Farewell To The Harrier

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
IanM

Farewell To The Harrier

Post by IanM »

Goodbye to the Harrier.

From BBC News:

"Harrier jump jets flown by the RAF and Royal Navy have taken part in their last operational flights.

The aircraft is regarded as one of Britain's greatest military innovations, but the jets are being retired early as part of Ministry of Defence spending cuts.

A 16-strong fleet took off from RAF Cottesmore in Rutland on today's farewell journey to several other air-force bases before returning home
."

I have had the great pleasure of photographing some of these aircraft. They'll be missed.

Harrier by Ian Myatt Images, on Flickr

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

=D> for the great pics you take and post here

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

sweet. that was one iconic plane!
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

That it performed as well as it did, for as long as it did, is a testament to the pilots who flew it and especially the mechanics who had to service it. A bloody nightmare. Good luck to them on the new F-35B Lightning II.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8rasV-_G4w
Ron
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Sopwith/Hawker always made innovations or ideas work.
An earlier naval fighter with the first variable pitch tailplane.
It made the triplane literally a 'hands off' plane that could be trimmed to perfect balance and was a precursor to the system allowing supersonic flight.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I guess all good things have to come to an end someday. I feel the same way about the F14 Tomcat.
When I was in the Navy, I can still vividly recall the F4 Phantom making bombing runs dropping napalm. When they say the Navy pilots (Jarheads too! :P ) are the best that is the absolute truth! Hoorah!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

We used them when I was in the Marine Corps (Hmmmmmmm don't ask when). Outstanding air support. Hate to see them go. I also liked the A10's. Sounds like a bear growling when they shoot. Scared the hell out me the first time I heard them shoot.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Falklands was my first awareness of this aircraft.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444