would have gone Bissell easily but wife picked and she went with the $$
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

At day's end what the customer likes is the most tangible criteria.
thepast123

Re:

Post by thepast123 »

merkri wrote:We recently bought a new Hoover that we're extremely pleased with, but it's not lightweight (in fact, that's my one gripe about it).

I'm reluctant to just repost the CR ratings, but they're fairly easy to summarize:

The ratings overall were pretty similar, except for the Hoover Dual V Steam Vac (F7452-900), which they rated somewhat higher than the rest, and the
Bissell QuickSteamer 1770, which they rated somewhat lower than the rest.

In general, they seemed to rate the Hoovers more highly than the Bissells, with the exception of the Hoover Steam Vac w/Power Brush (FH50010), which they rated with the Bissells. It's also worth noting that the actual cleanliness ratings were pretty similar between the brands on average, with the variation depending on other factors (e.g., ease of use, drying, etc.).

They recommended a couple of the Bissell ProHeat models, as well as the above Hoover, and Hoover model F5914-900.
Hi merkri,
Thanks for giving this information. but could you please provide me more information about Bissell carpet cleaner? because I want to buy this cleaner.
MotifSky

Re:

Post by MotifSky »

Sam wrote:Went with the Hoover F5914-900. Smaller tank and lighter weight and maybe no heat thing on it, but it was rated highest at consumersearch.com (thanks Nick) and #1 at Amazon and about 3rd best at Consumer Reports. Amazon gave me free shipping and I used their promotion to score $40 off by getting a Visa, which I will close at some point, so $100 even shipped. It would cost me over $100 to fix the one I had (bigger tank though) and no warranty after 90 days, so wife is happy. Chris, I would have gone Bissell easily but wife picked and she went with the $$
Hoover models are really nice, I'm glad that you found a nice one for you and your wife! :) I had one of them too and it worked very well for many years, only several years ago I needed to change it to a new one :P
In case of vacuum cleaners I prefer now the canister ones, I like the most of all such brands as Miele and Bissel like on these examples from Cozzy, also some Dyson models are good too, I got one of them and I'm satisfied with its quality :)

However I still don't like to clean my carpets because there's always so much wool because of my cats... :P